VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Life: Do over?  (Read 3857 times)

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
Re: Life: Do over?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 07:41:03 AM »

If I started a new life from the same point in time as I was born, with the world in the same state, I'd likely just do what I did because I wouldn't have knowledge of this life. It could be said that you're kind of asking a very Nietzsche idea of eternal recurrence. Would we want to live this current life forever on end? According to him, it is the ultimate affirmation of life (if we do will it) and the question also poses the largest mental burden of all. He isn't far off the mark in regards to eternal recurrence, in my opinion.

I've been thinking about this a bit since I read it, and I would have to say you would relive life eternally, would you not? Unless your life contains more bad than good, to the point where you feel like killing yourself, being able to relive the highlights of your life would be as worth living for as they were the first time. And if you're unaware that you're recurring, as Thistle suggests, it even removes the And I Must Scream torture of redoing the same events Groundhog Day style. It seems a pretty easy choice to me, although if you are aware of the recurrence and unable to change your actions, then it becomes a much harder question of just how much you want to cling to life, even a banal and shallow brand such as that.

Perhaps I just have a happy, sheltered life.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »

Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could (or I'm not reading it as well as I could) but here's a more accurate take on Nietzsche's theories of eternal recurrence and why they are so important to him.

First off his idea of eternal recurrence has been disproven. Has something to do with set theory and there being an infinite number of sets, or something, but I didn't quite understand it when it was explained to me (though I trust math people on this one). He theorized that, assuming matter was finite and space is finite, but time was infinite, eventually every moment would be recycled by the universe. However, it isn't important whether or not it is wrong, the importance lies in the personal conviction about your willingness to relive. Secondly the idea of the ‹bermensch, the Overman, is also key to his ideas.

Nietzsche thought the ‹bermensch was the future of mankind, and current man was a state between animal and ‹bermensch. While the ‹bermensch is a lot of things and most of them debated, it's generally agreed that the ‹bermensch is happy with his life. I don't mean like "happy at all points in life" but "happy at the end of his life." Happy in this sense is kind of contentment, a feeling that there would be no other way he would life his life. Nietzsche thought that the ‹bermensch obtained this through a Will to Power (another huge idea presented in his writings that I won't go into because that would be too "philosophy" and not enough "hypothetical question").

I'd be glad to discuss this with anyone, feel free to PM me or hit me up somewhere. ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:02:09 AM by Thistledown »

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 03:25:25 AM »

Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could (or I'm not reading it as well as I could) but here's a more accurate take on Nietzsche's theories of eternal recurrence and why they are so important to him.

First off his idea of eternal recurrence has been disproven. Has something to do with set theory and there being an infinite number of sets, or something, but I didn't quite understand it when it was explained to me (though I trust math people on this one). He theorized that, assuming matter was finite and space is finite, but time was infinite, eventually every moment would be recycled by the universe. However, it isn't important whether or not it is wrong, the importance lies in the personal conviction about your willingness to relive. Secondly the idea of the ‹bermensch, the Overman, is also key to his ideas.

Nietzsche thought the ‹bermensch was the future of mankind, and current man was a state between animal and ‹bermensch. While the ‹bermensch is a lot of things and most of them debated, it's generally agreed that the ‹bermensch is happy with his life. I don't mean like "happy at all points in life" but "happy at the end of his life." Happy in this sense is kind of contentment, a feeling that there would be no other way he would life his life. Nietzsche thought that the ‹bermensch obtained this through a Will to Power (another huge idea presented in his writings that I won't go into because that would be too "philosophy" and not enough "hypothetical question").

I'd be glad to discuss this with anyone, feel free to PM me or hit me up somewhere. ;D

I just fell in love with you a little bit...
Pages: 1 2 [3]