VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Discuss "In Defense of Quality" Here  (Read 1114 times)

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Darth Xanith

• Baron
Re: Discuss "In Defense of Quality" Here
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »

Well Octale the sad fact is that not everyone does podcasting because they find it fun and want to entertain the audience they have attracted to them, some people are in it for the hit numbers and ad revenue they can rake in from it. I dont listen to those shows though, There are currently 5 podcasts I subscribe to, 3 from VTW productions - O+H Vs the world, Casually Hardcore and Emperor's Court (which is also the only community I actively participate in at this time), Blue Plz and Giant Enemy Crab (though Slanik and Turpster currently cant do the show due to lack of free time at the same time)

All of those podcasts put out high quality entertainment and do so for their audiences - I've known all of the hosts to be genuinely regretful when they cant put the show out for their listeners and to actively enjoy interacting with them, it's genuine enthusiasm and interest in both their audience and subject matter which set them appart and no seminar or marketing day can teach that.

Besides Octale, you'd kill off anything you tried to advertise/sell to your listeners by the act of doing so - history shows this :P

AngryBadger

Re: Discuss "In Defense of Quality" Here
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

It is sad that the camp is more or less how to market and make money.  I don't go to a lot of podcasts and honestly I get offended pretty easily, so I'm glad I don't.  In any defense to the camp, I'm guessing they thought that everyone knew how to make a great podcast and wanted to help you market; however, I'm sure you're right that most podcasts are horrible.

basically 90% of the Internet is objectively crap and over half of what's left is subjectively crap.