VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Octale's Blog: The MOBA Pepsi Challenge  (Read 5085 times)

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
Re: Octale's Blog: The MOBA Pepsi Challenge
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »

I got a ton of assists again (16 I think), but very few kills again.  So, it seems I suck, but I don't suck enough to be the albatross that sinks my team.  Worst place to be in a game, imo.

I gotta ask, what's with this philosophy? Since when did doing damage to a target leading to its death become a "useless" endeavor if you don't get the "killstat"? I've never understood when anyone, in both HoN or LoL, look at Kill/Death as a more viable suck bar than Assists. It seemed to be that if you're doing work and showing up to teamfights but not getting any kills as a carry or burst, some other carry or burst is intentionally holding back there damage to insure they pad there K/D.

I've had plenty of games with say, Gangplank, or Ashe, where I've went 3-4 kills/2-4 deaths/10+ assists just because someone held back some sort of burst until the enemies were on about 15-20% HP.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:35:22 PM by Ebion »

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »

I got a ton of assists again (16 I think), but very few kills again.  So, it seems I suck, but I don't suck enough to be the albatross that sinks my team.  Worst place to be in a game, imo.

I gotta ask, what's with this philosophy? Since when did doing damage to a target leading to its death become a "useless" endeavor if you don't get the "killstat"? I've never understood when anyone, in both HoN or LoL, look at Kill/Death as a more viable suck bar than Assists. It seemed to be that if you're doing work and showing up to teamfights but not getting any kills as a carry or burst, some other carry or burst is intentionally holding back there damage to insure they pad there K/D.

I've had plenty of games with say, Gangplank, or Ashe, where I've went 3-4 kills/2-4 deaths/10+ assists just because someone held back some sort of burst until the enemies were on about 15-20% HP.

Please don't misunderstand.  I am operating under the assumption that the reason I'm not a fan of LoL design is because I'm no good at it.  Which seems wrong to me, but popular support for that theory has me thinking twice.  Anyway, I'm pleased at my K+A/D ratio, but it seems like I should be getting more kills, and I am not. 
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »

I think you misinterpreted, let me reiterate. I never meant for you to take it as "You're bad, so you dislike the game." But rather, "I didn't do well, but I think masteries/runes are to blame instead of my lack of knowledge of the game."

But yea, I can understand you not getting a ton of kills, sometimes it just happens. So long as you have a Decent K+A score, I think it's all that really matters when it comes to looking at numbers to tell if you did good or bad. Some might even say it's something like K+an arbitrary fraction of assists, but I don't really buy into that because if you got an assist it means you were *present* at the fight supporting your team.

*Present might also be arbutrary, as heroes like Soraka, Ashe, Gangplank, and others can support a teamfight from across the map.*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:33:59 AM by Ebion »

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »

As to whether new ground would be covered in a debate, I personally think that there has been enough depth in the discussion so far to support such a show, although others may think differently. As regards the etiquette, I would like to believe that people would be able to control themselves and focus while on the air, but if not, insulting the other side can only make clear the weakness of their argument. This is also why I would call for an impartial moderator to such a debate.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »

I didn't do well, but I think masteries/runes are to blame instead of my lack of knowledge of the game
Runes/Masteries are probably third from the bottom of the list of design things I don't care for, and certainly not something I'd ever blame my lack of ability on.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »

As to whether new ground would be covered in a debate, I personally think that there has been enough depth in the discussion so far to support such a show, although others may think differently. As regards the etiquette, I would like to believe that people would be able to control themselves and focus while on the air, but if not, insulting the other side can only make clear the weakness of their argument. This is also why I would call for an impartial moderator to such a debate.
Even if there is no shortage of enthusiasm for the debate in the community, I'd guess that there's a fairly critical lack of familiarity with formal debating etiquette. Some of the arguments I've heard on the topic lead me to believe that there are many elements in the community that aren't able to make any distinction between an ad hominem fallacy and a logical argument, let alone do something like wait their turn to submit their rebuttal rather than interject wildly the whole time. The adjudicator is likely to be banging his head against the desk by the time the first speaker is done.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:48:19 AM by Vaulisel »

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »

I was thinking I'd adjudicate, unless your head feels particularly stout today?

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3]