VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Google+  (Read 4259 times)

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
Google+
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

Oh noes, another social network.

Seriously though, has anyone else tried this, and if so, what do they think?

I'm not seeing too much compelling over Facebook (the obvious target) unless less application spam is that important to you. Point being I'm not going to get all 60 of my friends to migrate over. Facebook even released a very nice update to their mobile app about the same time this made waves.

Gnomewise

• Staff Member
  • Friar
  • Gnome chicks are Hawt.
    • Casually Hardcore
Re: Google+
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »

I will be interested in trying this, at least to see what innovations may be present.

'Wise

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

I talked to Wayne about it on the show today, and yeah it seems .. interesting. Their major pull is the "circles" feature, which is basically facebook groups done right. However Facebook is well established, but so was MySpace. We'll see what happens, especially since FB have announced a major update soon, which is undoubtedly to compete with Google+'s features.

Evilotaku

• Monk
  • Its not easy being Evil
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

If you want to see a nice hands on overview of Google +, check out Leo Laporte's This Week in Google. There is a lot of fanboying and geeking out, but that's what makes it fun.

The most compelling features are the video chat "Hangouts" and the group messaging "Huddle". Hangouts are damn near identical to the VTW Video Wall, down to the 10 member limit.

The real question is how will 3rd party apps utilize these features. This is what made Twitter and will ultimately break Facebook.

My friends call me Haduken 'cause I'm Down Right Fierce.

Sekani

• Baron
    • sekani2.com
Re: Re: Google+
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »

I've been trying to send out invites to people, but I don't think google is letting me.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »

I've a couple of friends who are meant to be sending me invites too, but it's not working for them either.

Eid

Sekani

• Baron
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:41:45 AM »

Well, if anyone wants an invite, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I'll send them out as soon as the system lets me.

(Not recommended if you don't care for Facebook or social networking in general.)

Scrubpuppy

• Vassal
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Why switch over? I can still troll friends and family on facebook and thats the point of it, right?

Sekani

• Baron
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »

Why switch over? I can still troll friends and family on facebook and thats the point of it, right?

Pretty much. The main differences are a nicer interface, no application spam, and (unfortunately) fewer people.

Invites sent by the way, just waiting on the gates to open.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »

Group video chat and circles, pretty nice. Also spark is apparently stumbleupon but better, so we'll see. I think this could be very, very mega win.
Pages: [1] 2 3