VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Buzz the Tower?  (Read 6407 times)

Recta

• Friar
Re: Buzz the Tower?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »

This is a baseball thing.  He didn't just run to first base, he hit the ball then strutted/walked for 4 steps while watching the ball go over the fence.  Not taking off in a run in the first couple steps after hitting a homerun is considered showing up a pitcher.  While I agree this wasn't bad in comparison to other sports, and this was not extreme for baseball, it is considered poor sportsmanship.  I don't think it was quite bad enough to be thrown at but a comment made by players/coaches would be acceptable.  I also don't feel throwing at someones head is ever acceptable in baseball.  Hit them in the leg/butt area where there is meat which can bruise is one thing.  Throwing at someones head is very dangerous. 

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »

Obviously throwing at the head is dangerous and taking to that level is obviously over the top. There is something to be said for throwing inside though. Sure I'm posing something that is seemingly insignificant. Mutual respect for opponents especially at a championship level is very important.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:36 AM »

So let me get this straight:

In the Little League post season tournament that's televised nationally.

A child hit a ball that everyone in the stadium, including the announce team, knew was a not only a home run, but THE GO-AHEAD home run, and you're complaining about that child spending not more than 3-ish seconds admiring what very well might be the hardest ball he's ever hit on the biggest stage he's ever played on?

I take it you've never been caught up in the moment before, which might be true if you've never won anything of consequence before.

Further, I reject your notion that at the Little League World Series anything is being taught.  Those people are trying to win; careers in baseball are being jump-started.  If this were March or April in a local Little League game, perhaps you'd have a point, in August in a competitive tournament, it's a-okay to take a couple of seconds to admire your work on the go-ahead home run.

Finally, according to the color guy (kinda sounded like Orel Hershiser) said the following [:17 - :23] "Cesar not having a great tournament..." As a former athlete, it is completely natural to take a moment after struggling to appreciate something positive you've done to a) put your team in the lead b) potentially get yourself on track again.

So, let's add up: competitive tournament, go-ahead home run, struggling player, 3-second walk out before trotting around the bases for a hit everyone in the stadium knew was a home run, and the other team scored the next 10 runs to win by 8.  Sounds like everything happened the way it was supposed to.  I suppose Erathor, you could petition Little League Baseball to take the participation trophies away from the team that lost, but that would send the "wrong" message that losing is bad, doesn't it?
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »

This is a baseball thing.  He didn't just run to first base, he hit the ball then strutted/walked for 4 steps while watching the ball go over the fence.  Not taking off in a run in the first couple steps after hitting a homerun is considered showing up a pitcher.  While I agree this wasn't bad in comparison to other sports, and this was not extreme for baseball, it is considered poor sportsmanship.  I don't think it was quite bad enough to be thrown at but a comment made by players/coaches would be acceptable.  I also don't feel throwing at someones head is ever acceptable in baseball.  Hit them in the leg/butt area where there is meat which can bruise is one thing.  Throwing at someones head is very dangerous. 

Thanks for this explanation, I watched the video twice and even read through the comments and still couldn't figure out what the issue was.

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »

I reject your notion that at the Little League World Series anything is being taught.
Every moment at that age is a teachable moment.

I take it you've never been caught up in the moment before, which might be true if you've never won anything of consequence before.
I think you'd be surprised, but I think that is not the point.

Finally, according to the color guy (kinda sounded like Orel Hershiser) said the following [:17 - :23] "Cesar not having a great tournament..." As a former athlete, it is completely natural to take a moment after struggling to appreciate something positive you've done to a) put your team in the lead b) potentially get yourself on track again.
Excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one...

Xavierson

• Vassal
  • It is all about having fun!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »

Erathor, I learnt something about you recently, I thought you might want to hear this. You seem to not live in reality. You seem to live in this made up perfect reality where everybody loves each other and every child and adult get on and don't have their own personal and unified goals and objectives. You seem to live in a reality where we don't have any emotions because that only hinders the welfare of the collective and that meanness and wrongdoing never happens.

Reality check.

The question isn't why did he act cocky? The question is why did the pitcher throw such a hittable pitch? The pitcher deserves to feel like crap. He made a horrific mistake and his team paid for it. I praise the hitter for lauding it over the pitcher. Too fucking right that somebody make the pitcher understand he just cocked up and caused the turn around of the game. Let that pitcher suffer for all eternity knowing that his very life was altered forever because of that single pitch. May his children listen to tales of this terrible terrible failure that this pitcher has brought because he did something wrong and has to pay for it. I will write epic sagas depicting the atrocious way he threw that pitch and how he was hated forever more, growing an ulser from stress because of it. I will sing songs about that day and I will send all of them to that pitcher's house just so he understands he made a mistake. I will emblazon upon the pitcher's forehead the word "FAILURE" for all to see. I will sabotage every single thing he does for the rest of his life from this point on.

Does this seem like an overreaction? Does it seem like I am being harsh on the pitcher?

Good. You are being overly critical on the batter. You are acting like he murdered somebody. It was a sport event and people get excited. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill especially WHEN THE PERSON IN QUESTION IS A BLOODY CHILD!  ::)

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »

I absolutely abhor the "reality" argument. The reality is..." Just end it there because I tuned you out.

Win with dignity, succeed with class and play hard. TEACH THE CHILD!

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

Erathor, I learnt something about you recently, I thought you might want to hear this. You seem to not live in reality. You seem to live in this made up perfect reality where everybody loves each other and every child and adult get on and don't have their own personal and unified goals and objectives. You seem to live in a reality where we don't have any emotions because that only hinders the welfare of the collective and that meanness and wrongdoing never happens.

Reality check.

The question isn't why did he act cocky? The question is why did the pitcher throw such a hittable pitch? The pitcher deserves to feel like crap. He made a horrific mistake and his team paid for it. I praise the hitter for lauding it over the pitcher. Too fucking right that somebody make the pitcher understand he just cocked up and caused the turn around of the game. Let that pitcher suffer for all eternity knowing that his very life was altered forever because of that single pitch. May his children listen to tales of this terrible terrible failure that this pitcher has brought because he did something wrong and has to pay for it. I will write epic sagas depicting the atrocious way he threw that pitch and how he was hated forever more, growing an ulser from stress because of it. I will sing songs about that day and I will send all of them to that pitcher's house just so he understands he made a mistake. I will emblazon upon the pitcher's forehead the word "FAILURE" for all to see. I will sabotage every single thing he does for the rest of his life from this point on.

Does this seem like an overreaction? Does it seem like I am being harsh on the pitcher?

Good. You are being overly critical on the batter. You are acting like he murdered somebody. It was a sport event and people get excited. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill especially WHEN THE PERSON IN QUESTION IS A BLOODY CHILD!  ::)

I've come to a much simpler conclusion. He's just trolling.

I absolutely abhor the "reality" argument. The reality is..." Just end it there because I tuned you out.

Win with dignity, succeed with class and play hard. TEACH THE CHILD!

It's clear he has no interest in the opinions of anyone other than his own.
Nothing about this video has anything wrong with it. When I played baseball as a kid, if I knew it was a homerun I wouldn't go sprinting right away, and when I got back to home plate I'd celebrate with my friends and teammates as well. Hell, I'd do that now if I was in his shoes.

FFS dude, do you get mad when people type /taunt at the end of an arena match in WoW or MOBA? Knowing the other team is celebrating because you lost is part of losing, it always has been.

Also, Xavierson and Octale are 100% correct. In a little league game, when you're a child, you WILL get caught up in the moment. If you do something amazing in front of your friends and family and you aren't at least a little in awe of your own accomplishment, then you might want to try to enjoy life a little more. More importantly, that child SHOULD feel proud of his accomplishment. He's a kid on televised baseball, this must have meant so much to him!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:23:23 AM by Aristile »

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

I posted this in the community to serve a purpose (not to troll). Your responses show me the need to keep posting these kinds of posts.

Isn't winning and celebrating enough? How many feel it necessary to allow taunting as well? Sure it is silly to suggest that a little league pitcher "buzz the tower", but surely the discussion is not. In fact gauging this forum conversation I'd say most of this community not only sees nothing wrong with it, but would revel in it, plan it and even find it enjoyable. Is this not interesting?

Emotion? Heat of the moment? A form of celebration? I don't buy it, but it doesn't mean I didn't read the replies to my OP.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:52 AM »

You're participating a different argument to everyone else here now I think.

We are claiming that nothing that constitutes actual, legitimate taunting is really taking place, and that it's silly and anal to assume that a kid watching his best swing of the season fly out of the park is somehow malicious.

You are attacking us claiming that we are proposing that taunting the opposition is acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:29:07 AM by Vaulisel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4