VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 38714 times)

Raktus

• Vassal
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »

Catch up to SW:TOR In less than an hour:

(1) Timeline

Watch the timeline as it depicts the events leading up to the stage at which TOR is set.

(2)
Deceived Cinematic Trailer

Watch it, you have to.

(3) Webcomic

For the further immersion into the story thats coming, episodes still incoming.

(4) Developer Walkthrough

And now you should be set.

Edrac

• Monk
  • Cin vhetin
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »

I think this is an MMO I'll be really interested in, but probably not sign up for a go until the initial furor has died down. I imagine class balance will start to even out over time also; since no matter how many people say "OMG bounty hunters are awesome" you know that at launch there'll be so many lightsabers waving around that the newbie areas will be lit like Vegas.

that's the beauty of Bioware's proposed story based leveling system... Since each class has a unique story that ties into the overall story of the game only the jedi/sith starting area's will be swamped with "teh lazerswordz"

So i don't expect to encounter too many people being all "zomg lightsaberz shwoom, shwoom" in my (probably very military centric) Republic Trooper newbie zone.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »

that's the beauty of Bioware's proposed story based leveling system... Since each class has a unique story that ties into the overall story of the game only the jedi/sith starting area's will be swamped with "teh lazerswordz"

So i don't expect to encounter too many people being all "zomg lightsaberz shwoom, shwoom" in my (probably very military centric) Republic Trooper newbie zone.
Don't count on it. Unless there are hard travel lockouts for quite some time into the newbie zones, it won't matter.

I don't know what it was like on other servers, but TBC day ONE saw Orgrimmar on my server chock full of naked female blood elves.

Seyfert

• Novice
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

True but there is one flaw in that argument :) Your comparing it to WOW. This is Bioware. They've never gone half assed on a game before...why start now? I'm sure they have looked at all of WOW to see what they can intergrate and what they can throw into the eternal fire. Like all MMO's, it will have it's balance issues and bugs at first, but hopefully it will turn out for the better. Now, only one questions remains...................................Sith or Republic? I can't choose!!!! :(

Raktus

• Vassal
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »

Starting Planets
Sith Inquisitor/Sith Warrior: Korriban
Imperial Agent/Bounty Hunter: Hutta
Smuggler/Trooper: Ord Mantell
Jedi Knight/Jedi Consular: Tython

Raktus

• Vassal
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »

BioWare writers are commenting a bit more often on the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forums lately. Writer Randy Begel added his observations to a thread discussing alignment decisions yesterday:

I agree wholeheartedly with intentions being the measure of moral alignment under normal circumstances, but incorporating it into a video game complicates matters greatly.

Since a game is finite we have to narrow down what would normally be a near infinite number of approaches to any given situation to only a few. Within these limits it’s our job to pick a range of options that gives the player enough diversity to role-play and we have to communicate as clearly as possible what those options are so the player isn’t unpleasantly surprised because a choice isn’t quite what they thought it would be. In that sense we have to assume that when the player selects an option they are doing so “in earnest,” playing at face value, because it’s impossible for a designer to know the player’s intention for selecting any given option.

The tricky part is trying to then add additional layers of intent onto the same choice. For example, if I accost the player with a group of thugs working for a local crimeboss, and those thugs indicate that the player can avoid an unpleasant demise if the player agrees to poison a close associate. A player might agree to the task only as lip service to get out of a fight, without ever intending to follow through on it. It’s up to me to either make it 100% clear that by choosing that option you fully intend to poison your friend, or I need to account for your deception and present other options later.

Because choices can be ambiguous it’s best to try and assign points on the alignment scale based on action rather than intent. In the above example, the player shouldn’t get darkside points until they reach the point of no return, in this case going through with the poisoning.

This obviously, doesn’t address everyone’s concerns, but I hope it’ll reassure everyone that we’re doing our best to avoid hanging you out to dry with a bad decision.

Manly_Stuff

• Monk
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »

It sounds interesting and all but I would have prefered a single player conclusion to the series.

Raktus

• Vassal
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »

A PC Gamer interview came out today that highlights what Bioware’s thoughts are when it comes to endgame:
We’re looking at classic [endgame] systems, but we’re also doing something brand new that hasn’t been done in an MMO before. So we’re going to mix those two together.”

Olhen then got hushed by the game’s product manager, but added that Bioware was keen for players to continue questing after hitting maximum.

“We want to make sure the endgame isn’t completely different to what you have been doing,” he said. “So there will be a natural progression… We want to make sure that when people play ToR they feel like they never run out of content… that it’s an epic story.”

Perhaps this quote hints at a possible intertwining between questing and endgame and/or it simply indicates that there will be plenty to do once a player is leveling. One thing is for sure though, this quote will only succeed in “wetting our appetites” about the future possibilities of endgame in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Related posts:
incgamers Interview with BioWare’s James Ohlen
http://darthhater.com/2009/11/18/incgamers-interview-with-biowares-james-ohlen/

More...
http://darthhater.com/2010/03/09/james-ohlen-on-endgame/

ZIkar

• Monk
  • Techmarine
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 11:43:04 PM »

I hope for a conclusive and immersive story and that's pretty much it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19