VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here  (Read 6886 times)

Recta

• Friar
Re: Discuss "Hurry Up and Wait a Minute" Here
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »

I'm curious Octale, did you hear the guy buying coffee say something to the effect that his family is at home laying about?  Maybe my family is different but it wouldn't be uncommon for mom to be cleaning house along with my sisters and I would be outside doing yard work with my dad and during that time one of the family members went out and grabbed food or treats while the rest continued to work.  By only sending 1 person and letting the rest work we were able to get more done in a timely manner (the internal traffic of the house would flow).  IE we didn't waste 4 family member's time standing in line when we could be getting work done, but by your argument 4 people wasting their time isn't important. 

If the person was a coffee addict and was ordering them all for himself would you have felt any different? 

Daz

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

Very funny blog post.

I guess you could have walked away when you found out he had 4 brewing instead of waiting for 15 minutes or maybe just get it on your way out?

Erathor

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »

I'm wondering how you knew it was for his family and not just 3 friends. Does your hate for family and children tread so deep? Do you feel entitled to cut in line because you are only ordering one item? Those with families make sacrifices daily, in their careers, financially, time wise, and routinely for others beside themselves. You see these as excuses or laziness for some odd reason.

But let me be the first to apologize for 15 minutes of your very special time... and be sure to setup a Starbucks line just for you.

sacullien

• Monk
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »

I find one thing even more annoying when it comes to in store traffic flow and that's those who decide to just stop in the middle of the lane, even worse in supermarkets when they have trolleys that then block the whole thing off with no way around them and don't move even when asked politely ><

twitter.com/sacul
last.fm/user/saccullien

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

I'm curious Octale, did you hear the guy buying coffee say something to the effect that his family is at home laying about?
I didn't.  He was texting like mad on a Blackberry the whole time he was in the place.  That didn't help, naturally, since he couldn't finish his order without attempting to set the world speed texting record, twice.  So, maybe I should have written about people texting in line at the coffee store?

I'm wondering how you knew it was for his family and not just 3 friends. Does your hate for family and children tread so deep? Do you feel entitled to cut in line because you are only ordering one item? Those with families make sacrifices daily, in their careers, financially, time wise, and routinely for others beside themselves. You see these as excuses or laziness for some odd reason.

But let me be the first to apologize for 15 minutes of your very special time... and be sure to setup a Starbucks line just for you.
It's easy to surmise that 2 coffees and 2 small frappucinos were destined for wife and kids.  By the way, the drinks being destined for family is the best possible scenario.  If they were for co-workers, I'd be vastly more annoyed.

So desperate to play the part of the martyr.  So, I guess I should be punished for being responsible enough to keep my dick in my pants?  You know, maybe I'm just done with being punished for following the rules, be they fiscal, social, road, or otherwise.

Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Erathor

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »

Well when you are gone, all of your following the rules (whatever you think they are in your own little world) can go with you. This world is not dedicated to the individual and neither should it be. Hopefully this blog post was an attempt at being comical that went horribly wrong or you truly feel like your are being punished by society because some guy in front of you ordered 4 drinks for his family.

It is absolutely wrong to influence the crowd that listens to you into thinking that there is some kind of negative impact on individual freedoms when having a family. Adopting a policy of only keeping people around who don't "waste" your time is very childish and immature.

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:51 PM »

How in the hell did we go from "I hate people who make lines go slow," something everyone who's ever had to wait in line should be able to relate to, to "I hate people who have families"?

Does the guy in front of me have every legal and god-given right to buy four drinks? Yes. Do I have to like that it's taking forever before I get my drink made just because I happened to be behind that guy? Hell no.

Does the minivan in front of me at the drive-thru have the right to order a feast for six people? Does the person in front of me in the express lane have the right to bring 20 items instead of 12? Does the slow-moving bus or semi-truck have the right to use the same traffic lanes as me? Yes to all of the above.

Am I going to sigh because what I thought would be a quick trip is now taking a few extra minutes? Yup. Does this mean I suddenly hate them and everything they stand for? Of course not, and to think so is ridiculous.

Erathor

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »

So deal with it like an adult and move on... My goodness, you learn the concept of lines when you are like 4 years old.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »

Well when you are gone, all of your following the rules (whatever you think they are in your own little world) can go with you. This world is not dedicated to the individual and neither should it be. Hopefully this blog post was an attempt at being comical that went horribly wrong or you truly feel like your are being punished by society because some guy in front of you ordered 4 drinks for his family.

It is absolutely wrong to influence the crowd that listens to you into thinking that there is some kind of negative impact on individual freedoms when having a family. Adopting a policy of only keeping people around who don't "waste" your time is very childish and immature.

Well, I kind of agree that walking into an establishment that is known for taking a long time to produce your drinks and ordering four of them as one person is quite frankly annoying, I also think that Octale has taken this little thing and made it a huge "Society sucks cause I'm a big fish and I have to wait behind smaller fish" thing. I really can't tell whether this is a really elaborate troll, or a really degraded and childish rant about how the world doesn't revolve around him, or maybe it's because for the last four or five weeks OnHVTW hasn't had a really good topic to discuss due to the lapse of gaming news and releases that happens between August until November, but I really think this whole conversation is out of proportion and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »

Don't get me wrong similar things can frustrate me. Yesterday I was in a similar situation except buying a drink before catching a train, so I has to make a judgement call of can I get this before my train leaves.... the ass hat in front of me decides to go and count out EVERY BLOOMING PIECE OF CHANGE! Yes - it's frustrating, but I was constantly re-evaluating do I still have time to do this?

So what I wonder is, why, when you heard the person in front of you place his order, did you not either change line, or walk out?

Eid

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4