VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Hoyle Challenge  (Read 4141 times)

Erathor

• Monk
Re: The Hoyle Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »

I guess you could accuse someone of king making at a poker table by playing poorly. I know pro players don't like to play "no limit" with amateurs because of a few reasons, one because of conduct and two they are more likely to king make/use risky behavior.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »

I don't see how poker and dungeons are in any way comparable, seeing as one is a free-for-all environment whereas the other is a collaborative effort.
That's not quite the right comparison.

If WoW were more like a poker game, for example, some people would be "broke" and never get groups for group content.  Either they'd never make the minimum item level for heroics, or the vote to kick system would be implemented properly, and they would always be removed from dungeon groups.  Either way, the easiest way to not be "broke" anymore is to stop sucking, and all it takes to stop sucking is a little bit of "give a damn".

What we have in WoW today would be akin to being able to "All-in" every hand, and be able to reload infinitely after losing.  The consequences for being a bad player are nonexistent, and really, bad players are rewarded for being bad thanks to many raiders being forced to VP cap every week to stay competitive, and being turned into scrub boosting perpetual motion machines in the process.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »

I'm curious what the buy in should be for a random LFD at this point?

The consequences for being a bad player are nonexistent, and really, bad players are rewarded for being bad thanks to many raiders being forced to VP cap every week to stay competitive, and being turned into scrub boosting perpetual motion machines in the process.

You know I love this on so many levels. The idea that you don't believe bad players suffer any consequences, that "competitive raiders" are forced to do random LFDs to hit the weekly VP cap, or that there is no choice but to become a SBPMM (I know you love your acronyms and I'm giving this one, nice job!). It is fantastic, I must admit. I'll run with you if you need VPs...

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »

I'm curious what the buy in should be for a random LFD at this point?
Holy crap...I think you might have stumbled onto something.

Blizz will do anything for money, so why not add a $.99 "buy in" for full random LFD?
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »

Hell you should be able to sell your runs right because you are so "pro"? Oh wait that happens now and might eventually officially happen soon with all the D3 news.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:32 AM »

Hell you should be able to sell your runs right because you are so "pro"? Oh wait that happens now and might eventually officially happen soon with all the D3 news.

Small price to pay if the consequence is players choosing to not fail for a change.

Oh, and since you haven't seen this yet, you couldn't afford me anyway. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:35:55 AM by Octale »
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Edge Damodred

• Monk
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »

Actually we're probably not too far off from that happening. We're getting to the point of legitimately selling virtual items being commonplace, that will lead to an eventual legitimate service industry within games being commonplace. Once you reach there, we of course head to legitimate elected officials in games.

Darth Xanith

• Baron
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 08:09:43 AM »

Once you reach there, we of course head to legitimate elected officials in games.

You mean like what Eve Online already has with that council which meets in Iceland...?

Erathor

• Monk
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:29:16 AM »

All interesting steps in the evolution of virtual worlds...

Hell I know many many people who have had or still have their accounts paid for in full because they were good reliable raiders and a more casual person with a tough job and not a lot of time paid for (and yes for the bonus XP/mount deal). That is why I put in the "official" wording.

Why, how much do you charge Octale?
Pages: 1 [2]