VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The "We" in Team??  (Read 1003 times)

Vandal

• Vassal
The "We" in Team??
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

So when Im discussing sports with my friends, which is often enough, I have started to pick up on a interesting little habit. When we would refer to our team winning or losing, instead of using the word "they lost" or "they won", we would often use "we won" or vice versa. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this. Should we refer to ourselves when speaking of sports teams from where we live or have been fans of for a long time? I personally say yes, but thats just my opinion. Theres just a nice ring when im referring the Red Sox as a "we destroyed the other team" :)))

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
Re: The "We" in Team??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:46:42 AM »

I agree with the use of "we" when referring to the team you support, and have always done so myself, if not consciously. It just goes to show the emotional investment you have in a team - when you go to their games/functions, buy memberships/merchandise, follow them closely in the media and online and celebrate every victory, you definitely feel like part of a big club, along with all your fellow barrackers, club officials, and the players themselves.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG