VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: World Cup Fantasy Football  (Read 7509 times)

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
Re: World Cup Fantasy Football
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

I've got Lahm and Schweinsteiger on for Germany. They had best perform; I needs me some points! I've decided I'm going to ditch Messi as captain and change the captain every day until one of my picks puts in a decent performance...

EDIT
Wow, Australia are getting shredded... I can't watch the game right now, but live score updates aren't looking pretty for them. Lahm's having a cracker of a game though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:02:31 PM by Vaulisel »

Majeef

• Vassal
  • Hang 'em first, try 'em later.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »

Wow yea, no kidding! 4-0. I didn't watch it either, watched Serbia earlier then the F1 GP then settled down for O&H and CH. Lahm must have had a blinder, gonna watch the highlights tonight I think.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm really wishing I'd flagged Lahm for captain at this point, even though it's normally risky to set a defender as captain since their scores often depend heavily on getting the clean sheet bonus. Schweinsteiger did mediocre for me, so I'll be shuffling captains to Sneijder for the next set of games this round. Still got Robinho and David Villa as backup captains.  ;D

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »

Ugh. I can't believe Brazil conceded a goal to DPR Korea. At least my picks, Robinho and Maicon, put in a sterling performance anyway. Sneijder rather disappointed me though.

Majeef

• Vassal
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:10 AM »

Damn Vaulisel, You're starting to pull ahead now. I need Torres and Cassilas to work me some magic today.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 03:03:49 AM »

Yeah, but I burned my captaincy on Robinho (who did well, I feel), and am banking on Torres not starting due to his recent injury and staying off for a minimum of 30 minutes to let my last striker, David Villa act as the main finisher for Spain. I have Casillas on the bench, but since I got a clean sheet on Eduardo, I'll probably leave him there since Switzerland could well score.

If Torres (he was your captain, yeah?) starts/goes in early and has a decent game, you'll sweep up the lead no problem, since frankly I wouldn't bet on Casillas conceding and losing you your clean sheet.

Majeef

• Vassal
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:04 AM »

Yeah, got Torres as Cap - am regretting not swapping captaincy between earlier players though, didn't figure out I could do that until too late.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 03:17:23 AM »

Started setting up my Second Round team now; decided to ditch Malouda since he only got 15 minutes last round, and shift to a 4-3-3. Brought in Montolivo to replace the Frenchman, since I reckon he's pretty much a guaranteed starter until Pirlo recovers, and since I know just how terrible my country really is at football, Italians seem like a good bet to me for this round.

I think I'll give my Argentinians one more round and see if they can adapt to Mr. I-must-have-learned-football-tactics-on-the-Playstation Maradona's idiotic 3-1-6 shenanigans. They're quality players, it's just the "tactics" that are holding them back...

Majeef

• Vassal
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 03:31:56 AM »

lol @ Maradonna comment - I can't complain, did alright for me  ;D

Going 4-3-3 seems like a sound plan, seems the way the points are awarded maybe doesn't favour midfield too strongly, or, at least mine haven't brought home points like my defence.

On a side note - Pym! Did you pick all Australians?  :P Don't forget, if your guys didn't play or do well you can sub them out the next day before the first game for someone that hasn't played yet.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 03:46:25 AM »

You're right, the Argentinians certainly did well for you. Thing is, with Maradona at the helm, they aren't dependable. I'm not a huge football fanatic, but even I know that there are generally TWO wing positions on a team. Maradona put on FOUR wingers. I had Di Maria and Messi. Both of them got assigned the position of left wing, I believe. Similar situation on the right. I can only imagine the reaction in the dressing room. If you have two people trying to work the same position, they'll be competing for chances and their performances will fall. In my case, since Messi was doing well, Di Maria was held back. And neither of them played to their potential.

For a related reason I decided not to transfer Di Maria out yet in favour of Mascherano. So long as Maradona favours  4-2-4 going to 4-1-5 or 3-1-6 in the second half, Mascherano has to work the midfield solo. Poor bloke must have had to run for dear life for the whole game without a break. This means he'll get tons of chances to rack up attack and defence bonuses, but it also stamps an expiry date on his performance, since it will deteriorate more rapidly with every game as his moron coach overtaxes him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5