VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC: New F1 deal  (Read 1477 times)

Majeef

• Vassal
  • Hang 'em first, try 'em later.
BBC: New F1 deal
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

I know it probably doesn't mean much to the people here from the US, but in the UK F1 is major sport. The BBC is broadcast freely (though funded by a licence fee), and Sky Sports is a satellite channel (package of channels) requiring the purchase and instalation of a dish, set top box and monthly subscription.

The BBC have made a deal with Sky in which they will broadcast half the races live (inc. quali and free practices) and for the other races they will show highlights a few hours after the races finish. Sky will broadcast full coverage of every race, qualifying and practice session. Whats the point in showing half a season. It's sport, the results matter, I want to see it live and unedited, not a condensed highlights show. Any time I haven't been able to watch a race live I have avoided TV, avoided radio, avoided twitter and news sites until I've got the opportunity to sit down and watch the entire thing from start to finish unspoiled.

Although the news that F1 is moving to pay-to-view TV is disappointing the salt in the wound comes from the BBC. They say the new deal is due to cost saving measures, to help maintain digital channels like BBC3 and BBC4 (which mainly show repeats, programmes not good enough or too niche for the primary 2 channels or coverage of music festivals). This is the BBC whos decentralizing of 5 programming departments to Salford could cost 900 million.

There is a Concorde Agreement between the governing bodies of the sport FOM (formula one management - responsible for the commercial explotation of the sport) and FOTA (formula one teams assosiation), part of which says that the sport should be available on free to view broadcast in key regions where ever possible (inc the UK). If the BBC hadn't made this half-the-races deal with Sky then FOM may have been forced into talks with other free broadcasters in the UK.

Ben Gallop (BBC's Head of F1) tells us "this new deal offers the best outcome for licence-fee payers.". That remains to be seen, but it's the worst deal for UK F1 fans. We'll have to subscribe to Sky or settle for half.

Xavierson

• Vassal
  • It is all about having fun!
Re: BBC: New F1 deal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »

As a four going on five year Sky subscription holder, I have no sympathy for you Majeef. Sorry.

Majeef

• Vassal
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

As a four going on five year Sky subscription holder, I have no sympathy for you Majeef. Sorry.

Fair enough brother, but the current award winning F1 coverage team on the BBC will likely get broken up as some of them get tempted over to Sky and the races will be broken up with ad breaks, which was always a pain on ITV.

It's just a crying shame really.

Xavierson

• Vassal
  • It is all about having fun!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:10 AM »

Fair enough brother, but the current award winning F1 coverage team on the BBC will likely get broken up as some of them get tempted over to Sky and the races will be broken up with ad breaks, which was always a pain on ITV.

It's just a crying shame really.

I will agree, adverts are a buggar, but Adverts make the money.  :-\

Majeef

• Vassal
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »

Yeah, though F1 always had the philosophy of the sponsors bringing the cash, hense show the sport to the largest audience possible with the free to view where possible agreement.

Just a shame this is happening one season before they start using the new turbo engines, hopefully I'll still have a high interest in F1 at that point.