VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Octale's Blog: A Long, Long Way to Go  (Read 4566 times)

LXj

• Novice
Re: Octale's Blog: A Long, Long Way to Go
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »

So, MLG Anaheim is starting about... now. If you still want to look into world of progaming, that might be the best time. Idra vs Boxer is coming up on red stream (see mlgpro.com) in about a hour, and that match has a hell of a backstory

(And yeah, I don't consider Halo and CoD to be any representaion of what I think progaming is. The thing is, the real progaming wasn't really popular in USA before. Hell, it wasn't really big in any country but SK (SC1) and China (War3) before SC2)

Edit: and BTW they are introducing all the pool players right now

Edit2: interestingly enough, one of NA best Protosses, Kiwikaki, recently played in World Series of Poker, and won $60k. And he will be playing in MLG Anaheim as well, of course
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:40:24 PM by LXj »

Porcelina

• Monk
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »

I just do not think MLG is anywhere close to being on TV. In fact, judging by what MLG representatives have said themselves, they are not really exploring any avenues into mainstream media.

The production quality for MLG is still not that great. It is staying very niche, in the sense that it pulls on fan favourites from the internet for casting; you have Day9 who is pretty much a SC legend whereas the other stream features Husky who is pretty much a YouTube phenomenon. And the casting is in a bit of a weird state where MLG are clearly trying to bring in a wider audience but at the same time want to bring in the people they know actual SC2 fans have enjoyed and have come to expect as commentators.

I guess I just do not see why MLG would be trying to break into mainstream TV. In fact, I am glad that this is not something that appears to be on their agenda. I would much rather see them work on their own product and sell it in communities that have nothing to do with any networks, just work as hard as they can making it work online. As such, they can go on presenting their own show in a way they are 100% comfortable with.

I love the MLG events, but to be quite honest I would much rather watch it online than on the TV. I think a lot of people feel the same way and for the time being, I am glad MLG will be working on making their company successful in the realm of online broadcasting only.

Natural20

• Baron
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »

So, MLG Anaheim is starting about... now. If you still want to look into world of progaming, that might be the best time. Idra vs Boxer is coming up on red stream (see mlgpro.com) in about a hour, and that match has a hell of a backstory

(And yeah, I don't consider Halo and CoD to be any representaion of what I think progaming is. The thing is, the real progaming wasn't really popular in USA before. Hell, it wasn't really big in any country but SK (SC1) and China (War3) before SC2)

Edit: and BTW they are introducing all the pool players right now

Edit2: interestingly enough, one of NA best Protosses, Kiwikaki, recently played in World Series of Poker, and won $60k. And he will be playing in MLG Anaheim as well, of course

Ignoring Evo. Don't do that.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »

I guess I just do not see why MLG would be trying to break into mainstream TV.
You have to be kidding me.

The NFL agreed Monday to $8 billion in contract extensions with Fox and CBS to televise Sunday afternoon games for six more years, deals that would also allow the league to show better matchups late in the season in prime time.

The eight-year extensions go through the 2015-16 season. The current six-year contracts expire at the end of next season... ...he NBA will receive about $930 million a year for all its broadcast rights, an increase of more than 20 percent from the previous average of $767 million, according to a person familiar with the deal who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release details.

It's the largest TV deal in the history of the NHL, and as officially announced on Tuesday afternoon, NBC Sports Group will pay $2 billion over the next 10-years to retain the rights to hockey on American television. The deal is in effect until the 2020-21 season.

...and with 8 billion dollars, you can do education outreaches to aspiring gamers, create a farm system to weed out the pretenders before they mortgage their entire futures on a false promise, and do all the responsible things real sports leagues do.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Porcelina

• Monk
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

I guess I just do not see why MLG would be trying to break into mainstream TV.
You have to be kidding me.

The NFL agreed Monday to $8 billion in contract extensions with Fox and CBS to televise Sunday afternoon games for six more years, deals that would also allow the league to show better matchups late in the season in prime time.

The eight-year extensions go through the 2015-16 season. The current six-year contracts expire at the end of next season... ...he NBA will receive about $930 million a year for all its broadcast rights, an increase of more than 20 percent from the previous average of $767 million, according to a person familiar with the deal who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release details.

It's the largest TV deal in the history of the NHL, and as officially announced on Tuesday afternoon, NBC Sports Group will pay $2 billion over the next 10-years to retain the rights to hockey on American television. The deal is in effect until the 2020-21 season.

...and with 8 billion dollars, you can do education outreaches to aspiring gamers, create a farm system to weed out the pretenders before they mortgage their entire futures on a false promise, and do all the responsible things real sports leagues do.

In what world is this a sensible comparison?

And my point is not that nowhere in professional gaming should there be a goal to break into mainstream tv. However, I am questioning whether it would be in MLGs best interest to shoot for this, at least in a shorter term. According to interviews, they are only now making money after at least three years of barely making it through.

To try to break into an industry when you know that your own product could do a lot better with its current infrastructure by polishing and refining its current strategies and tactics might be an option, but it is not a given that it is the best course of action.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

In what world is this a sensible comparison?
In the real world, especially if you are expecting recognition as a sport.

And my point is not that nowhere in professional gaming should there be a goal to break into mainstream tv. However, I am questioning whether it would be in MLGs best interest to shoot for this, at least in a shorter term. According to interviews, they are only now making money after at least three years of barely making it through.
And my point is of course it is in MLG's best interest to shoot for getting on television.  That's where the money is.  Are you suggesting MLG isn't trying to make money?  FFS, there's an entire channel on cable dedicated to gaming that seems like an utter no-brainer for an MLG TV deal to learn the ropes of pro gaming production before heading to greener pastures.

It makes me wonder why G4 would air 12 hours of Cops reruns per day instead of running some MLG stuff.  Hell, put MLG telecasts before or after AotS, and let AotS spillover ratings carry MLG telecasts (this is what TBS did way back in the early 80s with their wrestling program ratings spilling over into shows Turner wanted to make big).  It is literally that easy, assuming pro gaming is the phenomenon everyone seems to claim it is.  Why isn't it happening?
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

The audience that's most interested in pro gaming is the same audience that has little to no interest in cable TV. There's no demographic crossover. How many gamers watch G4TV, compared to video podcasts from the likes of Twit or IGN? I have no statistics to back up anything I'm saying so I could be just talking out of my rear end, but take an informal poll if you want. This audience gets the vast majority of their entertainment online, be it Hulu, Netflix, or... elsewhere; the smart thing to do is to go where the audience is. And that's NOT on cable TV.

The EVO streams from a couple weeks back got over two million viewers. That may not be much compared to your average NFL game, but I'd say it's still a significant success for the pro gaming genre.

LXj

• Novice
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »

Some points about TV and eSports:

1. Yes, TV is perhaps where the money is. However, do you really think that eSports will get 8 billion deals from the get go? No, it will start smaller. But guess what, we already have "smaller" with streaming. Last MLG was at the worst possible time for European viewers, but still got almost 1 million viewers from 171 countries. How many countries would cable TV channels broadcast to?

2. There is a very good interview with Complexity manager here
. One of the important thing he said: there were a couple of people who tried to get into esports for money, but only those who had the real passion for gaming stayed and thrived. So a question for you: do you think those who lead TV channels today are people who are really passionate about gaming?

Now I don't know what's the situation with G4. They do have some very favorable articles about esports on their site, but I obviosly don't watch their TV channel.

As for "false promises" about esports... I don't understand at all where this stereotypical crap comes from. Progamers say in the interviews that they are willing to give up everything to become the best. There are no false promises here: you need to work a lot to become really good. Oh, and Koreans win anyway.

PS. I find it particularly strange that someone who seems to be passionate about gaming and podcasting is against esports (which is actually gaming) and internet streaming

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »

Germany was completely different. Just when I stopped school I was thinking if I should continue studying or get a job. Then StarCraft 2 came along and I thought I'd rather play games.
I hope I can play at least twelve hours a day because my goal in the end is to win a GSL. Otherwise I will see it as a failed career.

And what will our intrepid hero do if he comes up empty?  Be a tax receiver instead of a tax payer.  If you can't see what's wrong with that statement, then we have nothing to discuss.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »

Octale's point is fairly solid. The first thing Esports needs to grow is its support structure of development leagues and minor circuits so that there's some middle ground between full-time "MLG pros" and me or you playing SC in our lunch breaks. TV deals and big-budget free agency can come after there's an established system to back them up.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3