VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with Document Management  (Read 1298 times)

psuath

• Friar
Help with Document Management
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

Hey all
I'm looking for solutions for a document management system for my work.  Basically all it would need to do is be a repository for various file types (AutoCAD drawings, PLC programs, Quality Procedure Documents, etc.)  As well as keep a revision history for each document.  along with that, it should have user access levels to dictate what files users can see, read or fully edit.  I don't think we'd need anything with an approval process, i.e. if I create a document, my boss and his boss woudln't need to "approve" it before going back into the system as the "latest" revision.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

If you want any more information, let me know.

Thanks

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
Re: Help with Document Management
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »

Step 1: Do not use sharepoint
Step 2: DO NOT USE SHAREPOINT
Step 3: Use a good version control system

Personally I'd be tempted to investigate SVN.
  • You can set up the access control you need
  • It works nicely with binary data as well as with text data (basically when you're editing a binary file, like an autocad document you lock the file first)
  • It ROCKS with text file data management (nice optimistic locking and merging)
  • There are multiple clients ranging from open source web based ones (ViewVC for example) to tight desktop integration under windows with Tortoise, with command line clients, Mac clients, linux clients even android clients!
  • You can, if needed expand upon your use should approval process be needed either with the way you work (moving documents from the trunk to an approved tag) or with bespoke apps that do similar ideas

Finally, DO NOT USE SHAREPOINT*

*To be honest Sharepoint is not actually the evil of all worlds, however every implementation of it I have seen has been excessively complicated and did not actually meet the requirements of the company. In short, keep it simple.

Eid

psuath

• Friar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Lol.  I only said Sharepoint because we used it at my last job, and it seemed to work fairly well.  Granted, I wasn't involved with it for that long.

I'll have to check out SVN.  Really, I won't need Mac/Linux/Android support due to being a Windows based origination.  Also, we may only have at most 15 people using the software as those users would then distribute paper copies of the files.

I've also found some other applications after various digging. Document Control from Harrington Group, Document Locator from Columbia Soft and Master Control Documents from Master Control.

I'd really like a OTS type system with as little programming/setup as possible.

Thanks for the help!

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »

I agree with the SVN suggestion combined with fisheye which allows you to visually see the history of commits.