VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Favourite Web Comics - Take Two!  (Read 2494 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Favourite Web Comics - Take Two!
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

The following comics are NSFW (Not Safe For Work). Be warned.

I recently got two new apps for my iPhone -"Ctrl Alt Del" and "Cyanide and Happiness". I've heard alot about CAD, and so I picked it up and strolled through about 40-50 of their comics, and realized it was pretty poor humour, jumping on latest crazes and memes, basically jumping onto the tails of the genuinely enjoyable viral internet phenomenon. To be fair however, I did only read some from the first two years of writing and a couple more recent ones.

Cyanide and Happiness however had me not just smiling at the odd reference but full blown laughing at a few of them, giggling at most, and atleast smiling at the rest. Like all webcomics there are the odd bad jokes and generally unwitty pieces but overall I really have enjoyed reading all of their writings. I am so far 4 years or so through their history, with some more to go, and I don't look forward to the end.

What about you guys? There are hundreds more users on this forum than the last post, so much more to be said I'm sure.

Please post once, and I'll edit it into this post, keeping it nice and clean into Barryva standard of posting. Also say if it's NSFW, like the two above.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:38:00 PM by GoheX »

Baronofbeefdip

• Vassal
  • WONK
Re: Favourite Web Comics - Take Two!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:14:20 AM »

Least I Could Do: by Ryan Sohmer and Lar Desouza
   LICD chronicles the life of a very promiscuous guy named Rayne Summers. He is very good with the ladies, while often showing signs of sheer stupidity, arrogance, or just being a prankster. I came upon this comic and was quite intrigued by it's humor. About 30 strips in, I had bookmarked this excellent strip. This comic is updated every day. May be NSFW, due to sexual references throughout, and some minor language.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:39:49 PM by Baronofbeefdip »

sirNik

• Vassal
  • While I am still Blonde, I am no longer Blondie.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38:13 AM »

I'm a big fan of The Gutters, made by the same people as LICD, with different pencilers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It's humour about comic books.
Host of

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »

My favourite webcomic is unquestionably Homestuck. It is a long and convoluted adventure story told by a combination of single panel scenes, exposition, chatlogs, animated *.gifs, flash animations and music.

Calling it a webcomic is actually rather underselling Homestuck, as it transcends the traditional boundaries of the medium. I don't know of anything else quite like it.

It also has a rapid update rate, with author Andrew Hussie often posting as many as several new pages a day, save for when he is creating a flash animation update.

It probably has several thousand pages by this point, but I have archive-binged it from start to most recent several times and I find more to enjoy every time I read it.

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »

Rather than start a new topic about this gem of a web comic I've discovered, a post in this thread should suffice. Favorite "X" threads don't really have an expiration date if you ask me. So here we go.
Ladies, I present to you El Goonish Shive!
This web comic has it all. It's a little sad when it tries to be serious, and Dan can certainly write a good serious story, but it doesn't fit this particular comic very well. Thankfully you can skip those parts and focus more on the humorous ones pretty easily with it's navigation menus; I don't recommend it though.. That said, even the humorous parts of the story deal with mature/serious themes (Homosexuality, Transgender, Anthromorphic, death of close family/friends, mass murder, and many more). Most of it stays SFW though. I've enjoyed Dan's work since high school, so I thought I might share this with you guys.

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »

I second all the recommendations in this thread, particularly EGS. However, it is one of those story-focused comics rather than a gag-a-day strip, so if you have the willpower you may be best off only checking it every couple of months, so you can read an entire arc at once. I find reading each strip as it comes causes me to very quickly become plot-fatigued.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »

I second all the recommendations in this thread, particularly EGS. However, it is one of those story-focused comics rather than a gag-a-day strip, so if you have the willpower you may be best off only checking it every couple of months, so you can read an entire arc at once. I find reading each strip as it comes causes me to very quickly become plot-fatigued.
I love watching his art progression as well. He updates every day for what? 9 years now? It's amazing to see him improve from where he was to where he is. I also love his detailed bits after every update, that must take a ludicrous amount of time.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »

Banana Monkey Ninja is a web comic written by one man. He's a good friend of my brothers and his web comics are syterical and can be considered offensive very often, but it's quality content I assure you.

Here's one of my favorites.