VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Snowstom Cometh?  (Read 4114 times)

Devout

• Friar
  • I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
    • Tankatronic.com
Re: A Snowstom Cometh?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »

Blizzard wants to have their cake and eat it too.

They're not going to get a "community" feel with 10 million subscribers.  Those days are long gone.  

Third-party sites thrive because they can manage their relatively small population.  Blizzard doesn't want to spend a fortune moderating their forums, so they've decided to effectively nuke them instead.  

It's a cheap move.  I don't give a rat's ass about anonymity online, but for others, it's a legitimate need.  

More to the point of the thread - that blog is just an example of an angry basement dweller with too much time on his hands.

Tavnazia

• Monk
  • Welcome, Chrono Trigger
    • WiFi Plotter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »

More to the point of the thread - that blog is just an example of an angry basement dweller with too much time on his hands.

He may have too mush time on his hands but his logic... or illogic... however you want to take it; is sound.

with (ice=new Ice('vanilla')) { stop();collaborate();listen() if (back) {invention=new Invention; grab(me, (tight = true));} }

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

He may have too mush time on his hands but his logic... or illogic... however you want to take it; is sound.

What logic? That you can find an employee of a large corporation by his name, the corporation he's employed at and the work he has done?

If thats the case then good job captain obvious.

Tavnazia

• Monk
  • Welcome, Chrono Trigger
    • WiFi Plotter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »

What logic? That you can find an employee of a large corporation by his name, the corporation he's employed at and the work he has done?

Indeed but the point about that was that no one cared about that information until it was dragged out where everyone could see it without having to do the detective work themselves.

with (ice=new Ice('vanilla')) { stop();collaborate();listen() if (back) {invention=new Invention; grab(me, (tight = true));} }

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »

Indeed but the point about that was that no one cared about that information until it was dragged out where everyone could see it without having to do the detective work themselves.

Does anyone actually care about that information? I sure dont. What is there to care about? Is everyone going to stalk the guy now suddenly or something?

Devout

• Friar
  • I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
    • Tankatronic.com
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Blizz just announced they were killing the real-name-on-forums feature.

Good on them.  Makes me wrong about a lot of the things I've said about them here and on other forums.  I'm OK with that.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Good on them.  Makes me wrong about a lot of the things I've said about them here and on other forums.  I'm OK with that.

That they had a backbone and that they didnt cave into paranoid whining?

Octale

• Lord of the Hateorade
  • Staff Member
  • Baron
  • This is the text that doesn't end. Yes it goes on
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »

That they were interested in real accessibility by bring relevant discourse to their forums, rather than having to piece it together from 100 fan sites?
Studio Manager
Production Manager
Destroyer of Populists

Natural20

• Baron
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »

But anonymity doesn't exist to protect people from reprisal for retarded comments.

It exists to protect people from trolls who would seek to use anything personal to invalidate the opinion of someone else. For example a guy named Muhammed is called a terrorist just because he happens to have a name associated with Islamic terror. Muhammed would have been a valuable poster but is rightfully hurt by the accusation against him and leaves.

One can claim that society is past this, but from personal experience I know it isn't. Further to that, even if Muhammed doesn't have this comment levelled against him, any person who reads his name is coloured by their opinion of what a "Muhammed" might be like and tacit racism certainly does exist within our society.

I believe the point of the site is an (albeit extreme) illustration of this.

Blizzard's attempt to make the community better is laudable. The implementation via the removal of anonymity is idiotic.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »

But anonymity doesn't exist to protect people from reprisal for retarded comments.

It exists to protect people from trolls who would seek to use anything personal to invalidate the opinion of someone else. For example a guy named Muhammed is called a terrorist just because he happens to have a name associated with Islamic terror. Muhammed would have been a valuable poster but is rightfully hurt by the accusation against him and leaves.

One can claim that society is past this, but from personal experience I know it isn't. Further to that, even if Muhammed doesn't have this comment levelled against him, any person who reads his name is coloured by their opinion of what a "Muhammed" might be like and tacit racism certainly does exist within our society.

I believe the point of the site is an (albeit extreme) illustration of this.

Blizzard's attempt to make the community better is laudable. The implementation via the removal of anonymity is idiotic.

You forgot the part where the troll is then openly shown as a racist with his real name beside his comment. Furthermore he's also banned from the forum for racism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3