VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Buzz the Tower?  (Read 6384 times)

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
Re: Buzz the Tower?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »

Ok, so you've explained the "un-written rules rule" that we all know about, as pretty much anybody whose played or even watched a major sport for long enough knows exists and is regularly used. I still don't see any rules, unwritten or otherwise, this kid is breaking. Would you care to elaborate? Perhaps you'd do a better job at it than Erathor did. Until then though, the majority stands. This kid did nothing wrong.

Recta

• Friar
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »

Ok, so you've explained the "un-written rules rule" that we all know about, as pretty much anybody whose played or even watched a major sport for long enough knows exists and is regularly used. I still don't see any rules, unwritten or otherwise, this kid is breaking. Would you care to elaborate? Perhaps you'd do a better job at it than Erathor did. Until then though, the majority stands. This kid did nothing wrong.

Like I said in my first post.  He didn't start running.  He strutted/walked while watching the ball go over the fence.  I don't know how how else to explain it.  I'm not arguing the kid should be thrown at. I just can't look at something like this and while completely disregard what happened.  That exact kind of situation happened in a major league game recently.  Here is a quote of MLive.com

Magglio Ordonez hit a two-run home run in the third inning, he appeared to stand near home plate to see whether the ball was going to land fair or foul down the left-field line. The ball was fair, which gave the Tigers a 2-0 lead. Weaver didn't seem to take kindly to Ordonez standing and watching his home run. The Angels right-hander had words with Miguel Cabrera after Cabrera followed Ordonez's home run with a pop fly to first, then exchanged words with Ordonez later in the game as Ordonez made his way to the dugout after flying out.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, Carlos Guillen smashed a home run to right field. He certainly took his time getting out of the batter's box, flipped his bat in the air then hopped twice before starting a jog toward first, which clearly upset Weaver.

The youtube link has the Guillen/Weaver brushup but I couldn't find video of the Magglio Ordonez HR which disappoints me. 

From what I've read/heard it was very minor much like what we see in the little league world series clip.  Why is it Pan Patrick would even talk about this if there nothing there?  He also happen to be talking with the manager of Jered Weaver the subject of the quotes and youtube clip.

Baronofbeefdip

• Vassal
  • WONK
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 01:17:25 PM »

The kid in little league just looked at the ball for a few seconds before running the bases.

Looking at this new video, Guillen was certainly much more of a dick about the home run. After watching the ball, Guillen FACES Weaver, holds his arm out, pulls a hop skip and a jump, all while facing Weaver.

As far as I can tell, the kid was just admiring the ball, while Guillen was deliberately taunting and showboating to Weaver's face. What the kid did was extremely mild by this comparison.

Recta

• Friar
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

The kid in little league just looked at the ball for a few seconds before running the bases.
People are arguing that nothing happened.  Now your saying it did, but it's not a big deal.  I AGREE it wasn't a big deal, but something did happen.    

Looking at this new video, Guillen was certainly much more of a dick about the home run. After watching the ball, Guillen FACES Weaver, holds his arm out, pulls a hop skip and a jump, all while facing Weaver.
This was the result of the earlier brush up.  One of those not a big deal things.  I couldn't find the video of the first HR.  

As far as I can tell, the kid was just admiring the ball, while Guillen was deliberately taunting and showboating to Weaver's face. What the kid did was extremely mild by this comparison.

Guillen's reaction was a reaction to the issue earlier in the game.  If anyone has a video of the Magglio Ordonez HR would you be kind enough to post it.  I remember seeing it on sportscenter but couldn't find it online.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »

Why is it Pan Patrick would even talk about this if there nothing there?
Because Dan Patrick needs to distinguish his show from 87,000 other sports talk shows that are spending the overwhelming amount of time analyzing NFL preseason to nausiating degrees.  It has sparked debate in this community, and I'm sure it did amongst his listenership as well, which makes it a good topic as well as keeping ratings high.

I also don't want the context of the hit to be lost in this conversation, either.  In April or May, I'd probably use the moment to teach as well.  That said, in the LLWS, after hitting the go-ahead home run in the mid-to-late innings, I'd let the 2 second delay in taking the trip around the bases slide.

Oh, and why is no one talking about the other team doing what they should have done, if the "showboating" was such a massive act of bad sportsmanship?  The other team scored the next 10 runs to win by 8.  Isn't that enough Karma balance, instead of peeing in someone's cheerios about how they reacted to the go ahead home run.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

Oh, and why is no one talking about the other team doing what they should have done, if the "showboating" was such a massive act of bad sportsmanship?  The other team scored the next 10 runs to win by 8.  Isn't that enough Karma balance, instead of peeing in someone's cheerios about how they reacted to the go ahead home run.

Because it's not really a part of the conversation to be honest. Erathor and Rakta are trying to make this kid out to be a cocky, arrogant little prick, when all the poor kid did was admire his home-run ball before running the bases. He didn't slow down the game, he didn't taunt the other team in ANY way, all the kid did was watch the ball fly out of the park.

To Erathor+Recta -

Sorry, the whole "You have to play" argument doesn't hold up either. I HAVE played in little league, so have others in the community I'm sure and there is no such thing as a written or un-written rule about watching your homerun ball fly out. You know who pretends there is such a rule? Sore losers.

I've assume, rightfully so, that the kids on the opposite end of that 3-run homer couldn't give a single fuck at the end of the day when they left the park with a win, let alone 15 minutes after the event even happened that the kid took a few moments to admire his home-run ball. You know why? Because they were busy playing the game, trying to come back from the deficit, not worrying about the few insignificant moments a kid took admiring his home run ball!

The problem I have here is anyone whose making mountains out of this unbelievably small molehills. If you really can't suck it up when your opponent hits a home-run, maybe you should pitch better, or better yet, get over yourself. If any of the kids really had a problem with that and got themselves worked up over it, it's entirely there own fault, because no wrongdoing has actually been done here. It's an open and shut case, the kid clearly did nothing inappropriate, even by your own definition. So what's the bloody problem here? Is it personal experience or professional baseball? Either way, it doesn't involve these Little League kids.

Recta

• Friar
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:06 PM »

Because it's not really a part of the conversation to be honest. Erathor and Rakta are trying to make this kid out to be a cocky, arrogant little prick, when all the poor kid did was admire his home-run ball before running the bases.

Never said any such thing.  He made a mistake which was very minor.   

To Erathor+Recta -

Sorry, the whole "You have to play" argument doesn't hold up either. I HAVE played in little league, so have others in the community I'm sure and there is no such thing as a written or un-written rule about watching your homerun ball fly out. You know who pretends there is such a rule? Sore losers.

Didn't say you have to play.  It does appear to be some people didn't understand unwritten rules of baseball which I tried to explain.  Baseball has a 100+ year history with unwritten rules being part of most that history.  These aren't mine.  You can pretend they don't exist or call people names but it doesn't change the fact they are talked about almost weekly on sports talk radio/tv shows and player use/enforce them.  Obviously these are more for high level/competitive thing and you won't see them in youth t-ball.   

The problem I have here is anyone whose making mountains out of this unbelievably small molehills.

How am I making mountains out of molehills?  I said he made a minor mistake but there should be no real repercussions.  I'm not saying forfeit the game.  I'm not saying throw at the next batter.  The harshest thing I'm saying is remind the kid he needs to take off after he hits the ball.  My argument is the exact same action in another situation would be an issue.  I'm reading from others the exact same action would never be an issue in a different situation.  What if the previous 3 batters had done the exact same thing and the 4th batter hits a HR which put the team up by when 15 did it also? What if it happened after an incident like the Jered Weaver/Guillen?   

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

Obviously it is laughable to throw at someone's head just like you wouldn't launch a DoS attack on someone who /spit on you in a video game. Do you not say anything at all? The point of the OP was about the incident being so minor, so historical and whether that even matters anymore?

I'm not sure how a shot about being sour at winners got in there, but okay. BTW I do believe in karma balance and that is enough to be sure. I do hear you when you say there was nothing wrong with it in any way. There is that grey area though, if you believe it was taunting, but you just don't care because of how minor it was so let it go? I hope it doesn't go there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:12:51 PM by Erathor »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]