VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Arguing.  (Read 5650 times)

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
Re: Arguing.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »

Screw the rules i have green hair!

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »

Screw the rules i have green hair!

Ever my favorite.

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »

LMAO~!

TheOlz

• Novice
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »

I think the most important thing to remember when "arguing" is to try your best to leave emotion out of it.

Present your case, with backup/references if applicable, and respond to the other persons argument, not them directly.

Also, remember when someone states something as opinion, it is just that. Opinion doesn't mean fact, it means "I beleive...".  I see so many arguments get blown out of control because someone forgets that, or attacks someone's opinion as though it was stated as pure fact.

When all else fails, remember the Wil Wheaton rule... "Don't be a dick!"

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »

Quote from: TheOlz
I think the most important thing to remember when "arguing" is to try your best to leave emotion out of it.
I disagree with that. Any two perfectly reasonable and logical beings should agree on any circumstance. Where reasonable and logical beings differ, emotion comes into play. Our emotion is inseparable from our reason; it is what makes us us and not just everyone.

Also, remember when someone states something as opinion, it is just that. Opinion doesn't mean fact, it means "I beleive...".
This is a perfect example of my above point. People debate on opinions, not on facts, and opinions are feelings given mental form. I don't mean to offend with the following example, but it is the one issue

Aaron and Bill both agree on what an abortion is, because it is a fact. There is no possible room to disagree on this fact because in all given circumstances, it is proven true. However, Aaron believes that abortion in unethical and Bob believes it is ethical. They are free to debate upon this point because the morality of abortion is based entirely in feeling.

Of course, one could debate with me on the level of metaethics I used in my example, if you so choose, but that isn't the point. One could also point out that reason isn't necessarily tied to emotion but I could cite more examples contrary to this argument.

...and I'm afraid I'm getting too wordy and too off topic so I'll just stop there. Sorry if it feels kind of abrupt, because it is.

TheOlz

• Novice
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »

I disagree with that. Any two perfectly reasonable and logical beings should agree on any circumstance. Where reasonable and logical beings differ, emotion comes into play. Our emotion is inseparable from our reason; it is what makes us us and not just everyone.

Yep, I worded what I meant really badly.

You're right, and I'm way to tired to try to properly reconstruct what I meant, but I think it's more like, it's ok to be passionate about something, but don't take arguments to heart.  Don't get emotional on a personal level, don't let the emotion overtake your argument, something like that.

Gah, that's still an awful explanation of what I mean...

The 2nd quote you took from my post, I think, is much more along the lines of what I meant. People will disagree with you, don't get all upset, or worse angry and make it personal.  

Apologies if that makes little to no-sense, running on about 2 sleeping hours in the last 72.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:41 AM »

Apologies if that makes little to no-sense, running on about 2 sleeping hours in the last 72.
Nope, you totally made sense, especially because I am very familiar with sleepy-logic (and lack-of-sleep-logic). Its funny how after 36 hours awake or 15 minutes before falling asleep that everything seems crystal clear and why can't I think this way when I'm awake oh I'll do this when I get up yeah thats a totally good idea right yeah it is...

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »

How ironic .. or possibly appropriate, if this turned into a flame war and I had to lock the thread =p

But thanks for the points guys, it's appreciated. The ability to debate correctly is fantastic in many workplaces and general social situations. =)

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:28 AM »

How ironic .. or possibly appropriate, if this turned into a flame war and I had to lock the thread =p

You are a poopy head! >:(

Joking aside, even if you don't know how to "properly debate" as it were, knowing the basis of debate--attacking and defending points in terms of the points themselves and not the person making them--will find you gathering more respect (grudging given, ofttimes) and able to command a stronger presence going into a new issue.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »

You are a poopy head! >:(

Joking aside, even if you don't know how to "properly debate" as it were, knowing the basis of debate--attacking and defending points in terms of the points themselves and not the person making them--will find you gathering more respect (grudging given, ofttimes) and able to command a stronger presence going into a new issue.

Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

But yeah, and it's good practice of logical thinking. Opens your mind up to new views and judgements.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4