VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bi-Weekly Art Contest?  (Read 3062 times)

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
Bi-Weekly Art Contest?
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »

So, on another forum I'm fairly regular with (Ninjavideo) they have a few different weekly and bi-weekly competitions. They tend to be along the lines of produce a piece of art, on a particular theme or with a certain colour in mind. I'm sure they have similar things on many forums.

As I've just recently purchased a computer after 6 months off I'm eager to get a lot of work done, so I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in something similar? I've seen that there are a fair few people here with interest in art, whether it be photography, digital, photo-manip.

Essentially, a theme would be chosen (with specifics for resolution, format etc.) and those who opt-in would have a week or two weeks depending on feedback to come up with a piece. After everything is submitted, a poll goes up and a week (or some appropriate amount of time) is given for votes to be cast and a winner chosen. In this format and if there is enough interest, one competition can be running while the results from another are taken.

Anyway, would anyone be interested? And if so, what specifics would you like for allotted time, frequency etc?

Daksa

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
Re: Bi-Weekly Art Contest?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »

That's a great idea.  However since I draw at a second grade level I would not be participating.  If there is enough interest among the talented I would love to see this.
I don't heal.  I hit things really hard then they kill me.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »

Hm well since people here are so varied and generally not artists I'd say perhaps monthly? Give everyone plently of time to a) Make the current and prepare the current art for the next project and b) vote and select previous competitions winner :)

Would the winner win anything? Perhaps a shoutout to their website on the podcasts if they were willing?

Themes could be interesting. Even simple ones like "Love for pets" or "Love for tech". I'd say the competitions should be in any format (e.g. drawing, digital art, photography, painting, sculptures) and in any resolution really. So long as it's not 3200x1600 like my monitor, not many people would be able to see it ;)

Great idea though Valrick, I'm genuinely excited. Would you be interested in running this? I'd be willing to help out. =)

Valrick

• Baron
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »

Monthly sounds fine to me. To be brutally honest with myself, over the years I've developed terrible workflow, so it takes me some time to finish a piece lol.

A shoutout on the podcasts is a really great idea. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with anything else to go with that.

As you say, simple themes are very interesting, and sometimes provide even more scope for innovation. For example, I've taken part in contests with themes such as "Heat" or "Earth". It really gives people room to work. Having an open format is a good idea too; anything which makes it easier for people to get involved. As for resolution, I think a minimum res. might be a good idea. Just too keep things on a reasonable scale.

I'd be willing to run things for sure and any help would be appreciated. Hopefully we can get a bit more feedback in the thread and maybe a shoutout pimping the idea in a podcast? *hint hint*

Shriggs

• Vassal
  • not lazy or procrastinate, just right
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »

yeah I'd be game for this, an maybe there can be different art contests going on at once, like best digital picture, best drawn, fanfic, diarama like when tb asked for people to make the grunty fortress

Valrick

• Baron
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

yeah I'd be game for this, an maybe there can be different art contests going on at once, like best digital picture, best drawn, fanfic, diarama like when tb asked for people to make the grunty fortress

Great to see more interest.

As for more contests going on at once, we'll have to wait and see what the level of interest is. If we can get 4 or 5 regulars it'll make for a great competition and we can expand from there.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

Well I'll try my hardest to take part as often as possible.

Easter is coming up, and people will have a lot more free time then.. we could discuss a topic for the first competition, rules, prizes etc before then. Sound good?

Valrick

• Baron
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »

Well, I'm eager to get started, though I am currently working on a mammoth vector piece; 602 layers and going strong  :P

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Theme: Birth
- Start date: April 3rd
- End date: May 1st
- Format: Open
- Resolution: Min. 1000x1000x pixels
- Submissions: Max 3 submissions per person
- Images to be posted in seperate thread opening April 24th
- Winner decided by 2 week poll in submission thread
- Prize: Podcast shout-out and 1 month premium subcription on DeviantArt

What you think? Anything else need to be decided?

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »

Sounds good. Theme of birth is open minded I hope? So not just baby birth, but birth of new things, phoenix rising from ashes etc would be accepted as interpretations of the theme?

3 submissions? I was thinking just one, but I don't see why not =)

I think that sounds great though mate. I'll get thinking on what to do for it. Thanks for organizing it =)

Valrick

• Baron
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »

Yep, I thought birth would be appropriate with easter, spring and the start of the competition, so take it as you will.

As for the 3 submissions, I think it's good to provide the option. With the month long format there's more scope for people (especially those working in more immediate mediums such as photography) to submit a range of pieces. There's nothing stopping someone from still submitting one piece if they feel that's what they want to do.

I'll send some PM's to the show hosts now to see if I can sort out some shout-outs to give the comp. a bit of press.
Pages: [1] 2