VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Australian Rules Football (AFL)  (Read 2915 times)

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
Australian Rules Football (AFL)
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »

Well, this is almost a social experiment more than anything else, but I don't quite feel qualified enough to talk about some of the other sports on this board (*cough*NFL*cough).

So does anyone else around VTW know about the AFL? Anyone NOT from Australia in particular? The media down here always pick up quite fast on any move made to publicise the game overseas, and as a lifelong fan I'm interested to see if it's garnered any sort of interest in this sort of community - particularly as many of my local friends who identify as gamers couldn't give a stuff about sports, and are therefore useless to talk to.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

AwesomistG

• Monk
Re: Australian Rules Football (AFL)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:26:22 PM »

Well what are the rules to Australian Rules Football?
History Is Made By Those Who Break The Rules

scienceismagic

• Novice
  • Hello.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:11 AM »

I've never seen AFL in my life, nor know anything about it. Enlighting please? :P :D
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Heart Break Kid Shawn Michaels, has left the building.

"Even through the darkest days, this fire burns. Always."

Mardoc

• Novice
  • The Doc is in...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »

Well, I'm a Pom but I currently live in Australia... so I don't suppose I count.

It took me a while to get used to the rules in AFL... and there are still times two years later that I think it's just a massive brawl with a ball. Still, it can be quite fun to watch though.

One thing I find interesting is that, even if a player misses the goal, he gets a point for trying. No other sport does that to my knowledge... seems a bit like "Oh well, at least he tried. Go on, have a point."

And why do they bounce the ball?! Seriously, it's a bloody egg shaped ball... they're not supposed to bounce! You don't see NFL or rugby players doing it (well, OK, NFL players spike the ball sometimes, but they don't plan on catching it when it bounces!) And if the umpire can't bounce it straight up... every time... which they cannot... why doesn't he just bloody throw it?!

All that said, though, it can be quite fun to watch. Especially when you get to know the teams. Hailing from Perth, and choosing sides based upon how much of an underdog they are, I chose to "barrack" for the Fremantle Dockers. Which has turned out for the best since they're having an OK season this time around. I did see the Eagles play the Demons at the MCG last month (whilst working... I love my job!) and that was pretty cool too. Although it must be said... there wasn't nearly as much atmosphere in the crowd as there was when I went to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs play in the EPL.  It's a very different experience. Fun for the whole family.

Anyway, if you're interested in learning the rules of AFL I would suggest doing what I did... and just sit down and watch a game. Don't read up about it, don't try to find out the rules before hand, just sit down, grab a cold one, and enjoy the game. Not only is it informative, but it's bloody hilarious as you sit there laughing your arse off going... "What the hell is going on?!" (Just don't watch the Nab Cup... they have something called "Supergoals" which are when you kick it in from outside 50... they don't count in the real season.)

Grail

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »

I have watched a few games? matches? not sure the correct term and I had the reaction of "WTF is going on?  Why did that guy just bounce a football and then catch and punt?  What is up with those refs and their outfits by the goalposts and what was that crazy hand gestures they make when a goal happens?   How the hell is scoring determined?"  All these questions were punctuated with laughter and bouts of "OMG that guy just got hammered"

My impression is that they mixed Football, American Football, and Rugby together into a crazy hodgepodge. 

Grail
I chose something different.  I chose the impossible.  I chose Rapture! -Andrew Ryan

Mardoc

• Novice
  • The Doc is in...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »

You, my friend, have just summed up AFL in a nutshell. ^^

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:19:12 AM »

Holy s***, this thread got posts in!

AFL football is a strange hodgepodge as mentioned, about the closest game to it is Gaelic Football (hence our semi-serious international series against amateur Irishmen every year). Like soccer, on an oval, if every player could play the ball like a keeper and catching it on the full got you a free kick, and there were a larger set of goals outside the main ones which give one point if kicked through. Oh yeah, and if it was full contact. It has even less in common with American Football rules-wise, but the skillsets (to my knowledge) are more similar - a few particularly long-kicking AFL players have pursued second careers as NFL punters during their twilight AFL years. It was originally invented to keep cricketers fit during the off season (with which it has even less in common - search me). Although there seems to be a constant scandal these days about the various new strategies employed by teams and the rules changes employed to "maintain the sport we love", it is the only sport I enjoy enough to watch live, and one that I am an enthusiastic follower of.

Owing to the Australian culture of taking all the cultural energy and dosh other nations dedicate to the arts and throwing it all at sports, it is... ah... rather popular here, particularly in Victoria, its "homeland", and other states in which the rugby codes do not have a historical presence (I.E. New South Wales and Queensland). Take any copy of the leading tabloid in my city from the past decade, and there is probably a 75% chance one of the cover stories is about AFL - even during the off season. So yeah. I dunno how visible (or not) it was to those in other countries, hence this thread out of curiosity.

Here is a video composed of many thousand pictures, therefore saying 1x10^6 words. Musical taste and visual quality is awful, but at least they have an alright eye for highlights (unlike most other youtube vids).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NdEJDNNfE[/youtube]

*DISCLAIMER* I have followed my family's club in this sport since early childhood, and get paid to umpire it weekly, so I may be a touch biased in my opinions.

Hailing from Perth, and choosing sides based upon how much of an underdog they are, I chose to "barrack" for the Fremantle Dockers

Props for your team finally doing well. Although I fear for your success should Barlow, Pavlich or Sandilands ever get injured.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Mardoc

• Novice
  • The Doc is in...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »

To be honest with you, mate, I don't follow it nearly close enough to know any of the players (except for Chris Judd and Barry Hall... and the little bloke who plays for the Dockers). I was bought up with football (or soccer) and that's pretty much the only sport I follow religiously. I do consider myself a sports fan, though, and will keep an eye on things like rugby, AFL or whatever (I'm quite partial to the Formula 1... go McLaren!) I'll probably be watching the State Of Origins match between NSW and Queensland tonight, even though I don't like League nearly as much as Union.

But yeah, back on topic. I went to watch a WAFL game between East Fremantle and West Perth the other day (with work... I still love my job!). Good fun! The crowd was in fine form, cheering and chanting loudly, and one bloke even bought along his vuvuzela (the annoying horns you hear in all the World Cup coverage). It was a decent atmosphere, and you could tell that both the players and the fans take it seriously, even at the lower tiers. It really is a national obsession... along with claiming to hate the cricket whenever England hold the Ashes, but loving it whenever the Aussies win.

Mecha

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »

Well, this is almost a social experiment more than anything else, but I don't quite feel qualified enough to talk about some of the other sports on this board (*cough*NFL*cough).

So does anyone else around VTW know about the AFL? Anyone NOT from Australia in particular? The media down here always pick up quite fast on any move made to publicise the game overseas, and as a lifelong fan I'm interested to see if it's garnered any sort of interest in this sort of community - particularly as many of my local friends who identify as gamers couldn't give a stuff about sports, and are therefore useless to talk to.

I hear it receives similar coverage in America/UK like we get Lacrosse and Ice hockey over here. It severs a very defined niche that some people overseas seem to enjoy and watch when its on. Funnily enough i've being hearing alot of people overseas saying they saw it once and thought it was a great game, in Australia the country is pretty split, with Victoria (The southeast tip) having most of the AFL teams (spreading around the South coastline to Perth on the Southwest) but in the Eastern parts of Australia like Sydney/Brisbane, we have a team each and follow it, but we are much more into NRL (Rugby League - its a cooler more defined fast paced version of normal rugby, worth a youtube of a grand finals highlights if you're interested) in those parts.

Overall, watch AFL if you want to see some serious skill, they are talent athletes (that aren't build to be stronger but rather more fit and incredibly well trained at kicking accurately). I imagine getting coverage for it would be difficult unless you have cable that covers it, and even then i think would be a hard one to find. Well worth it though!
Because being awesome, prepared and organised is overrated!

Nunleft

• Worst Thief ever.
  • Baron
  • Nunleft
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »

Quick rules Run down

Scoring
you have to KICK the ball through the middle posts of the goals in your end, doing so gets you 6 points. if you get though the outer posts/it hits the middle posts/ or is tapped in (by accident) its worth one point. Highest Score wins.

Movement through field
there is 3 ways of transferring the ball from player to player: 1)Handball, 2) Tap and 3) Kick. A hand-ball is literally punching the football out of you palm to another player. A tap is exactly what it says, a Kick is interesting however. If the Ball Goes over 15 metres and someone Marks it (Catches it) they can either "Play-on" or stop to look for a target and kick without interference. A player can (correct me if Im wrong) run 15 metres without either tapping the ball on the ground or tapping on the ground. if you dont it goes to the other team.

Possession switches
If a Player holds onto the Ball too long (not bouncing,) a free kick is awarded. However if it is "Held to him" the ball is tossed up from where the tackle was, if it goes over the boundary line it is thrown in from where it went over. However if it goes over without touching anything it is out on the full and possession switches. High tackles, tripping, pushes in the back, etc... award free kicks. If an event transpires after a mark/free kick is awarded, a 50 metre penalty is awarded meaning the guy who got the mark/free kick is moved forward 50m. if it hits the outer posts of the goal it is also out on the full.

Gameplay
the umpires bounce/throw the ball in the centre where the ruck-men have to try and tap it to their team mates. Players can (as far as i know) shepherd the ball to allow a running game. if a point (1 point scored) is scored the team which didn't gets the ball from the goal square of the goal in question

If I didn't make something clear tell me. Go Essendon Bombers even if we are sucking at the moment.

EssenNun Bombers

"It's a Cool Story, Bro. I needs something else... It needs more..."-Nunleft
Pages: [1] 2