VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What are some good Anime series/movies that anime fans should check out???  (Read 22928 times)

Pids

• Novice

I personaly like the animes

Fullmetal Alchemist
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Gost In The Shell movies and Series
berserk
Ninja Scroll

but im constantly on the look out for new anime and was just wondering wat are some of your favorites???
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:53:18 AM by Pids »
We aren't men disguised as dogs. We're wolves disguised as men - Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade

KingMushPunch

• Friar
Re: What are some good Anime series/movies that anime fans should check out???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »

I don't watch a lot of anime but i did just rewatch Gundam Wing and that show is sweet, it has some really strong characters. anyone that grew up with Toonami has most likely already seen Gundam Wing but if you haven't i think its worth it and if you have and its been a long time i think it is worth the rewatch. I believe Demonoid has the full seasons, if you are into that.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »

If you like child anime series, I recently checked out Hikaru no Go, and I haven't regretted it. The characters aren't nearly as annoying as I thought they would be, and it is actually a really good tool to learn the basics of the game Go too.

Also, if you like anime's that have a story, but have all of that snarky and hilarious Japanese humor and fanfare, check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star. Be warned, the fan service level is over 9000.

Check out Paranoia Agent, Blood Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo(n?), Fooly Cooly, and Rurouni Kenshin. You won't be sorry, because all of these anime's have great action, story, and not to mention great quality, in the level of Ghost in the Shell and Fullmetal Alchemist.

And while you're saturated with those, don't mind me while I heat you up and cool you slowly so I can supersaturate you by telling you to also go check out Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The plot has several different elements. It's like a "what if?" story containing more involvment from the surrounding nations while the events of FMA are going on. Give it a try if you have time!

Pids

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »

cheers Ebion  and KingMushPunch, will defently check those out. I've heard a fair bit about cowboy bebop and have been watching Fma: Brotherhood on Madman . com which has been great :P

ill have to check out gundam wing while im on holidays from work
We aren't men disguised as dogs. We're wolves disguised as men - Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade

KingMushPunch

• Friar
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »

I Second a lot of the shows Ebion listed I am a big fan of Samurai Champloo, and Fooly Cooly though.

Aurasoma

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

FUNimation maintains a number of anime on YouTube if you want to brows some of their shows. Some titles like Slayers and Full Metal Panic! are on level with a few of the shows you listed. They also have a numbe of the sub videos of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is set to start playing this weekend on Cartoon Network.

Thrace

• Friar
  • Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

I have a related (noob) question to you Anime connoisseurs - I'm not really well versed in Anime, but every couple of years, I get an inexplicable urge to watch some and/or buy Anime-based videogames.

I especially like series/games that are in some way dealing with mechs - I liked Escaflowne, obviously, Zone of the Enders, heck, even Candidate for Goddess (somehow I feel I should be blushing now).

As I seem to enter another Anime indulgence phase, I'd appreciate any recommendations you guys could come up with ;)

I've heard alot of good things about Gundam, but I'm unsure where to start getting into that.

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »

If you like Mechs, humor, and war stories, check out Full Metal Panic!

However, if you'd like to get your mech cravings quenched with Gundam, I'd start with these.

1. Gundam Wing- TV series
2. Mobile Suit Gundam- TV series
3. Gundam X- TV series
4. Gundam 8 MS Team- OVA
5- Char's Counterattack- Movie
6- Gundam 00 (first Season)- TV series
7- Endless Waltz- OVA
8- 0083: Stardust Memory- OVA
9- G Gundam- TV series
10- Gundam F91- Movie

Those will definitely keep you saturated for at least a month or two, depending on how hard you binge on them. I never personally found Gundam amazingly great, but that's because I never found Mech combat all that great in itself. And the ten OVA's, movies, and Series I listed were the only ones from the Gundam franchise I liked.

Auraya

• Novice
  • Damn those polarbears
    • Nakiame
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »

My list of must watch anime:

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Gundam at it's finest imo.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - A really, really nice mecha with a moderate amount of combat aswell as some conspiracy, twists and mystery.

Full Metal Alchemist - if you havn't seen it, do.

Elfen Lied - Same as above, 12 episodes of daaaaaaamn...

True Tears - Anime drama, prob my favorite anime of all times and if you're a sucker for lovestories, it's a no-brainer. With only 13 episodes I deff. think you should atleast try it out.

Toradora! - Light, cute, funny and still engaging. I you like Japanese school series, watch it.
"I can't stand all this sand. I wish I had some fireworks"

ZIkar

• Monk
  • Techmarine
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:08 AM »

Btw  FMA Brotherhood actually follows the true story of the manga whereas the FMA original is just a tv adaption GONE WRONG
All right I see a few problems here and I apologize for what I am going say before hand..

Most people suffer preconception of good anime by what they've seen brought over to the west, which most Otakus consider to be crap. Evangelion for example is only famous in Japan cause it was one of the first anime made into a pachinko machine.

First watch shows subbed not dubbed, dubbers cut out a lot of plot and character personalities

FMA original- Is total and complete crap anyone who watched and enjoyed that is sad. Its just crap. Brotherhood is  a much better show.
Naruto - Crap
Bleach- DBZ with dead ppl...so still DBZ

Auraya is correct in mostly everything else.

Ebion is correct I'll throw in some Robotech/macross cause it still stands up and is the godfather of good storytelling in anime.

Ergo proxy- good
Bakemontagari - best characters in any anime
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai- very adult oriented- murder mystery
Pumpkin scissors
K-on
Nyan Koi!
Eureka Seven- meh
X'amd Lost memories
Tsubasa chronicles
One Piece
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu- currently airing

if ya give me specific parameters i can give u a better list