VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Show Feedback  (Read 4644 times)

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
Show Feedback
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »

Have feedback for the show? Post it here. Constructive criticism is welcome. What follows is a list of known issues.

Known issues:
Microphone buzz on the live stream only.
Need to work on better bgm normalization
Ari's buzz is back
Word clipping
Fix images so they show up on air
Resolved issues:
10% speed up - I've found the problem and it has been fixed. The show SHOULD sound much more natural.
Squeaky Chair - I've greased her up so she shouldn't come through anymore over my mic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:43:21 AM by Aristile »

EighBeaux

• Novice
Re: Show Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »

Good start. Here is my personal opinion on what felt off (I am no expert):

-Dat squeaky chair.
-The character/pony/whatever voice clips are annoying and disruptive.
-Needs to flow better. Hearing "Now for the xxx segment" and "xxx minutes we are out of time!" crippled the groove. Let it flow rather than trying to split it cleanly.
-Maybe edit out some of the times when a host trips up.
-Not sure how feasible it is, but if you can record each host's voice separately and then edit out the time where they overlap that would be pro. Would take a lot more work though. I think it would definitely be worth it.
-Are music breaks necessary? Same for the BGM.

Sorry if it sounds like I am too picky; I was told to leave detailed, honest feedback.
That is all. Once again, good start.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

-Dat squeaky chair.
I was going to claim that the squeaky chair is a character, but I dunno what Ari is doing about it. I told him to buy some WD-40 or something but I guess he hasn't.

Popular demand wants them to stay.

-Needs to flow better. Hearing "Now for the xxx segment" and "xxx minutes we are out of time!" crippled the groove. Let it flow rather than trying to split it cleanly.
We do have target times that we are trying to hit, and if someone mentions the time, it's usually because we're hitting a drastic overrun which will result in an abnormally long show/edit time/upload time.

We already do. You are getting the cleaned up version. The number of slip ups will naturally decrease with practice.

-Not sure how feasible it is, but if you can record each host's voice separately and then edit out the time where they overlap that would be pro. Would take a lot more work though. I think it would definitely be worth it.
"A lot more work" would not even begin to cover it. It would be nice, but it would be a practical nightmare, both in editing and in recording because internet in my country would rebel violently if I attempted to upload a file of any significant size recorded on my end.

Music breaks are standard modus operandi for on-air podcast shows so that people can wander off and get a snack, take a bio etc. If they are simply irritating to someone, I suggest that they just listen to the archive and skip them manually.
Bed music is very much a necessity because it suppresses ambient noise and electrostatic hiss from recording equipment. Many people also like it to be there so that the show doesn't lapse into dead silence if no one is speaking.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »

- Low bit-rate stream makes the show sound like static and makes it really grainy. It's awful on the ears. This is not so in the regular podcast edition, however.

- You should really work on making the drop-ins flow better. They're amusing, but only when they're not coming in over the top of someone else or cutting people off. Also, moderation could be a good thing in future shows.

- Ihatehowthere'snospaceorbreakbetweenpeopletalking. causeholycrapwhoneedsbreaksbetweenspeaking? It'snotlikethat'showpeopleactuallyspeakinreallifeoranything! I.E- Leaving in a a second and a half between speakers is all-right, especially if you compensate it with BGM.

- Speaking of BGM, it seems to range from so quiet it doesn't exist to noticeable in the backround but not overpowering. It should always be somewhat noticeable, as it adds a buffer for dead air that otherwise wouldn't exist.

- As the show progresses, you'll have more and more content, so wrapping the show up on the scheduled 1 hour 30 minute mark should be easier, as should adding all of the show plugs at the appropriate times. I.E-Opening, Ending, ect. Also discuss maybe extending the show to 2 hours if you have an overabundance of content on a weekly basis, or dropping it to an hour during spouts of the gaming dead-zone that is April to June.

John

• That -1 Guy.
  • Baron
  • The -1
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

EighBeaux, Dropins are supposed to be disruptive.

BGM is important, without it there is only static or nothing, BGM gives the listeners something Other than static to listen to if the hosts have lapsed into silence.

I do agree with some points, Trying to cleanly divide the segments without a music break is kind of strange, it adds more time to the archive yes but if you spilt the segments with music it sounds cleaner and smoother sometimes, calsually segueing into a segment also works, it will give your show a more laid back calm feel.

Just my 2 cents

Dang it Vaul you answerd(sp?) all of the points I was :P

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »

-Dat squeaky chair.

Sorry if it sounds like I am too picky; I was told to leave detailed, honest feedback.
That is all. Once again, good start.

I'm aware of the chair it's getting better as time goes on

Luna (our drop in and music bot) has received extremely positive reception. She's here to stay, most shows use drop-in's to break serious discussion so it doesn't sound as dry

We're still working on trying to meet our time of 1 hour 30 minutes. Soon we won't need to say we're running out of time. Segment transitions actually have intros for themselves in the works.

Editing slip ups gives it to much of a prerecorded feel, and that's not what we want. We want her to feel like it's a live show as much as possible. We ( I ) already have to spend several hours in editing due to lag and applying noise filters (although those filters still don't seem to come through in the live stream and I'm working on a fix as I type this)

This would be optimal, but very impossible. Splicing more layers together into audacity would further lower the quality which is something I don't think is worth the sacrifice.

Music breaks are in place to transition better and give the show a more live show feel since we're unable to do it live due to lag. BGM serves 3 purposes. First it sets an atmosphere, second it helps reduce electrical buzz and noise (when the filters actually work), and finally it prevents completely dead air from happening.

Thanks for the feedback, we'd love to hear more. We follow the station standard with bgm and music breaks with drop ins to give us the feel of a VtW show. Most of your complaints are unfortunately aimed at station standards. That's okay though, we appreciate all feed back. We are working on the chair and calling how much time is left.

-Ari

edit: We are working on talking over each other and Luna playing out of place.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:30:44 PM by Aristile »

EighBeaux

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if my post sounded abrasive; this wasn't my intent. I was not aware that you guys were going for the 'live' feel (which explains the music, overlap, segment/time call-outs, etc.). Simply, I am used to listening to similar productions in a quiet environment while doing something else. Therefore, I usually go for ones where the hosts clearly discuss a topic without any music, slip-ups, or jarring voice clips. So, now that I understand the format it makes many of my opinions invalid. Keep up the good work!

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if my post sounded abrasive; this wasn't my intent. I was not aware that you guys were going for the 'live' feel (which explains the music, overlap, segment/time call-outs, etc.). Simply, I am used to listening to similar productions in a quiet environment while doing something else. Therefore, I usually go for ones where the hosts clearly discuss a topic without any music, slip-ups, or jarring voice clips. So, now that I understand the format it makes many of my opinions invalid. Keep up the good work!
It's alright, we just are really trying to hammer home the live show feel. Some of your feedback is still valid, I'm working on the chair issue and we're all trying to get better with overlapping voices as well as Luna acting funky like she has the past few weeks.

gnomi

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »

Just noticed this
http://media.vtwproductions.com/forum/index.php?action=calendar
No excuses needs to be added
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »

Hmm, that's odd. I'll ask fern to look into it when he gets on for the recording tonight.

Pages: [1] 2 3