VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Arguing.  (Read 5652 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Arguing.
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »

Over my many years of forum going, I have seen so many stupid arguments that are based on illogical premises and have irrational conclusions. Here is a simple guide of how to come across correctly and well, without risking your neck on the forums.

1) Do not get into an argument when you're too heated to speak calmly or rationally. It is best to calm yourself before attempting to deal with the conflict. Calm yourself before engaging in any type of conversation this will allow you to think clearly, and come across as a respectable intellectual.

2) Do not be confrontational and pose in a defensive manner, but make sure to be assertive when arguing your point by looking at the individual at his eyes. A person communicates assertively by overcoming fear to speak his or her mind or trying to influence others, but doing so in a way that respects the personal boundaries of others. Assertive people are also willing to defend themselves against aggressive incursions.

3) Do not blame the person for everything without hearing them out first and avoid using the words "always" and "never".

4) Do not use your argument to belittle the person and explain what makes them bad or wrong, but explain how the situation affects and bothers you. Make them understand how their argument is incorrect and illogical to you and why.

5) Do not assume or interpret what the person is saying. If you do not understand their argument, ask them to explain it better, without offending if possible.

6) Before stating anything you regard as complete fact, find evidence and link it. Make sure your evidence is something reliable however.

adapted from an ehow article and wikipedia article on assertiveness

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
Re: Arguing.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »

<3

If only the internet would follow this:)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »

"Even a 1000 mile trek starts with one step" =)

If this prevents one argument in the lives of the hundreds of members here, it's worth it.

Totalbiscuit

• Monk
  • He feeds on your Tears
    • The Cynical Brit
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »

Well that doesn't sound like any fun at all

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

Well that doesn't sound like any fun at all

Haha yeah sorry man, I know how much you like doing fair arguments that crush the souls of people into a tasty mushy paste ;)

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »

You should also note that you should only argue a point if you actually have a chance at succeeding. Debate for debate's sake is a little childing and more than a little counterproductive. Sure, you may sound intelligent, but what it boils down to is neener neener I'm right and you're wrong most of the time. Not all arguments follow this pattern of course, but your general internet creep with views strongly opposed to your own probably doesn't follow this idea.

You must always be willing to walk away when you walk into a debate.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »

Agreed. If you are proven wrong don't cling onto points that were proven wrong =)

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »

That wasn't quite what I meant. If you are debating a point with someone and it isn't going anywhere because your opposition is too stubborn or isn't making rational arguments, just move on. But yes, if you are clearly wrong, you should move on too.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »

Ah apologies, yes I agree.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »

I find myself violating most of these points on a regular basis whenever I tell someone how wrong they are.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4