VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Discuss "A Post Apocalyptic Cautionary Tale"  (Read 1832 times)

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

DeusEx

• Eisenzerstörer
  • Baron
Re: Discuss "A Post Apocalyptic Cautionary Tale"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »

I quickly skimmed your article Octale, and I do agree with you on the majority of it ... but what many will indubitably fail to realize is that for every say Octale or Gnomewise out there, there are a bunch of twitter idiots out there. Glad I don't follow any twitter idiots (and none can follow me) due to my account being private.

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »

You should do another blog post about how stupid Twitter is.

Or maybe I will....

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »

You should do another blog post about how stupid Twitter is.

Or maybe I will....

The problem and the brilliance of Twitter is that because of the character limit, it becomes a necessity to condense your opinions, notions, and overall message into a small, easy to consume, and easy to misinterpret message. For example, if I were to say that I think that women in a post apocalyptic enviornment would be more likely to whore themselves out to meet their needs, I'd have to say just that, with no more subtext, opinionated soliloquy, or in fact anything of value except for the main idea. And now you as the reader may find me offensive for saying such a thing, even though you have no idea of my full opinion, because that's the only amount of text I could fit into my main idea, you may choose to ignore me, call me a bigot, or even agree with me if you have a bigoted view that I may in fact not agree with entirely, simply because the only message I can portray is the main idea, not the entire story.

Case and point, we don't really know what the original messengers opinion on this fully was, nor do we know in what context it was being said, all we fully know is the main idea to a good, perhaps misguided conversation that can only be had in short, concise, but overall subtext-less bursts, which really lets me know next to nothing about the persons opinion other than their momentary, solid idea.

I don't know about all of you, but I kind of prefer my pillow to be a little fluffy. Not too much, but just enough to be comfortable and provide full neck support and coverage.

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:07 AM »

Sorry that this is super-late, but I only just read the blog post. It seems to me, that while a trifle smarmy, the original tweeter was referring specifically a post-nuclear-apocalypse world (Fallout), and the failure to implement nuclear winter (although Fallout does explain this by being set many years after the nukes fell). To my eyes, this guy just sees the skimpy raider outfits as an affront to realism and his suspension of disbelief, rather than an affront to women's rights. Of course, some people like to get all elitist about mass media using sex to sell (like responding to sexual triggers makes you some sort of lesser being or something). Just go into any thread on sexism in videogames and you'll find that viewpoint, but I don't think this tweet is about that, or at least not all about that.

So in short, I don't agree with the tweet in question, but I can see where it's author is coming from, and I think Octale's discussion of scenarios neglects the most obvious one.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

AngryBadger

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

You know I've been thinking about this lately I know this is very old, but meh.

When you think or look at oppress women, you honestly can't think of less cloths.  Victorian times, muslims, and other types of oppress women are normally in more cloths than less.  If I was going to dominate a woman, I'd damn well make sure no one looks at her with the idea of sex in mind.

As for the tweet, it was stupid but that's what you get when you go to the Internet.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:42 AM »

There is a difference between the objectification of personal ownership of a woman (lots of clothes) and the objectification of being a sexual toy (little clothes). Both are poor situations and they aren't really comparable in my opinion.

AngryBadger

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:29:16 AM »

If you didn't read the post basically, a guy says cover up the woman in post apoc games.  Octale says this isn't possible cause the warlord/wealthy would gather women for his pleasure, and because women would like food and shelter, they summit to this.  Therefore, Octale has theorized the warlord would have them running around near nude.

I disagree.  If you are going to subjectate a person, you don't let them attract  the eye of another alpha male who may kill you for her.  Basically you would use her as a sex toy in private, but in public, she is you property.  Then there is saling her then you would strip her down.

So, basically as a character in a post apoc game, I would think you'd see more cloths on woman unless you're in a slave accution or you invited to a private party.

Side note: the reason I decided to post a counter-argument cause there was none and I've been thinking of it for a while.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:37:38 AM by AngryBadger »

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:47:26 AM »

No I've read the article but I was responding to you, AngryBadger.