VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Creating Young Readers  (Read 1597 times)

Arduanne

• Novice
Creating Young Readers
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

I don't know if anyone else is in this position, but I'm sure there are at least a few.  I have 9 newphews and 4 nieces (a couple of those are technically 2nd cousins, but in the interest of not confusing all of them at the same age, they all call me Aunt).  For birthdays and Christmas, I always get each of the kids a book.

Right now they range in age from 3 up to 12, so it's a pretty wide spread.  I always had a person in my life that would get me books (and eventually gift certificates to the bookstore when they couldn't keep track anymore) as gifts.  I LOVE being this person for my nieces and nephews.  I start them all off with the same book, which I sign and date for them (and trust to their parents) when they are born.

Guess How Much I Love You

I will often pick up a "read aloud" book for each family of kids if they aren't quite up to independent readers yet.  Some of my favorite picks have been:

The Hundred Dresses

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Pumpkin Soup

The Giver

Charlotte's Web

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Holes

His Dark Materials Series (Pullman)
The Heir Chronicles Series (Williams-Chima)
Artemis Fowl Series (Colfer)
The Magic Treehouse Stories

Does anyone have any books or series that they love giving to young readers to get them hooked?

Grail

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
Re: Creating Young Readers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

To hook young minds on fantasy I would say The Belgariad series by David Eddings.

Grail
I chose something different.  I chose the impossible.  I chose Rapture! -Andrew Ryan

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »

Young people tend to love Harry Potter, not brilliantly written but a good story, which I loved throughout my childhood and teen years.

And keep it up, fantasy books are a great way of keeping kids out of trouble with their easy-to-interpret themes and ideals :) <3 Fantasy books.

John

• That -1 Guy.
  • Baron
  • The -1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »

being 13 myself i sugest the warriors series by erin hunter

Capt. Insane

• Friar
  • Do you question my insanity?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »

I dont think im a good judge I read Jurassic Park in 7th grade awesome book.

Daksa

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »

Our son enjoyed the Harry Potter Series, The Warrior Series, A Series of Unfortunate Events and when he was really little The Magic Tree House series.
I don't heal.  I hit things really hard then they kill me.

Edmunt

• Monk
  • Well, they are, um magical...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »

I know this may sound weird but I think the best way to create young readers is to start with graphic novels and comics/manga. Which really shouldn't be to hard.

I became a serious reader around 14 or 15, but I had already been collecting comics my whole life. Now as everyone thats read a comic or graphic novel knows there quick reads. You could read an entire graphic novel in about an hour (unless its Watchmen, that one can really take a while). So there kinda like practice. After a while just find out what they like and try and suggest a book thats similar, might take a while for them to get into it but in the end it should catch on.

Thats just kinda my opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:48:25 PM by Edmunt »

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:29:58 PM »

I recommend Cam Jansen for your budding Mystery readers. They're a great way to begin to peak interest in mystery novels, not to mention great books in general.

Upside, Downside, Up is a book of short poems written by Nyhm, the WoW Machinimator. It's a fantastic book of short poems reminiscent to Falling Up which I also recommend. If you want to expose your children to poetry early on, these books are fantastic beginners.
http://www.lulu.com/content/hardcover-book/upside-downside-up/7609716

I know my nephew loves Diary of a Whimpy Kid, I'm sure it was already suggested(and now looking, I see it has), but it really reminds me of the book form of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, which was a show on Teen Nick about surviving Middle School. If your kids are getting into school, I'm sure they'll be able to attach themselves to this book rather well.

Where the Wild Things Are is another great book for the youngsters, so is The Giving Tree for those Feel Good friendship stories, I'd recommend both.

Vandal

• Vassal
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »

Our son enjoyed the Harry Potter Series, The Warrior Series, A Series of Unfortunate Events and when he was really little The Magic Tree House series.

I started on the Magic Treehouse series, i have updated since but i really started to read complicated Sci-Fi books at a young age so my opinion might not weigh as heavily. That being said, i recommend Enders Game. Great book to start off with at around 6th grade.

Acido

• Friar
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »

david gemmel series (iv read all of them approaching 9 times)
the magicans guild by trudi somthing
young bond series
andy mcnab if there into that kind of thing

(all books from my chilhood)(might want to check which gemmle you buy, some are a bit randy)