- 18 (78.3%)
No, I don't want to lose the stuff I've built
- 2 (8.7%)
No, and here's why...
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: February 09, 2011, 07:32:45 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: VTW Minecraft: A fresh start  (Read 14706 times)

Fernurion

• Baron
  • Hipster Frog
VTW Minecraft: A fresh start
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »

So I've been throwing around the idea of wiping the minecraft world and starting fresh. While we will lose everything we have built, it will enable a more organised and less blown up world to build in.

at the current moment I am still tossing around the idea of whether or not to allow object spawning in the new world. Personally I am leaning towards not allowing it, to bring the game closer to how it should be (There would be exceptions, such as supplies for the subway network.) a few other ideas that will be strongly considered:

-Walling off a large area around the spawn point, and not allowing any type of construction in there
-a designated and clearly marked pvp area near the spawn point
-a group effort to build, upgrade and maintain both an underground railway network as well as a network of well lit roads & Paths at ground level, to ensure everything can be found easily (may become partially obsolete once Bukkit mod releases, replaced with warp gate network)
-New vtw city located closer to the spawn point, and restocked once or twice a week with supplies which are available to everyone in limited capacity (ie: use all the picks, and you'll either have to make your own or wait for a restock)

The current world will be backed up one final time and removed from the server, as the current setup does not allow multiple worlds to run simultaneously. It will be made available for download should anyone wants it for single player or restoration at a later date

So what are your thoughts? Would you support a fresh start? Suggestions?

Aeyup.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
Re: VTW Minecraft: A fresh start
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »

It's difficult, but IF we were to make a new world, then I would go with no 'gratuitous' spawning and I agree 100% with the proposed changes.

However, I also think about what we would loose and I actually like the un-planned chaotic nature of our server and loosing that would be a shame. I am also not sure how many active people are on the server? Could we actually re-imagine a VTW City in a timely fashion? Whatever we do then we should probably try and drum up some more members?

Personally I think we should wait for the game to come out of Beta and then make a new 'final' version world.

Eid
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:52:02 AM by Eid »

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »

Can we possibly keep a spawning world and create a vanilla world?

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »

Can we possibly keep a spawning world and create a vanilla world?

While a pure server could be a heap of fun, it is not currently possible to have two simultaneous worlds running on one server. In order to do it I'd have to purchase hosting for a second server. Alternately I could put a hard disable on item spawning on the current server (blocks any and all spawn commands, including admins).

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »

Ah, my bad. That's what I get for skim reading on my iPhone!

In this case my vote is for new server, losing everything we've done. The backup thing solves the problem of losing our buildings to be honest.

Calgore

• Monk
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

The idea of a new server sounds intriguing, and I think that the removal of spawning tools would be a good idea.
I know that I'm sort of addicted to spawning tools and materials....

Volkiin

• Friar
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »

even though i put a lot of effort and time into the current world, i would be happy to start fresh. I think it be good to limit the ammount of stuff spawned, and maybe only allow you (Fern) to be able to spawn items.

Frets

• Friar
  • Sinister
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »

Keeping a backup of the current world sort of removes the issue with losing all the stuff we've made, for me at least.

This could actually prove to be an opportunity to remake Emperor's Castle and Empire to be more coherent, planned out. Bigger, greater, etc.

Since, according to the proposed restrictions, we're not allowed to build around the spawn, we should have the area below spawn as a large strip mine, to get our resources.
The only things that would need spawning would be the stuff we can only obtain in The Nether, especially Netherrack and Glowstone.
We live our lives bound by what we accept as correct and true. That is how we define "reality".

Kevin

• Monk
    • WhiteSword Media
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

If we get a fresh start can we get a spawn zone like this ( I made this)

Fernurion

• Baron
  • Hipster Frog
Re: Re: VTW Minecraft: A fresh start
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »

Thanks Kevin, that's more or less what I had in mind.

Another thing to note. It is possible to copy chunks from one map to another through third party programs. To do this though is tedious and will make the changeover take longer.

We currently have quite a large number of regular players with more joining in every few days. The amount of players has far surpassed my expectations, mostly thanks to everyone spreading the word and Grebog's awesome content segments. It would not be difficult to work out some numbers so I'll see what I can produce.

In any case, a new world may still be a little way off. If Bukkit launches in the next month I'll probably tie the new world to the installation of Bukkit.

Aeyup.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11