VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HOW TO: Create Content Segments  (Read 1767 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
HOW TO: Create Content Segments
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

This is a simple guide to creating a simple segment for our shows. Sending in segments will be good for us, and good for you. You'll get experience, fame, glory, we'll get a few minutes to wet our whistles between segments, and enjoy listening to someone else speak for awhile.

Basic Audacity Tutorial: http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/17-audacity-tutorial.htm

-First off, I'd recommend setting yourself some guidelines. Such as how long you plan to speak for, what you want to speak about. Write yourself some notes. I don't mean an essay or a script, I mean notes. A few words for each topic. Here is small amount from my current show notes for my next show:

Steam rockets past 30, 000, 000 (30 million) users
-The size of two and a half world of warcraft's, according to article.

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare - The Graveyards

26th October^

"The price will be $15.95 AUS dollars, $9.99 US dollars, 7.99 or 800 Microsoft Points."

-Simple notes. Too much and you'll be fine reading it out then have nothing to say after your 7 seconds of speaking. You need to glance at it, and decide what you want to talk about.

-Background music. Seen as you like to breathe, and are more than entitled to that, background music will allow you to have a second or two of silence without boring the listeners. It will also set the mood for whatever you plan to speak about. If you plan to speak passionately about how angry you are at Blizzard, then maybe some fast paced music would set the mood nicely. Just make sure your voice overpowers the background music, it really is BACKGROUND music. If you would like some free background music, I'd recommend checking out this list I have built up for music used on my show.

-Decide whether you would like to speak by yourself, or with other show hosts. Make sure you choose another person wisely, if you want a debate make sure it's someone who can stand up for themselves in an argument and vice versa.

-Unsure about your audio equipment? This thread should help. So long as your microphone doesn't produce too bad a buzz, and you're understandable, it'll probably be ok for a segment.

-Decide how you want to structure your segment. Do you want to allow a stream of consciousness to come forth from your mind to the microphone, or would you rather have different segments for different parts of the show? E.g. email, music, current news. Etc.

-Background noise. Prevent it. Warn the other people in the house you will be recording, nothing more annoying than someone slamming a door or hoovering whilst you record. You can't prevent all occurences but you can damn well try. Close your windows, turn off your mobile phone and house phone, and be careful of the time of day. By that I mean school kids might walk past at a certain time after the school doors close.

-Back to topics. If you're unsure on what to speak about, what better inspiration that this awesome community? Talk about your idea on the forums. Check out digg.com, or kotaku. You have the greatest source of information right infront of you!

-If your segment is less than 3 minutes long, you can send it in to be used at vtwsubs@gmail.com

-And remember to name the file something appropraite, as it will appear in the "Now Playing:" box! So "VTW-*name*" would be appropriate but "hopeitsgoodenuf" is not. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:34:37 AM by Ken »

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: HOW TO: Create Content Segments
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »

Updated and unlocked for anyone who wants to ask about help, or put forward any more help.