VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Geekdom and Mainstream  (Read 2735 times)

zulack

• Novice
Geekdom and Mainstream
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »

Hello,

This idea came to me when I was taking a shower in the morning.

It has brought to my attention that the society is moving in a very interesting direction since the past few years.
Many people might have realized this and this topic could have been brought to peoples' attention before, but I had this urge to talk about it anyways.

Even though we understand what it is to be a geek or what constitutes as geeky material, only few know what geek is or can draw a definite line. But at the same time, it might be that it is impossible to define what geek is.
Nonetheless, we pride ourselves as geeks and acknowledge, recognize and respects other fellow geeks.
We have undergone our fare share of deviation from mainstream society and embarrassment, to an extent.

I remember from one episode of Octale and Hordak, the hosts talked about how 'bejewel-players' are trying to associate themselves as hardcore gamers and pet owners could argue that they are going through the same experience as parents taking care of children.
But, looking at the main stream medias nowadays, it seems like they is trying to conform, or at least, appear as if they understand and represent the geek-community.

A cell phone provider mentions a video game character in its commercial, more and more comic movies are being made and remade and television shows name drops famous video games.
There might be not enough supporting data above but I do feel like we all have recognized some of the materials mentioned in the media.

On a different point of view, media referencing and using geeky material might be natural and inevitable. As the world is becoming more advance in technology and a whole generation is becoming immersed in geek hood, the media might have no choice but to use these materials to apply to the public.

Fans of the original material appreciate easter eggs and references in the media but the general public appreciate and enjoy it regardless.

The once shunned and looked down upon community is being brought out to the public now.
It's difficult to say that this is a good or a bad phenomena. As a matter of fact, it might be just 'a phenomena '.

I feel like the lack of evidence and confusing argument might have not made much sense at all, but thanks for reading.

Any opinions?

-Zulack
The True Zulack Experience

Aliandras

• Monk
  • The Battle Mistress
Re: Geekdom and Mainstream
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »

I think that over the years it has become more acceptable to be a geek. Therefore, more geeks are coming out of the woodwork and are not afraid to admit who they are, what they do, and/or their lifestyle. This means that the "geek" crowd is growing so the mainstream media is more willing to go for that market.
"Rule #32: Enjoy the little things" ~ Zombieland

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I am of the opinion that all this commercialization of geek culture is just that, commercialization. It is being productized and monetized because it is more acceptable to be a geek, and the massive commercial machine doesn't care about what it is currently exploiting, only that the profits keep flowing in.

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »

The world will truly never really understand what the gaming community is. Its a lot more then people sitting behind a TV/desk for a few hours a day and eating chips. I don't speak for everyone but here at VTW i feel like in a way we are all family and look out for each other in ways the "normal world" most likely will never understand.

Vandal

• Vassal
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »

I think the term geek is becoming more acceptable because of the maturity of the age group. I view the origin of being a geek before my generation, and now that they are out of high school, past college, and in the real world, where being a geek means something, its become more acceptable. It still sucks to be a geek in highschool. Hell, im a closet geek still, but hopefully that will change in college.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »

Quote from: Vandal
hopefully that will change in college.

College is awesome and let no one tell you different.

Evilotaku

• Monk
  • Its not easy being Evil
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »

I believe that part of it is what Thistledown says. We are now a demographic and a viable market force. Geeks are early adopters and free word of mouth marketing. But I Think a bigger part is that the children of the 80's are now in positions of creative power. unfortunately, marketing-types don't quite get us and probably never will.

another thing thats changed in the last 15 years is the advent of the Internet. During the 80's and most of the 90's being a geek meant being a social outcast. The Net gave rise to a true geek culture that we all can relate to.
My friends call me Haduken 'cause I'm Down Right Fierce.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »

unfortunately, marketing-types don't quite get us and probably never will.

Erm = TRH? Now tell us that marketing doesn't get 'us' (or at least > 100,000 of us)

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »

unfortunately, marketing-types don't quite get us and probably never will.

Erm = TRH? Now tell us that marketing doesn't get 'us' (or at least > 100,000 of us)

TRH is just more conclusive proof that people, in general, are stupid.

The marketeers don't get us.  Remember when the Macy's parade "Rick Rolled" all of us?  The light leaving "getting it" will never reach those people.  What's true is that tech is a serious growth sector; therefore, people in tech jobs have a good bit of $ to throw around.  Those people also happen to be 'geeks' in general, though many of them, at least in Aerospace, are not.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Barryva

• The Baron VonAwesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Baron
  • Scourge of the 7 IRC's
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »

I hate to tell you this but geekdom actually went main stream in the 1970's. When a group of upstart movie director's started winning awards and breaking every box office record over and over again. You see these director's were the first generation in Hollywood that grew up watching movies and TV.  Every Director before them (for the most part) was inventing the movie industry as they went along. But these guys grew up consumers, and then went on to be the first generation of guys that went to college to study Cinema. Their movies were reactionary and they turned Hollywood on its ear by reinventing Genres that had been up to this point classified as B-Movie genres. Gangster Movies, Monster Movies, Science Fiction, non of these were big budget genres until these guys made them so, in fact only film geeks were into them.

So who am I talking about?

Martin Scorsese. Steven Spielberg. Francis Ford Coppola. George Lucas.

the First generation of guys who became Millionaires for making geeky mainstream.
Pages: [1] 2