VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forgotten Realms!  (Read 1525 times)

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
Forgotten Realms!
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

An amazing series, anyone else agree? /discuss

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
Re: Forgotten Realms!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

I won't pretend to be an aficiando of this series, although I flatted with a guy who was for a few years. From what I've heard, generally the appeal of anything involving drow is something like
Appeal = 1/(Number_of_prequels_involving_Drizzt^2 + Reader_age^1)

I did read the first three books concerning the Time of Troubles, but I didn't think much of them, as the story felt to me like it moved excruciatingly slowly.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »

I won't pretend to be an aficiando of this series, although I flatted with a guy who was for a few years. From what I've heard, generally the appeal of anything involving drow is something like
Appeal = 1/(Number_of_prequels_involving_Drizzt^2 + Reader_age^1)

I did read the first three books concerning the Time of Troubles, but I didn't think much of them, as the story felt to me like it moved excruciatingly slowly.

I think you made me nerdgasm.

Edge Damodred

• Monk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:37:07 AM »

My favorite book in the series still has to be Elfsong. Danilo Thann and Elaith Craulnober make for such interesting dialogue as the two try to kill and help each other at the same time.

The Shadow of the Avatar trilogy which parallels the main Time of Troubles story is significantly more entertaining.

Troy Denning's novels are rather well told except the beginnings are incredibly slooooooooow.

Mage in the Iron Mask is definitely a fun read and is one of the few books to actually star the world famous traveler Volothamp.

The Elminster series I found tended to get worse longer it went on. Loved The Making of a Mage, enjoy Elminster in Myth Drannor, was kinda bored by The Temptation of Elminster and couldn't even bring myself to read the first few chapters of Elminster in Hell,. Don't even know if there's one that follows it.

The Starlight and Shadows Trilogy is a good place to start if you're curious about the drow after the events of R.A. Salvatore's Siege of Darkness. Liriel Baenre follows a similar path to that of Drizzt but she has a much darker nature to her and the friends she finds.

JaySee

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

I've only read the Dark Elf trilogy and Icewind Dale trilogy, but I did enjoy them.  I like the whole underdark vibe, but Drizzt is too much of a "Mary Sue".  The next series i will read is probably The Elminster Series.

Here is a great website for Forgotten Realms information (timelines, series, images):
http://www.o-love.net/realms/index.html
Lvl 80 Gnome Mage - Burning Legion [US]

frostymunky

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

Isn't there a sub-series of the Legend of Drizzt concerning Jarlaxle and Entreri on their own journey together? If anyone knows about it, please enlighten me.

Vandal

• Vassal
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »

Isn't there a sub-series of the Legend of Drizzt concerning Jarlaxle and Entreri on their own journey together? If anyone knows about it, please enlighten me.

You are in fact correct. Jarlaxle and Entreri are the focus of i believe 3 books which are all the the title "The Sellswords".

Personally, my favorite is hands down The War of the Spider Queen series. Excellent novels.