VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here  (Read 6887 times)

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
Re: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »

How in the hell did we go from "I hate people who make lines go slow," something everyone who's ever had to wait in line should be able to relate to, to "I hate people who have families"?

Does the guy in front of me have every legal and god-given right to buy four drinks? Yes. Do I have to like that it's taking forever before I get my drink made just because I happened to be behind that guy? Hell no.

Does the minivan in front of me at the drive-thru have the right to order a feast for six people? Does the person in front of me in the express lane have the right to bring 20 items instead of 12? Does the slow-moving bus or semi-truck have the right to use the same traffic lanes as me? Yes to all of the above.

Am I going to sigh because what I thought would be a quick trip is now taking a few extra minutes? Yup. Does this mean I suddenly hate them and everything they stand for? Of course not, and to think so is ridiculous.

Sekani, this is *ERATHOR* we're talking about here.  If you've looked at what he's posted in the past, he really believes he's entitled to ruin your experiences in everything as trivial as progression in a video game, to the line at the fast food drive thru and beyond, to the movie theater, to the nice restaurant, to the highway, all because he has a family.

It's not like I go to the noon matinee at the movie theater just so I can complain about the number of kids there.  If I am going to go see a movie that might have kids in the audience, then I try to go to the latest show possible to avoid the cacophony that will inevitably ruin the movie going experience.  Aren't I being responsible?  I know other people's (my friends don't apply, obviously) vermin annoy the hell out of me, so I do my best to avoid them.

The same cacophony that ruins the restaurant experience, or the coffee house experience.

I won't even start about the overbearing parent in the either A) the mountainous SUV or B) the minivan slowing to 4 MPH while going around a 45 degree corner to completely disrupt traffic flow based off an irrational fear of centripetal forces.

So what I wonder is, why, when you heard the person in front of you place his order, did you not either change line, or walk out?
I got my heart set.  I did think on the way to the Target, "A frap sure would be nice this morning." Then I walked in the place and saw 1 person in line and 1 barista behind the counter.  I think I would have passed had their been more people in line, but 1 person is usually more than quick enough than to be annoying.  I made a decision on incomplete data, which is bad enough, but the fact that with all the data I'd have made a different decision is what annoyed me enough to write about it.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Darth Xanith

• Baron
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:03 AM »

We've all been there behind the slow person, be it someone ordering a lot more then you expect or the elder customer who decides to pay in exact change (change being the key word there) or, god forbid...Pull out a cheque book. I know from travelling in america that the sight of travellers cheques can cause everyone behind me to attempt to kill me with their minds haha.

To be honest though I find the most annoying thing is when you wait only to find out what you wanted is out of stock/not avaliable. The McDonalds milikshake machine being the prime suspect for me usually - that thing never seems to sodding work >.<

Erathor

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »

Hey I'm not the one who devoted an entire blog post to an experience where I felt like I should be able to cut in line because I'm only ordering one item. I'm not the one constantly talking about my time, my problems, my progression, my guild leadership issues, my right to a quiet movie all the time.

What you don't see is that you are the one ruining your own experiences. Road rage much? Angry at people ahead of you in line for being slow? Mad at your boss? Think your co-workers are lazy or dumb? Refer to children as vermin? Don't think you are paid enough for your awesomeness? Yell at the screen and those playing a game with you?

Avoid what you must, then when you have to deal, rage rage rage... Is that how you want everyone to act?

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »

Hey I'm not the one who devoted an entire blog post to an experience where I felt like I should be able to cut in line because I'm only ordering one item. I'm not the one constantly talking about my time, my problems, my progression, my guild leadership issues, my right to a quiet movie all the time.

What you don't see is that you are the one ruining your own experiences. Road rage much? Angry at people ahead of you in line for being slow? Mad at your boss? Think your co-workers are lazy or dumb? Refer to children as vermin? Don't think you are paid enough for your awesomeness? Yell at the screen and those playing a game with you?

Avoid what you must, then when you have to deal, rage rage rage... Is that how you want everyone to act?

There it is, folks.  Asking someone to have common decency enough to not cut in traffic, to not drag your kids to the late movie before they can handle the experience, to not take your kids to the nice restaurant before they can handle the experience, to drive with competence, to understand that competence and dedication is more important than your personal lust to feel power is too much to ask.  All it takes is common decency.

Could you be more selfish?
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Red Dog Dragon

• Baron
  • Pink Pony is Best Pony
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

I know from travelling in america that the sight of travellers cheques can cause everyone behind me to attempt to kill me with their minds haha.
This made me laugh.

It's even worse when someone who's planning to write a check does NOTHING ahead of time to speed up the process.  It's not so bad when someone fills out everything but the dollar amount before the total is summed up, but I do attempt to drill a hole into the side of the person's head with my mind when they just stand there for 5 minutes as the cashier checks all the items and bags them and then and only then they start fishing for their check book in their oversized purse once the total is said.  Some people got shit to do!

Novacurse

• Friar
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »

IT'S.

HIS.

BLOG.

Of course he is going to write about things that affect HIM. That's the whole fraking point of a blog. That's why VTW staff member each have their own personal blog (if they so choose to use them).

You are obviously perfectly free to read (or not read) the blog, to comment (or not comment) on the blog. But let's have some adjusted expectations here. If someone came on the site and said "Octale, you are wasting everyone's time writing this crap. Your blog should be used to develop cold fusion power," would you think that person was expecting just a tad much? This example of only more exaggerated in scale, not in type, than what you are sounding like.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

There it is, folks.  Asking someone to have common decency enough to not cut in traffic, to not drag your kids to the late movie before they can handle the experience, to not take your kids to the nice restaurant before they can handle the experience, to drive with competence, to understand that competence and dedication is more important than your personal lust to feel power is too much to ask.  All it takes is common decency.

Wait Octale, you actually except parents these days with all of the excuses in "Commonsense.org's media addiction" or "Bullying is forcing him to act out" or otherwise "I don't know why but it's not my fault" that parents can or would actually control their little brats, or even at the very least deny them the experience because they can't to save everybody elses experience? Hell no, because the vengeance there little brat will dole on them for the next week is more than the average "Blame everybody but me" parent can handle.

In any case, this goes back to the parenting argument we have about violent video games and parents controlling their own sons/daughters media consumption, not the other way around, and stupidly enough I've seen some parents who allow their kids to pretty much own the remote, use their own computer privately, and listen to whatever they cry hard enough for their moms to buy or what they pirate. Obviously the same thing goes for fancy restaurants, movies, coffee/fine drink establishments, because if the kid doesn't get exactly what they want or they don't like it, it's going to get ugly for everyone in the restaurant and god forbid if a nearby patron of the restaurant complains, because it's apparently "Socially unacceptable" to complain about a whiny brat ruining your lunch/dinner because they're spoiled.

Speaking of which, why is it usually the person who complains about the whiny child who gets asked to leave? It's not harming the child in any way to be annoyed at them for acting like a baby, unless of course it IS a baby and then I'd ask what a baby is doing in a restaurant. I mean, is it really that bad to be intolerant towards uncontrolled and disruptive children in any place, let alone an establishment you've spent money in? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make a "My money is more important than a family's money" argument, but at the same time, if the families children are making a scene and disrupting my meal, why is my only option to get a headache listening to it quietly or leaving? Why is it not an option to have a waiter throw the family out for the sake of everybody else? I certainly can't be the only one who finds it extremely annoying to hear a little kid shouting for desert or more soda or something trivial all the way across the restaurant, nor do I think I'm in the minority of wanting those kids barred or at least removed quickly by the owners of the establishment, so why aren't more people vocal about this kind of thing? I guess for the same reason it took Octale four posts to get to the point?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:14:57 PM by Ebion »

Erathor

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »

There it is, folks.  Asking someone to have common decency enough to not cut in traffic, to not drag your kids to the late movie before they can handle the experience, to not take your kids to the nice restaurant before they can handle the experience, to drive with competence, to understand that competence and dedication is more important than your personal lust to feel power is too much to ask.  All it takes is common decency.

That is NOT what you blogged about... You were pissed off at someone ordering 4 drinks instead of 1 and costing you 15 minutes in a line. I think that is over the top and not funny at all especially if you internalize it enough to bring it all the way home. We all laugh at the lady in the drug store who has 50 coupons for 5 items, but ordering 4 drinks at Starbucks?

I'm interested though?

What defines the late night movie? After 7PM, 9, 11? What defines the nice restaurant? Cloth napkins? Wine glasses? Driving with competence, does that include pulling over to let you by king Octale? I don't have problems with boundaries, getting pissed off at every little thing isn't something I want to encourage ever.

It reminds me of last year's Black Friday. After seeing some insane deals at Besy Buy, I braved the crowds. You can only imagine the scene. While making my way through the isle I walked in front of a man who was looking at a mouse or something. He proceeded to throw a tantrum at the very idea that someone would block his field of view on one of the busiest shopping days of the year and stormed off. It reminded me of my 4 year old son. Deal with it politely or walk away. Sometimes I think computers have made us lose our way in dealing with social situations and reduced emotional IQ to the point of ramblings and rants.

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »

To answer the specific question, most of the "last showings" of the day start around 10pm, so that's usually the cutoff.  If, for example, if I'm in a PG-13 or lower rated movie that starts before 10pm, I expect my movie going experience to be ruined by 1 of 3 groups of people: 1) People who don't respect the "buffer zone" (the 1 seat cushion in all 8 directions given to groups sitting together so they can enjoy the film in peace); 2) People with small children; 3) Teenagers.  If I don't want my movie going experience ruined, then I need to be selective about when and where I go to watch the movie in the first place.  I take the responsibility on myself to do that, and rightly so.

Erathor, the principle doesn't change if it is a person writing out a check at the checkout line in the store, or the person who speeds ahead and expects to be let in when the lane ends on the freeway, or the person ordering 4 drinks and texting in line at Starbucks, etc.  Its just easier (and more socially acceptable) to compromise those principles in select situations, which I must say you've done a masterful job of proving.
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

AngryBadger

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »

Personally, I like to know how you handled it at the Starbucks.  Thing is you made an assumption of 1 person = 1 drink.

I also see the blog as nothing but blowing off steam.  Like you said in your last blog "You are Nobody, and I can't do anything", so you know this blog is not going to make people think let's give all information to Octale, like wear a hat saying how many drinks I'm buying.  The blog is just yelling a screaming at the air, and maybe I cry for pity which I don't think so least not from Octale.  I personally Monolog my problems and frustrations, or I talk to my best friend.  However, Octale has a website and a podcast and is know for yelling out hate, so we should expect it and not rationalize it.

We live in a world of imperfect information. We must deal with it.  I'm betting Octale didn't tell the man in front of him to go f--k himself and his family I only need one drink get out of my way, and then grab a weapon and beat the man over and over.  He decided to calmly wait and get his drink then blog about it.

Personally, if I had 5 buggies of grosieries to feed my family of 21 and a man with 1 item comes up behind me and there is only one line one cause it's 3am, I'd tell them sucks to be you having to wait an hour for me, but I'll punch you in the face before you cut me.

As an after thought just to be saying there are 3 types of people over the age of 25 when it comes to kids.  1 the people who have kids, 2 people who do not like kids, and 3 Pedophiles.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:17:24 PM by AngryBadger »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4