VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gaming Art  (Read 2173 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Gaming Art
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »

This is a toughie to put into one specific thread. Gaming OR Art? I say Art.

What games, in your opinion, did extremely well with the artistic aspects of the graphics? Such as Landscape, creatures, scenery, etc.

WoW did very well in my opinion, I enjoyed Oblivion for it's vast, open and differing world too. Same with Fallout 3, fantastic though very samey scenery.

People say games shouldn't be judged on graphics. While I agree Crysis is taking my view a bit too far, I think it does matter. We should still enjoy the way a game looks. Call me superficial or call me an artist, but it thoroughly enhances my game experience if it's well designed and flows.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
Re: Gaming Art
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »

I have to bring up Okami. There has never been another like it. Well, until the sequel comes out.

Other top picks for me would have to include Odin Sphere and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

Daksa

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »

Fable 2 did water and other aspects really well
I don't heal.  I hit things really hard then they kill me.

Grail

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »

Interesting, may need to have a separate thread for games that excel at artistic expression.  As for purely focusing on graphics I would agree with Oblivion as well as it's predecessor Morrowind.  I believe Myst still maintains one of the most visually stunning experiences I have had in gaming.

Grail
I chose something different.  I chose the impossible.  I chose Rapture! -Andrew Ryan

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »

Hmmm, seems like other people are going for a more orthodox type of graphical beauty than the titles I suggested, none of which excelled technically, since they are all PS2 games that were well behind the graphics technology of the time they were released.

I nominated Okami due to the sheer perfection of execution of its unique take on the cel-shaded art style. Combined with the brilliant musical score and the sheer amount of love which so obviously went into the creation of the game, I have rarely been so stunned at a game as an experience or piece of art as when I played Okami, and in my opinion it deserves acclaim along with the other more widely acknowledged greats of games-as-art such as Ico.

I brought up Odin Sphere and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria because I think that they are the epitome of attention to artistic detail in graphics in the 2D and 3D styles respectively, still surpassing anything I have seen from the current generation of technology. The sheer depth of thought that has gone into the design of the characters and scenery(especially the scenery in VP2) in these games still blows my mind.

Red Dog Dragon

• Baron
  • Pink Pony is Best Pony
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series have done a lot of great work.

I'm also a big fan of the art design of Quake, Quake 3, and Doom 3.

Doom 3 has a special place in my heart for all the added detail and how there's a lot in the game that doesn't threaten the player gameplay-wise but is designed simply to put the player on edge.

It's also one of the only games I'm aware of that didn't have a music track, it instead completely depended on the ambient sound to act like a theme to great effect.

I favorite part of the game:

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »

So I immediately thought of Shadow of the Colossus. If I had to choose one title to convince a bystander that games are art, it's that. Beautiful graphics, not just technically (considering it's a PS2 title) but in their commitment to a unique style and the amazingly detailed design on the creatures and terrain. The story is a triumph of minimalism, and the many tiny touches put into the game for no other reason than immersion, such as the way your character changes imperceptibly with each colossus slain, too slowly to notice until you near the end of your journey and suddenly realise how much darker you are, or the minutiae of the voices heard murmuring during the post-boss cutscenes, make this short game unique enough to be memorable for years. In a kind-of similar way, Portal, for combining a horizon-expanding mechanic with fantastically dark humour.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »

Viewtiful Joe

It really captured the comic book style in a big way and is one of the only games that I think has actually benefited from cel-shaded graphics.