VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Basketball and Magic: the Gathering?  (Read 1383 times)

Recta

• Friar
Basketball and Magic: the Gathering?
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »

I'm a huge basketball fan and follow the Portland Trailblazers year round.  One of the websites I read daily posted a comparison between a player and magic: the gathering.  I thought some other sports geeks might find this interesting.  I just have to wonder how many people who read this site would even understand this reference? 

At this point, Oden reminds me of one of those uber-powerful cards in Magic or whatever collectible card game you're passing familiar with.  In every kid's deck there's at least one card that takes 13 mana to play.  It doesn't get drawn, let alone activated, every game.  But when it does make it onto the board it can tip the balance of power big time.  Oden hasn't made it into many games.  He's difficult to rely on at this point.  But if he makes it out there in any shape to play he'll make the Blazers better.  He's probably got some special text that specifies the longer he's in play the more powerful he'll get and the harder he'll be to counter.  To me this season feels like a fresh re-shuffling of the deck.  I feel like that kid hoping and praying that my Big Card will make it out there and I'll finally have a chance to employ it fully.  Unfortunately if you've ever played Magic you know that this doesn't happen as often as you'd like.  A deck full of smaller, more reliable cards juxtaposed correctly and employed skillfully almost always beats the trump-card-heavy deck.  But here's hoping.

http://www.blazersedge.com/

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
Re: Basketball and Magic: the Gathering?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »

Woo go Blazers!

I'm not much of a basketball fan, but ya gotta support your local team. And yeah, I totally agree with the writer that this season does feel like a shuffling of the deck of let's be not terrible.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »

Great quote, Recta.  I laughed heartily.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Pym

• Monk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »

That is an awesome and a bit weird quote at the same time for sure.

So now the only question is: who is the Hurloon Minotaur in the Trailblazers? :P
My favourite heretic in Christian history is a man called Ebion. -Stephen Tomkins