VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A strange question to ask in a geek culture forum  (Read 3246 times)

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
A strange question to ask in a geek culture forum
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »

So I figured stranger things have been asked on the internet, and considering we have a friendly, quality community here full of people who pass for rational in a poor light and some who might in a good one, I thought this was as good a place as any to ask this.

Razor burn.

All my life, every time I get done shaving, I spend the next hour or so feeling like I did the job with a rusty cheese grater rather than my razor, even with a fresh blade. Now, no one ever taught me how to shave, if such a thing is even necessary, so I don't know if I'm doing something drastically wrong, although none of my friends seem to think so. I use a Gillette Fusion razor (which was selected at random, not knowing any better) and have tried a number of different shaving gels, with little difference between the levels of face-torn-off sensation in the aftermath.

So I'd like to ask: What techniques or tricks do any of you out there use to minimize the effects of razor burn?
Also: Any recommendations on shaving implements or gels or whatever? Don't suggest a straight blade razor, those things are terrifying. My flatmate still has a scar on his neck from his only attempt with one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:59:19 AM by Vaulisel »

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: A strange question to ask in a geek culture forum
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:39 AM »

Wow poor your flat mate O_O

I tend to get a strange rash if I don't use the more upmarket shaving foams. I also either use after shave or moisturiser on after shaving, both sting but it's worth it. Especially the moisturiser, that's your best bet =)

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »

Not wanting to sound terribly metro-sexual, but have you tried using some kind of moisturiser after you shave?
For example: http://www.boots.com/en/Gillette-Series-After-The-Shave-Moisturiser-75ml_860848/

I personally use this razor and love it (though the blades are BLOOOOODY expensive!):
http://www.boots.com/en/Gillette-Fusion-Stealth-Power-Razor_48161/

It's an expensive failure, but you could consider an electric razor, though I personally don't feel they do as good a job.

Best of luck, Eid

Grail

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

Some quick tips:

1. Shave immediately after getting out of the shower.  The steam from the shower will help your skin and cut down on the abrasiveness.
2. Use warm/hot water on your razor blades when shaving so your skin stays warm.
3. Never had a massive preference on shaving cream so use what ya like.  If your skin is sensitive, avoid overly fragrant ones.
4. After you get done shaving, turn the water to cold and splash it one your face.  This is a bit of a wake up but helps close your pores.
5. Use some sort of moisturizer once you towel off. 
6. Change your razor blades regularly.  This is very important as a rough blade is going to cut ya up no matter what you do.

Grail
I chose something different.  I chose the impossible.  I chose Rapture! -Andrew Ryan

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »

1. Shave immediately after getting out of the shower.  The steam from the shower will help your skin and cut down on the abrasiveness.

I actually shave in the shower 95% of the time.

Eid

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »

Eid

yeah same, saves alot of bother and stops the chance of your shirt getting wet and looking like you drooled on yourself all day :p

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »

Eid

yeah same, saves alot of bother and stops the chance of your shirt getting wet and looking like you drooled on yourself all day :p

Babysitting a baby cousin of mine all week doesn't help this cause at all. =/

But on topic, I'm taking notes to be honest, I've never really had anything to shave yet being nearly 18 and all, but the one time I shaved the little mustache I had it burned like some hot fire. Good to know these kinds of things.

Grail

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Eid

Definitely works, having  a fog-free mirror in the shower is super helpful.

Grail
I chose something different.  I chose the impossible.  I chose Rapture! -Andrew Ryan

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »

Eid

Definitely works, having  a fog-free mirror in the shower is super helpful.

Grail

I tend to put a bit of the shaving foam on the mirror, then wash it off after :]

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »

@Gohex, making a smiley face? :)

Pages: [1] 2