VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum Suggestions  (Read 2382 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Forum Suggestions
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

I wanted to suggest a few things for the forums:

1) A rules / guidelines section for posting. Saying obvious things such as no racism, sexism etc, but also explaining how to give constructive comments and strong messages without resorting to swearing or shouting in caps etc =]

2) Tech Support forum. Where people who are more tech savvy could help out the people who aren't, to the best of their ability. Could include things like help with what graphics cards to buy for certain parameters, what requirements would we recommend for games, what type of RAM one should buy, etc. Also could include some links to some useful freeware such as AVG, spybot, Advanced Windows Care.

3) Preset avatars. As Docdead mentioned on another thread, I understand why letting people have their own avatars could allow malicious code to break the site, so perhaps we could have a choice of preset avatars already up here? Images that you have already chosen, and so would require no uploading as they would already be on the server. Bit like when you choose a gamer icon on Xbox live =]

Feel free to post below any other suggestions you can think of for the forums specifically. Might be able to make the forums even more [EPIC]. =]

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
Re: Forum Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »

1) A rules / guidelines section for posting. Saying obvious things such as no racism, sexism etc, but also explaining how to give constructive comments and strong messages without resorting to swearing or shouting in caps etc =]

2) Tech Support forum. Where people who are more tech savvy could help out the people who aren't, to the best of their ability. Could include things like help with what graphics cards to buy for certain parameters, what requirements would we recommend for games, what type of RAM one should buy, etc. Also could include some links to some useful freeware such as AVG, spybot, Advanced Windows Care.

3) Preset avatars. As Docdead mentioned on another thread, I understand why letting people have their own avatars could allow malicious code to break the site, so perhaps we could have a choice of preset avatars already up here? Images that you have already chosen, and so would require no uploading as they would already be on the server. Bit like when you choose a gamer icon on Xbox live =]

Feel free to post below any other suggestions you can think of for the forums specifically. Might be able to make the forums even more [EPIC]. =]

1) This is a good idea, but the hosts have been working like dogs to get everything together, and setting up forum rules are the least of their worries I bet. Especially since the vast majority of the community know the old WCRadio rules and can for the most part give rule breakers a nice push in the right direction.

2) I wholeheartedly agree with this one, a Tech Support forum would be nice for general PC support as well as forum and software support. Since I know more than just the hosts are technical savvy in this community and we all know they'd be willing to help a buddy out from time to time ;).

3) Preset avatars? Perhaps once the forums and site is 100% they could go digging for the League of Legends avatars and use those?

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »

1) Fair enough =] I'd write one out for the forums but I don't think it's fair for me to write out rules when it's not my forum =p

2) Yes, I'm doing a computing degree and this would let me stretch my diagnostic muscles a bit. Give me more to put under my belt with general knowledge too.

3) LoL ones sound good =] But yeah this is the least of admins' worries just now.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »

I approve of a tech support forum. I mean, I like to play PC games, and I build my own desktop rigs and such, but to be blunt I find most aspects of computers to be infuriating and/or impenetrable.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

Haha =D I'm great with general coding, very good at picking up new languages and such, and I'm also very quick with new GUIs. I suck so much with hardware though, so while I could explain a lot of theory to people I wouldn't have a clue on what motherboard goes with what graphics card =|

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »

Haha =D I'm great with general coding, very good at picking up new languages and such, and I'm also very quick with new GUIs. I suck so much with hardware though, so while I could explain a lot of theory to people I wouldn't have a clue on what motherboard goes with what graphics card =|
I did have to learn to code in MATLAB to some extent as part of my chemical engineering degree, but I can't exactly say I took to it like a duck to water. Mind you, I was one of the better coders in the class, which makes me worry a bit. :P

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »

Haha, Vaulisel. Nothing to worry about. You just have a logical mind, which often means you don't have much common sense =p

Hilarious when one of my computing lecturers couldn't find Internet Explorer. This person not only has an undergraduate degree, but also a PhD in computing, and they couldn't...find...internet...explorer. We were all shouting out "START MENU". The person claimed they're used to a Mac, but still. Come on.

Anyways I see the tech forums are up =D Thank you!

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

I just added number 1 to the To Do list.  We'll try and get those out pretty quickly so posters and mods are on the same page.  Speaking of mods, right now, the list of global moderators includes the hosts and IRC reps for the member shows of VTW Productions. 

I think we have number 2 covered under General Versus now, though if that forum is not in the flavor of what you were asking for GoheX, let me know, and we'll work to get it changed.

We can look into canned avatars.  No promises, of course, but if it can be done, I don't see a reason why we wouldn't do it.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »

Thanks very much, Octale. The tech support seems perfect to me =]

And I look forward to future improvements you implement.

By the way, very cool sig. ;)