VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best Super Power  (Read 4059 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: Best Super Power
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

Once you know and understand everything, you can get any superpower you want.

I disagree, good sir. Knowledge of how to do anything doesn't help if you're stuck inside a titanium safe without any materials.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »

That isn't true. You don't know what can or cannot be accomplished by sheer understanding of fundamental mechanics of the universe, with the possibility of complete mental control of your body and using forces not yet understood by man to do anything. You would know the future (probabilistic determining of every variable leads to perfect knowledge of the future). This also applies to telepathy, using the probabilistic determining of a persons environs to know what they are thinking at all times.

Maybe I'm applying "knowledge is power" too literally, but man does not know how much it doesn't know and being omniscient would open up all possibilities ever, while restricting you to a single path. The "knowing the future changes it" thing only works when you have a limited view of the future, because the knowledge changes what you view. Knowing the whole future removes the changing of knowledge and therefore all the possibilities, while still making them present.

...I think about this too often. :P

Fireyheart

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »

I change my answer. MacGyver's power. It's a power.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »

Haha, I still disagree. While yes you can be omnipotent and know everything, that doesn't necessarily mean you will learn telepathy. Perhaps it's not within a normal human's capability, omnipotent or not. Might not be physiologically possible.

And a knowledge of time does not = win either, if this insanely knowledgeable human came to be within this titanium box and was within in forever (as in from then onwards) then even if he new his entire future, he would still be stuck within this box. And even if the future changes, this human still cannot under any circumstance interact with the outside world. So regardless of his mental capability, he is forever limited with his physical body.

But if people do have the capability to communicate with other minds, or manipulate objects with their minds, then my argument is void. But till that is discovered, said person would be useless.

I love super hero theorycrafting.

ursiheil

• Monk
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »

Shapeshifting would be my pick... not just mimicing other people, but shift muscle and bone tissue around to increase physical attributes... URSI SMASH!

Fireyheart

• Novice
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »

How about a Green Lantern style cowbell. So that when you play it, you can make anything. And if Christopher Walken needs more of that cowbell, you can drop it on a fool. 

AngryBadger

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »

depending on the day, During cons I rather have teleportation.  But on day to day like I rather have elemental control.  able to control the weather, freeze people, burn people, shoot out lightning basically a Shaman if there was no give a take.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »

GoheX, you don't know what we don't know so you can't truely discount my answer. My answer is neither acceptable because of the limit of our current knowledge nor is it not acceptable because of the limit of our current knowledge. I know my shit. ;D

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »

GoheX, you don't know what we don't know so you can't truely discount my answer. My answer is neither acceptable because of the limit of our current knowledge nor is it not acceptable because of the limit of our current knowledge. I know my shit. ;D

Nor mine ;) Exactly my point, good sir.

And AngryBadger, what's with all the hate against people!? "Burn people", "freeze people", "shoot out lightning". Are you going on a rampage?

Darth Xanith

• Baron
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

I always liked the idea of complete control over kinetic energy, the ability to generate, redirect and nulify any level of physical force which thinking about it would give you super speed movement, and strength noone could match (considering you can steal someone's kinetic energy from a punch then hit them with it + your own). Used to have a roleplaying character who had that strength and simply let others think he was just fast and strong ^_^
Pages: 1 [2] 3