VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Normal Draft  (Read 1320 times)

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
Normal Draft
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »

This is a direct response to Show X today, hence why it's in the Show X forum instead of video game discussion. These are my opinions as the level of player I am, so I can't speak for others, but Normal Draft mode really has fixed for me all the problems you brought up in the show. Since its implementation you are allowed to ban champions you don't want to play against in normal games of TT, Crystal Scar, and Summoners. This has been the way ranked has worked forever. You mentioned how a few champions may be overpowering you, and how dominion has a few champions that shine brighter than others. You're right. Absolute balance with 90ish champions is frankly ridiculous, if not impossible. Not to mention a moba like LoL with 3 different maps where different champions shine brighter on each.

Draft also allows you to see the enemy team as well, so it becomes a game of picking and counter picking. Don't want to deal with jungle GP this game? Ban him. Irelia going to get all the farm ever top? Counter pick yorick. Morgana picked on the other team? Don't pick Ashe or Anivia then.

Is it reasonable to say you're going to own every counter pick ever? No. But chances are someone will have AT LEAST ONE answer to the champ you're worried about. Are you going to be able to ban every annoying champion? No, but you can easily get the major ones out of the way.

You do need a reasonable understanding of LoL and a sizeable investment in it to fully utilize the potential of draft. But even at low levels draft can rid you of the annoyances that stomp you every game because you haven't worked out which of the champs you play is the best pick against the problem yet.

Perhaps the brightest beauty of draft is that it forces you to broaden your horizons. You cannot sit comfortably in your one champion box forever and expect to do well in draft. If you do not have at least threee or four champions to play, you're boned. I agree with you Octale on one point in particular. The people that sit comfortably in their one champion box are often horrible players. Those players are nowhere to be found in draft though.

One last note, and this is probably the reason it won't appeal to you Octale. Draft is NOT solo que friendly. If you get a stupid person in charge of bans or a troll it really hurts you more. I cannot emphasize how important it is to play with friends to get the most enjoyment from the game. Get a small group of 3 or 4 if you don't have 5 and give draft a try. After a bit of practice, as long as you're playing with friends, I think you'll find it solves a large chunk of the complaints you brought up today.

If you honestly are having trouble getting a group together Octale, all you have to do is ask me. I've spent the greater part of the past month trying to teach newer players like Pym and Zannah. They've really enjoyed learning and I've been patient with them and they've been showing great progress by approaching the game with friends and an open mind. Just ask GoheX (unelss i'm laning against him where I'm poking fun at him) even he's enjoyed playing with most of us and learning with us. Hell, I even learn a bit about map awareness and ganking by having to keep my eyes on all lanes more often than normal with you guys :P.

That's all from me today. I don't know why, but this time I felt a response was necessary.
-Aristile
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:40:33 AM by Aristile »

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: Normal Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »

Who's this GoheX guy?

And yes, I definitely have had alot of fun playing and learning LoL with the community. As for discussing the main topic of your post, I am a busy man, and will have to postpone that for later. Thanks for starting the discussion though! Hopefully I'll have time to play with you all again soon.

Pym

• Monk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Who's this Ken guy, I've never played with a Ken in LoL...

Anyway, on the draft topic, I've enjoyed it some for sure, it definitely makes setting teams up more interesting, and it doesn't really take much longer, maybe a minute or two longer, but for a forty minute game afterwards, that's nothing. And I like seeing what the other team has before the summoning screen, because then I can take more time counting who has more skins (obviously the most important part of LoL ;D).

When I solo or duo queue I still do blind pick however, it's a bit easier and faster, especially at my level.
My favourite heretic in Christian history is a man called Ebion. -Stephen Tomkins

Sleepbringer

• Monk
  • I'm sick of all this girly stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »

The largest problem I have with draft mode (this usually only happens in solo que) is the large amount of people that simply que dodge after not getting the bans they want or when the other team is better. It's extremely frustrating when I have to go through 3-4 drafts in order to get into a game.
w