VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Geekdom and Mainstream  (Read 2736 times)

Midnight

• Vassal
  • Midnight at the Movies
Re: Geekdom and Mainstream
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »

There is a reason that "The Big Bang Theory" is one of the highest rated shows on TV. BTW, if you have not seen it, it is one of the few TV shows that can make me cry I am laughing so hard at it.

Netflix seasons 1 & 2. Well worth it.
Host of Midnight at the Movies
MidnightAtTheMovies@gmail.com
MidnightVTW on Twitter

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »

There is a reason that "The Big Bang Theory" is one of the highest rated shows on TV. BTW, if you have not seen it, it is one of the few TV shows that can make me cry I am laughing so hard at it.

Netflix seasons 1 & 2. Well worth it.

your not the only one>.<

I'd also like to point out that facebook is another "geek" thing that is a normal and accepted thing now. Hell even farmvile was on the news.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »

I'd also like to point out that facebook is another "geek" thing that is a normal and accepted thing now. Hell even farmvile was on the news.

And I would like to say that farmville is pointed at a certain audience that, in my opinion, is far from geek culture. Farmville is an insanely basic game that literally anyone can pick up, but has the addictive traits of something like Runescape, in order to capture the audience of new users who wouldn't understand a more complex game.

An obvious example would be my own mother who has sat and watched me play through WoW and try to explain things like CC or on Halo and trying to explain the semantics of the kill system, but she's fine with getting a new black sheep on farmville =/

Facebook I agree with, something like that would have been geeky just 8 years ago or so. There's certainly an obvious boom since digital media has begun to help out even the most unsavvy computer user.

This topic reminds me of a certain re-occurring article I keep up with: http://www.collegehumor.com/tag:parents-just-dont-understand/articles
Pages: 1 [2]