VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setting up a blog.  (Read 2548 times)

Acido

• Friar
Setting up a blog.
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »

firstly, shoot me please if this is the wrong section *blows face off in advance*

okay, iv decided to run a small time blog on the website blogger until i feel like its worth hopping to setting up my own website.

i have no idea what its about at the moment, so any support / suggestions would be appreciated, i think its going to be more of a general blog about, well, me..because you know, im kind of a big deal, no sorry, im actually average in most ways, so go, read about my daily stuggles, if you set it to your speed dial, well, me and you are going to have hugs, and maybe cookies will be exchanged! O.o

anyway, enjoy, comment, and i will talk about everything, from raiding while studying, to art, to my fubared family life, or my
 stalker ex girlfriends, + quates from my favorite places

heres the blog, monotoneme was taken, so excuse the name, its a ph atm.

http://monotonegaming.blogspot.com/

oh, thoose who recognise me from the art section of the fourm *crawls out of under rock* /wave :D

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
Setting up a blog.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »

Layout is simple to read, nice job:) One blogger to the next, don't expect anyone to really comment or any real traffic on your site till about 4-6 months have passed. Don't get discouraged I've had mine for about that long and I still have very little attention.

Also don't feel that u need to blog everyday, you can but it's not a big thing if u don't. Lifes been crazy for me and I haven't blogged in a while so don't worry if u don't from time to time.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
Re: Setting up a blog.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »

It's your blog, so do with it as you please, but remember some people (heck many people!) are spelling and grammer Nazis...
im a single 15 year old, i actively play world of warcraft at a high level of raiding, iv also had experience at guild leading, im currently single! Boo!, In most ways im your average, slightly geeky teen, i cause some low level disruptions at school, but not enough to have a huge impact on mine, or others, grades. I listen to heavy metal music or dare i say it, a fair chunk of trance, my real life is more than fubared, so i might talk about that to some point in this.

I would suggest, using capitalisation (I instead of i).
Apostrophes are also our friends (I'm instead of im)
I would also consider breaking up your sentences.
IMHO it's ok to use domain specific abbreviations. So saying 'fubared' to me, is fine, although some people may take umbrage with it.

I would consider your goals with the blog, I.E. if you're a non native English speaker, writing a blog, in English could be an excellent way to improve your command of the language. (Heck it probably could improve most native English speakers too!)

The best piece of advice I can give, for any written prose is to read, re-read, maybe even read out loud what you're writing. It'll help you catch a lot of simple problems and may even help you to think of more to say.

Anyway best of luck with it!

Eid
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:15:36 AM by Eid »

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »

What Eid said.  if I get a headache reading the first post of your blog, I ain't reading it again.  Punctuation, grammar, spelling all matter...alot (not saying that I'm the best at it, but it does matter).
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Gnomewise

• Staff Member
  • Friar
  • Gnome chicks are Hawt.
    • Casually Hardcore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »

Aye, presentation is everything. Well formed thoughts can be sabotaged by poorly formed grammar. Take the time to become your own self-grammar-Nazi and you will improve that all important first impression. Also, finding someone to be your editor is an option as well.

'Wise

Acido

• Friar
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »

Thanks for all the criticism guys, one of the purposes of my blog was indeed, to improve me spelling and grammar, as most people, pick up on it and lol at me for it.

I will go back and edit the post, so your eyes don't bleed.

Acido :)

Acido

• Friar
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »

iv spell checked it to a level of which i can, but my opera spellchecker is raging at the blogger setup.

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »

You could try a different blogging service. I like tumblr and I've a friend who swears by Typepad. Maybe those will agree with your spell checker more? I also find both of them to be superior to the Blogger interface.

As for the blog itself, it really improved since I read it the first time. Be sure that you are blogging for yourself at first. Getting your blog known comes a while down the way, especially when you have something unique or strong to say. Be patient with it, and definitely don't neglect it.

Acido

• Friar
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »

thanks, yeah, I intend not to worry overly about publicity/ getting it known to much at the moment, although any traffic i do receive is appreciated.

and all the comments on spelling/grammar is a huge help. <3

Acido

• Friar
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »

If anyone could let me know if the anonymous post system is working on my blog?

2nd post is also up, with 3rd going up tomorrow.

thanks

Acido
Pages: [1] 2