VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Buzz the Tower?  (Read 6408 times)

Souleks

• Vassal
  • Where dem Lolis @?
Re: Buzz the Tower?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:54 AM »

I will rub this all over my face.
but seriously its a little league game, It doesn't look like this kid is taunting It looks like he is looking at the ball.
When I used to play baseball in highschool gym class if I hit a really good one I would watch it.

Baronofbeefdip

• Vassal
  • WONK
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »

Alright, so a little kid, hitting a rather good shot, does WRONG by looking at said shot for a few seconds?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:07:56 AM by Baronofbeefdip »

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 02:46:48 AM »

I posted this in the community to serve a purpose (not to troll). Your responses show me the need to keep posting these kinds of posts.

So, we don't feel the way you do about the topic. In fact, the super majority of posters, here being 99% of all posters in this thread, disagree with your opinion. Your response to this is to continue to make these kind of posts and comments and yet you expect to be taken seriously and not be called a troll? You're going to need to at the very least try harder when you're making your points if you want that.

Isn't winning and celebrating enough? How many feel it necessary to allow taunting as well? Sure it is silly to suggest that a little league pitcher "buzz the tower", but surely the discussion is not. In fact gauging this forum conversation I'd say most of this community not only sees nothing wrong with it, but would revel in it, plan it and even find it enjoyable. Is this not interesting?

Emotion? Heat of the moment? A form of celebration? I don't buy it, but it doesn't mean I didn't read the replies to my OP.

Yes, it is enough. The fact of the matter is, there is no taunting going on here. A kid hit a homerun on a poorly thrown pitch. He whispered something to himself, probably willing the ball out of the park, trotted along the bases doing a victory lap, celebrated with his team and sat down. Where in any of that was a taunt? Are you suggesting that any single little bit of "cocky" or "miscreant" body language is a taunt? I don't buy it. In fact, that argument is so farfetched that I'm gonna have to post a farfetch'd!

You see what you make me do?

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:45 AM »

I posted this in the community to serve a purpose (not to troll). Your responses show me the need to keep posting these kinds of posts.

So, we don't feel the way you do about the topic. In fact, the super majority of posters, here being 99% of all posters in this thread, disagree with your opinion. Your response to this is to continue to make these kind of posts and comments and yet you expect to be taken seriously and not be called a troll? You're going to need to at the very least try harder when you're making your points if you want that.

Isn't winning and celebrating enough? How many feel it necessary to allow taunting as well? Sure it is silly to suggest that a little league pitcher "buzz the tower", but surely the discussion is not. In fact gauging this forum conversation I'd say most of this community not only sees nothing wrong with it, but would revel in it, plan it and even find it enjoyable. Is this not interesting?

Emotion? Heat of the moment? A form of celebration? I don't buy it, but it doesn't mean I didn't read the replies to my OP.

Yes, it is enough. The fact of the matter is, there is no taunting going on here. A kid hit a homerun on a poorly thrown pitch. He whispered something to himself, probably willing the ball out of the park, trotted along the bases doing a victory lap, celebrated with his team and sat down. Where in any of that was a taunt? Are you suggesting that any single little bit of "cocky" or "miscreant" body language is a taunt? I don't buy it. In fact, that argument is so farfetched that I'm gonna have to post a farfetch'd!

You see what you make me do?

This, this, and more of this.
Took the words, straight from my mouth.

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 03:50:22 AM »

Sorry this the best I could find of the inspiration video for this post (there was much more pre-interview):

http://www.danpatrick.com/dan-patrick-video/

The fact that is such a grey area makes the conversation that much sweeter to me. I tend to side with DP and Scioscia on this one, not a great part of the game right now. Too bad I'm in the 1% here?

Xavierson

• Vassal
  • It is all about having fun!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »

You're participating a different argument to everyone else here now I think.

We are claiming that nothing that constitutes actual, legitimate taunting is really taking place, and that it's silly and anal to assume that a kid watching his best swing of the season fly out of the park is somehow malicious.

You are attacking us claiming that we are proposing that taunting the opposition is acceptable.

This. Sums up my current view of the discussion.

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »

You're participating a different argument to everyone else here now I think.

We are claiming that nothing that constitutes actual, legitimate taunting is really taking place, and that it's silly and anal to assume that a kid watching his best swing of the season fly out of the park is somehow malicious.

You are attacking us claiming that we are proposing that taunting the opposition is acceptable.

Vaulisel continues to post the most plain sense ever. AND not be offensive. Give that man a medal.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Tak

• Friar
  • Now with 50% more Tik
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »

I have to agree with the masses here. There's no taunting going on, and the amount of celebration was certainly not excessive. Kids play sports to build confidence, teamwork, and friendship. Watching his awesome shot fly over the fence had to have been a big confidence boost. And having his entire team waiting for him at the plate to congratulate him did all three. I say "Keep it up!"

Sorry this the best I could find of the inspiration video for this post (there was much more pre-interview):

http://www.danpatrick.com/dan-patrick-video/

The fact that is such a grey area makes the conversation that much sweeter to me. I tend to side with DP and Scioscia on this one, not a great part of the game right now. Too bad I'm in the 1% here?

This link just goes to a collection of other videos for me. Is there a video in particular we should be watching?

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »

Yea the link doesn't take you directly there:

http://multimedia.foxsports.com/m/video/43730164/the-dan-patrick-show-mike-scioscia.htm

This one should work.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:26:52 PM by Erathor »

Recta

• Friar
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

A lot of people here argue there was nothing wrong with what the kid did.  I'm guessing that most of those arguing that point are not baseball fans.  Baseball has it's own set of unique unwritten rules that most non-baseball fans don't know or understand.  On a foul ball how many of you would see no issue running directly from 3rd base back to first and crossing the pitcher's mound?  This is another of those unwritten no-no's.  Or how many of you wouldn't see an issue bunting for a base hit in the top of the 9th down by 8 runs when the opposing team's pitcher has a no hitter going?  Again another no-no.  (if it was a close game this doesn't apply).  Flipping the bat after a home run much the same way.   You might not like it but that's just the way it is in baseball.  Things relaxed a lot over the years and maybe this habit of watching home runs won't be an issue at all in 5-10 years.  I've seen major leaguers get thrown at this season for the exact same thing.  It use to be if the previous batter hit a home run the next batter wouldn't dig in.  They knew the next pitch was coming at them.  Funny enough celebrating at home plate or hoping/jumping/pumping the fist while running around the bases is acceptable and not considered showing up the pitcher (assuming they aren't dogging it while going around the bases). 

For those who don't know I officiate high school sports (football and basketball) and am starting to transition into officiating college (basketball).  Officials talk all the time about knowing the situation.  Team is down 20 with 10 seconds left.  Let the travel go and keep the clock running.  Don't call a minor contact foul on the team which is losing in the last few seconds of a ball game.  If one of the best players on a team gets in early foul trouble take some extra time getting the ball into play so a coach can get a substitute in the game.  I feel this was on of those special situations people need to understand the situation and apply some leniency.  Nothing wrong with a coach yelling to start running or the catcher saying get your butt moving, but throwing at a player seems extreme given the situation.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4