VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bert & Ernie  (Read 2724 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Bert & Ernie
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

What are your opinions on this matter guys? In the latest episode we summed up that sexuality is irrelevant in a kids show, whether Bert and Ernie are bisexual, heterosexual or homosexual, none of these would fit in as sexuality shouldn't be a theme of a preschoolers TV show.

Do you agree, do you think that sexuality should be taught from a young age so kids grow up open to the idea, or something else? -What are your opinions?

Onin

• Vassal
Re: Bert & Ernie
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »

I've heard of people advocating teaching sexuality at a very young age (as young as 2 years old), and as silly as that sounds it has its upsides.

Sesame Street is not a place to do this, though. Bert and Ernie are your kid's friends, not the pro-gay mascots. And the complete lack of subtlety would also just lead to confusion.

Bert and Ernie already send the message of "Two guys living together is totally cool man!" Hell, they even sleep in the same bed in a number of episodes. That's enough. Don't give it a name, you only diminish the lesson that way.

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »

Not everything needs to be an educational platform. Bert and Ernie can just be friends. Teach sexuality issues somewhere else. Kids should also learn that a lot of the time people's orientation is irrelevant and not something that needs to be pinned down to interact with them.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Souleks

• Vassal
  • Where dem Lolis @?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »

I am sorry to break it to you GoheX but they aren't real people. They are puppets.

Xavierson

• Vassal
  • It is all about having fun!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »

I am sorry to break it to you GoheX but they aren't real people. They are puppets.

lol'd.

Scrubpuppy

• Vassal
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »

I think they should leave it the way it is. I also think they should stop implying that any guy that has a rommie living with him is gay.

Besides, the petition was only 900 people. About the average fan base of the Cinncinnati Reds.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »

Onin and Bard hit the nail on the head here. This is something that has it's place, but it's not Sesame Street.

Right now, the successor to Dawson's Creek is Degrassi, the good ol' "Afterschool Special Highschool Drama" show. Honestly, I think the teen years, when these questions start cropping up in a kids mind, is really when they can and should be answered. Desensitizing, in a way, kids of a younger age to be more open to these kinds of things wouldn't be necessary if they were raised by proper parents who didn't force there own agendas, beliefs, religion, ect. on to there kids. Obviously though, that'll never happen, so it's best to introduce this kind of stuff during the teen years anyway, when the kids are "rebellious" enough against there parents to open there mind to a second opinion/choice/whatever.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »

wouldn't be necessary if they were raised by proper parents who didn't force there own agendas, beliefs, religion, ect. on to there kids.

This, very much this. I've never understood why any human being would push their beliefs onto anyone, nevermind a child who doesn't know any different. They should be taught to teach themselves, taught to be open to their own opinions and not taught opinions. Follow fact, follow logic, follow science.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

I'll just leave this here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TViI6tCDhI[/youtube]

Grebog

• Baron
    • VTW MC
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »

As there are many good points here and most of it has been said. I will leave it at that, but as a kid when I say Bert and Ernie, I had always thought of them to be brothers. Sure they look different but I have seen in families where one sibling takes more after one parent than the other and then another takes more after the opposite parent. My little kid mind just went oh, brothers, and they definitely fought like siblings.
The VTW minecraft server has been closed for now. If people become interested in having a VTW minecraft server again, I will gladly help set one up.
Old Maps can be found here(still adding them all): http://vtwmc.com/Files.php
Pages: [1] 2