VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 3090 times)

Aliandras

• Monk
  • The Battle Mistress
Twilight
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »

I was reading one of Barryva's threads and realized that people in this community have some very strong feelings about this series. I personally have no desire to watch or read it whatsoever. What do you guys think about this series? If you do like it, please tell me why you think I should watch or read it. If you can convince me to, I will. Ready, set, goooo......
"Rule #32: Enjoy the little things" ~ Zombieland

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
Re: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:43:50 AM »

This thread about the books probably holds true for the movie...

http://media.vtwproductions.com/forum/index.php?topic=574.0

NugeKildere

• Friar
  • Who wants waffles?
    • My youtube portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »

If you must watch it, watch it with the RiffTrax playing. :)
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/twilight

Or you could save some time and money and watch this instead ;D

[youtube]zOWudI75H20[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:07:36 AM by NugeKildere »
"And please bless Grandma and Grandpa... And please give me a million dollars, and a fridge with a padlock and, oh yeah, huge pectoral muscles." - Ren Höek

Aliandras

• Monk
  • The Battle Mistress
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »

Thank you Eid, I had not seen that thread yet.

NugeKildere....rofl that was great! If Twilight was really like that I would probably watch it for the laughs ;D
"Rule #32: Enjoy the little things" ~ Zombieland

Barryva

• The Baron VonAwesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Baron
  • Scourge of the 7 IRC's
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:50 AM »

okay so I will admit that I have never read the books or seen the movies, and I don't intend to. When the first movie was about to come out and the books were already a biig hit Stephen Kings wrote in entertainment that the lady who wrote them wasn't a very good author, and that the books were poorly written. And that was it that decided it for me. I took the word of the best selling American author of all time, and who's work i love to read, and i just agreed with it. Then when the movie was out, the only people that told me it was any good were people i already thought were Morons, so i assumed it was pretty terrible.

But you know what really pisses me off about twilight? it's that fact that they think they deserve some special release day for the DVD's. I worked at a Best Buy last year when the last one came out on DVD, and i had to drag the pallet Display of Twilight DVDs out to the floor just before the store opened, because the people that usually do that don't work on Saturday mornings they work Tuesday...WHEN DVD"S ARE SUPPOSED TO COME OUT. And do you know what happened when we opened? there were like 6 people waiting outside, and they went tearing into the store like we were going to sell out of the like hundred copies we had. but we didn't.

Its better used as a barometer. If you meet someone who claims to Like Twilight, and they aren't a teenage girl, just assume they have no taste and apply that to everything else they tell you.

Manly_Stuff

• Monk
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

I believe most people that post on these forums either don't want to watch or don't recomend the film, so asking for any opinions here is a bit of a "Preaching to the preacher/choir" situation. I didn't want to watch it but the power of the double X chromosome is undeniable, so if you want to solidify your desire not to see it, read on.

My random guy on the internet opinion in less then 200 words:

I felt the film itself, disregarding the "odd" (craptastic) vampire fiction, lacked a decent climax, focusing more on the "Forbidden Romance" (sexual tension) moments between the two main characters, the desperate for attention girl and too important for you bad boy.

Although they didn't strike me as bad actors, the main characters themselves seem not to react as they should to situations, Bella, the female protagonist, as this bored expression most of the time that seems out of place. Overall, they aren't nearly as interesting as some of the secondary characters like the other vampires that, with a more interesting vampire lore and focusing the story on the secondary plot of"Good Vampires vs. Evil Vampires" could really shine in a non twilight vampire way. Speaking of shiny vampires, the reveal scene, where he shows her he is a vampire, lost everything it had good when that happens.

Now, I wasn't expecting to like it but I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. Of course, then I get blamed for ruining the film for her because I didn't enjoy it.

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »

I've posted on the Twilight book thread and given that I think the book and movie should be treated seperately, I'll drop my opinion in for everyone to disagree with.  ;D

The first movie in the series I felt was pretty strong.

For the most part it moves along at a fairly slow pace, though this seems quite natural and I never once felt frustrated with it. It seems to me to suit the topic and though one could make a case for first-loves being a whirlwind of emotions more fitting to an upbeat tempo, 'Twilight' just doesn't fit this way for me. The hot/cold of Edward towards Bella, the longing glances, the lip biting - though overplayed throughout - all work well with the more casual narrative. The main issue with the pacing is the third act which has the feeling of being tact on. We move jarringly from a developing romance into a man-hunt brought forth by barely established characters. More could have been done to establish the villians before their big entrance and admittedly there is more than in the book, but the characters still seem wheeled in from the side to try to create an exciting climax.

The locations are truly stunning - cloud peaked mountains and lush green forests - and the mise-en-scene compliments this perfectly, pitching a dreary, mundane world with something fantastical at it's core. The lighting is for me a particularly strong aspect and in a world of over-saturated films (I'm looking at you Transformers) it's refreshing to see something more subtle. Wispy blues and greens throughout the film make the world cold and strangely unfamiliar, complimenting Bella's alienation from both her surroundings and her new love interest. The less said about the vampire make-up, the better.

The actors themselves are hit and miss. Kristen Stewart sits well in the role of the slightly peculiar teenager and has seemingly perfected it for 'Adventureland' and her return in 'New Moon'. Robert Pattinson is iffy at best, providing some truly laughable attempts at being a scary vampire. Both leads suffer badly from hammy lip-chewing and pouting giving some scenes more unintentional comedy. The strongest actor for me is Billy Burke in his role as Charlie, Bella's Dad. While he has very little screen time, his awkward (in a good way) performance shines over everyone else.

Ultimately the movie comes down to the fact it was made for the Twihard market. It's plays up Robert Pattinson as some kind of sex-god to the point of absurdity and makes Bella just too shy and clumsy to be believable. It has some very strong elements as I've mentioned - soundtrack being another - and is worth a watch, even just to see what all the fuss is about.

NugeKildere

• Friar
  • Who wants waffles?
    • My youtube portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

Okay, the wife and I watched New Moon sunday night (with the RiffTrax, of course).

I now understand the team-Jacob/team-Edward thing.  Mark me on the Jacob side, except I'm rooting more for his overall success in life, and not just in terms of winning Bella; Jake, you can do so so much better.  If I could, I'd remind him that girl he has idealized from his childhood is not the prize he imagines, there are many other girls out in the world, and this one spent 3 months moping when her boyfriend dumped her to run away to Europe.  I'd also remind him that being able to transform into a giant wolf at will is not something to be ashamed of, it is f$%*ing AWESOME and should be embraced, ala Teen Wolf :)

Finally, RE: that vamp chick running in the woods, who knew that Tori Amos was a vampire?
"And please bless Grandma and Grandpa... And please give me a million dollars, and a fridge with a padlock and, oh yeah, huge pectoral muscles." - Ren Höek

Porcelina

• Monk
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

Finally, RE: that vamp chick running in the woods, who knew that Tori Amos was a vampire?

Please, please do not say things like that. I had no intentions of ever, ever watching this movie. But Tori Amos being a vampire running in the woods? Hmmms. Must be worth it.

NugeKildere

• Friar
  • Who wants waffles?
    • My youtube portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »

Please, please do not say things like that. I had no intentions of ever, ever watching this movie. But Tori Amos being a vampire running in the woods? Hmmms. Must be worth it.

It's not.  The Tori Amos thing was a joke, and I'm sure most of the girls screaming in the theaters have never heard "Cornflake Girl" or "Caught a Lite Sneeze" (pity, since they might learn something about the dangers of codependency or the value of knowing one's self-worth from Tori's music; the girls I knew who were real Amos fans were NOT pushovers).  Have to admit there is a slight resemblance, though.

[youtube]AnHWaMMBCmM[/youtube]
Pages: [1] 2