VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here  (Read 6878 times)

Erathor

Re: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »

There may be a business model for what you propose, (cash/credit only) express lanes at grocery stores are a reality. While managing a fast food joint in my younger years I posted a sign on the drive thru during busy hours limiting the number of items that could be ordered without coming inside. It improved business during rush hours quite a bit, but pissed some people off.

The world is not made of mathematical perfection or principal and I don't think we want it going there. There is room for a quite a bit of gray area in life. Hey some day you might need to order 4 drinks and I don't expect you to stand aside until all the single item people go first. Frankly taking your principals to this level just shows a lack of social and emotional awareness. I understand the 0 or 1 "all in or out" mentality all to well since I've trained in it for most of my life, but your perception always gets in the way especially when it comes to other people.

I wasn't there, my perception is based on what I read, how I comprehended it and prior history. For example, you didn't mention in original post that he was also "texting" while ordering and how much of an effect that had. I also perceived a shot at the family guy based on prior history. Was I wrong there? It doesn't seem so.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:44:47 PM by Erathor »

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 11:11:52 PM »

Y'know Octale, sometimes I worry about your blood pressure. There seem to be an awful lot of things in this world that make you angry.

Me, I just space out when I'm in a queue for something. I never assume I have correctly predicted how long my chosen line will take, and frankly I don't think I ever have. Standard NZ policy in supermarkets is that all purchases of alcohol or tobacco have to be validated by a supervisor, of which there may be ONE to go around all the checkouts in the building. This can make an apparently short queue take retardedly long. I just don't feel like having a rage about it will do anything but give me a headache.

Dude has every right to buy four coffees for himself if he wants. If he didn't, they wouldn't serve him. You have every right to get your panties in a bunch about how rude you think it is that you made an error in judgement based on a false assumption. But at the end of the day, he got four coffees and you got one coffee and your rage going. With or without your rage, he still gets his four coffees, and you still waited in line behind one person, which is the number of people you queued behind.

If after all this time as a semi-professional hate delivery service you still thought it a valid assumption that the dude in front of you at the coffee shop was going to conform to your standards of polite in a world were basically no one does, well, just wow.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »

Y'know Octale, sometimes I worry about your blood pressure. There seem to be an awful lot of things in this world that make you angry.
Heh, nah;  I'm just a mathematician and a physicist.  To me, there's one right way, and a million wrong ways to do everything.

If after all this time as a semi-professional hate delivery service you still thought it a valid assumption that the dude in front of you at the coffee shop was going to conform to your standards of polite in a world were basically no one does, well, just wow.
Are you kidding?  I default to assuming someone is going to take advantage of common courtesy.  It's no big deal, and I wasn't "angry" per se.  I know everyone can relate to the situation where you get your heart set on something and fate/circumstance/whatever decides to stick it to you.

I'm betting Octale didn't tell the man in front of him to go f--k himself and his family I only need one drink get out of my way, and then grab a weapon and beat the man over and over.  He decided to calmly wait and get his drink then blog about it.
I might have burned a hole through his head with my eyes when the Blackberry came out, but otherwise it is as you describe it, Badger.  Funny how that particular device got to "douchey" faster than iPhones and iPads; I would have never thought it possible, but somehow Blackberry has made it happen.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Novacurse

• Friar
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »

I might have burned a hole through his head with my eyes when the Blackberry came out, but otherwise it is as you describe it, Badger.  Funny how that particular device got to "douchey" faster than iPhones and iPads; I would have never thought it possible, but somehow Blackberry has made it happen.

The only way this could be better is if he was wearing a Bluetooth ear piece.

Daz

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

I see a potential for exclusive/inclusive retailers here. Distribute a card carrying system. If you have the card you get let in, if you don't then you can not shop there. Then only sell the cards to specific people. This would allow Octale and like minded individuals to shop, drink, and watch movies in stores and theaters specifically tailored to his preferences and with a strict filter policy to weed out unwanted shoppers. The opposite could also be implemented to allow the family of four to shop in a controlled environment with features designed around their unique needs (i.e. sound proof glass, padded walls, and corn-syrup-based food paste).

If the consumer is willing to spend an extra 50 or 60 dollars per month for one of these cards then the system will make money. Until that day, your going to see everybody and anybody at the mega-chain retailers that appeal to everyone. Furthermore, the generic retailers will continue to have the lowest prices because they appeal to everyone.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:28:26 PM by Daz »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]