VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: World Cup  (Read 7255 times)

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
Re: World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »

All I can say about Italy is they played atrociously, and I think far below their squad's ability. The moment Pirlo was put on, this started to come together again, but it was all too little too late. If they'd maintained the performance they put on in the last quarter or so of the match all game, they'd have demolished Slovakia.

Frankly, I'm still reeling in astonishment that New Zealand didn't lose a game, even if they didn't win any either or qualify for the knockout stage.

TheGunner

• Monk
    • The Gunner aka Kris Gunn's facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 06:06:27 AM »

All I can say about Italy is they played atrociously, and I think far below their squad's ability. The moment Pirlo was put on, this started to come together again, but it was all too little too late. If they'd maintained the performance they put on in the last quarter or so of the match all game, they'd have demolished Slovakia.

Frankly, I'm still reeling in astonishment that New Zealand didn't lose a game, even if they didn't win any either or qualify for the knockout stage.

Agreed, when Pirlo did come on, he chanced the game, but it was far too late. If he'd had played from the start, based on the last 15 mins, Italy would have qualified. What I find quite surprising about Italy this year, defensively Italy were pretty poor. Losing Buffon was a major loss, but Cannavro and Cheillni, looked pretty shaky.

Also I feel Italy lacked that creative spark in midfield. In 2006, they have Totti who had the ability to chance a game like that, but this year they didn't have anyone who can do that.

As for New Zealand, they should be so proud of themselves. They played well, didnt lose a game and were unlucky not to qualify. In the game against Italy, I feel they should have won the game.
The Gunner

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 01:14:09 AM »

Agreed, when Pirlo did come on, he chanced the game, but it was far too late. If he'd had played from the start, based on the last 15 mins, Italy would have qualified. What I find quite surprising about Italy this year, defensively Italy were pretty poor. Losing Buffon was a major loss, but Cannavro and Cheillni, looked pretty shaky.

Also I feel Italy lacked that creative spark in midfield. In 2006, they have Totti who had the ability to chance a game like that, but this year they didn't have anyone who can do that.
My flatmate is a big lifelong Italy supporter, and he said that aside from Totti there were two other big names (which escape me at the moment) that Lippi could have taken to add that much-needed creativity, but one of them once got in a brawl with Lippi's son and he made it personal, and the other testified against Lippi in the Calciopoli trials. So basically the team selection was screwed by manager pig-headedness.

Mardoc

• Novice
  • The Doc is in...
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »

My flatmate is a big lifelong Italy supporter, and he said that aside from Totti there were two other big names (which escape me at the moment) that Lippi could have taken to add that much-needed creativity, but one of them once got in a brawl with Lippi's son and he made it personal, and the other testified against Lippi in the Calciopoli trials. So basically the team selection was screwed by manager pig-headedness.

Ooooh, now, I think that might be a little harsh on Lippi, there. Sure, he failed, and he let personal issues get in the way of professionalism. BUT if he cannot find it within himself to work with these people then he shouldn't have to. Just as Wayne Bridge retired from international football when the whole John Terry affair scandal came to light.

If you're walking into a dressing room and there's a bloke who beat up your son, and another bloke who testified against you in a court of law, could you honestly put all that aside so easily? Could you perform as a professional unit? Would you command his respect as a manager? Could you trust him, and would he trust you?

I think to put it all down to Lippi's pig-headedness isn't fair on the guy.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

You're probably right, but coupled with his failure to include Totti or Balotelli either, I think that his decisions were not in his team's best interests, and he should rather have striven to put professionalism and performance ahead of his personal pride. He selected a critically flawed team and led it to one of the worst world cup defeats in Italian history.

TheGunner

• Monk
    • The Gunner aka Kris Gunn's facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

You're probably right, but coupled with his failure to include Totti or Balotelli either, I think that his decisions were not in his team's best interests, and he should rather have striven to put professionalism and performance ahead of his personal pride. He selected a critically flawed team and led it to one of the worst world cup defeats in Italian history.

I really dont think we are being harsh on Lippi. He is rightly deserving the criticism he is getting. The man let personal issues get the better of him, which put his team at a disadvantage and ultimately cost them their place at the World Cup.

I just want to quote Lorenzo Amoruso, former Glasgow Rangers and Italy defender. This is taken from today's Daily Record newspaper in Scotland. He is very critical of the team, and Lippi's selection He says:

"Lippi is the man responsible for the disaster. He has been very arrogant. He left at home 5 or 6 players who are better than the ones he took !"
The Gunner

Mardoc

• Novice
  • The Doc is in...
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »

He's certainly deserving of some criticism, just as Capello is for England's failings. But at the end of the day, he took a squad that was chock-full of quality players, and left some behind that he would find difficult to manage and mould into a team due to personal reasons. The players he took still didn't perform when it mattered.

Perhaps he shouldn't have been in the job if that were the case, but that is the decision of the Italian FA, and not Mr Lippi himself. And whilst the man must still shoulder some of the responsibility, I find it harsh to blame him for refusing to take players he felt he could not work with.

Instead, blame him for bad tactical decisions, bad player motivation, under performance, refusing to shake the other coach's hand, and a host of other reasons. But the man had a job to do, and he left behind players whom he could not manage. This is not the sign of poor management, it is the sign of someone who cares about team unity, and that is no bad thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]