VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why is football (soccer) so popular?  (Read 1097 times)

vankrys

• Novice
Why is football (soccer) so popular?
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:36:05 AM »

The world cup is starting in 2 weeks now
in 2006, the cumulative audience of all matches of the 2006 World Cup is estimated to be 26.29 billion. 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet).
No other sport can federate people around the world like this, from all the walk of life, religion, ethnicities. They don't speak the same language but they speak soccer, they understand each other.

What make soccer such a strong unifying driving force, what make its popularity?

it has not be imposed by the most influential country (the US), but rather comme from everywhere from the poorest of the poorest country, to the rich industrilized (mainly european)
If i have to venture to an explanation, i would emphasize the non stop game flow (american football has many halt between action phase, it cut the flow)
also the small requirement in equipement, all you need is a ball, and 20 kids play for hours. Draw the goal with jacket and your set.
Sport accessible for all social classe, a game mechanics studied to make it quasi non stop action, and just enough technicallity and strategy to give enough depth without sinking in it.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:04:08 AM by vankrys »

Majeef

• Vassal
  • Hang 'em first, try 'em later.
Re: Why is football (soccer) so popular?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

Yup, all the points you made make sense to me. I guess the major influence in it becoming so popular and maintaining it, is that you can play it anywhere, you don't need a field or a ref or even teams. It's also a sport you can have fun practicing alone, I remember going to the park after school as a child, the first thing to take with you is a football, unless it's the middle of the rugby season or something and you're on the band wagon.