VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ultimate Frisbee (or "Ultimate")  (Read 1302 times)

Arkaen

• Novice
Ultimate Frisbee (or "Ultimate")
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »

From what I hear, Ultimate is a game that is fairly famous in California.  I would describe it, but without a very adept knowledge, I don't feel safe, so I will quote from here;

Ultimate plays very similarly to rugby or football. The field has two end zones, and a team scores by catching a pass in the defensive team’s end zone. The defending team performs a “pull” (think “kickoff” in football) to start the match (and after every subsequent point scored). The offense moves the disc by passing to teammates in any direction. Once a player catches the disc, he must come to a stop as quickly as possible. From this position, he can only move his non-pivot foot. A player has ten seconds to throw the disc after catching it.

The disc changes hands either by turnover or after a score. A turnover occurs when a pass is not completed, intercepted, dropped, blocked, held for longer than the allotted ten seconds, or thrown out of bounds. The defending team assumes control of the disc immediately following a turnover, from wherever the disc lands on the field. There is no stoppage of play (unless a foul, injury or bad weather occurs).

I'm curious whether or not anyone here plays it, or has heard of it.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: Ultimate Frisbee (or "Ultimate")
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »

I've heard of it, my Uni has a society dedicated to it aswell.

Looks like fun, but supposedly it's quite dangerous =p I'd get into it if I had more free time, but sadly I am too busy lurking these here forums all my spare time ;)

Devout

• Friar
  • I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
    • Tankatronic.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »

Meh.  Not a real sport.  ;D

Spocket

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »

It's a very popular sport among long distance runners in the Northeast.