VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45

Author Topic: VTW Suggestions  (Read 74310 times)

TheWanderingBard

• Baron
  • Depressingly Accurate
Re: VTW Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »

A system for rating posts and their authors based on quality and relevance could be helpful, and would negate any impression that the board titles reward bland quantitative posting (seeing as they are currently based on total post count). This would hopefully cut down on spammy, non-value-added or repetitive posts and make the well-thought-out posters easier to find. This sort of feature already exists on many, many boards, so hopefully it isn't hard to implement, however like on those boards you'd have to hope that the community was mature enough not to start whoring themselves out for positive feedback.

202. My character descriptions cannot contain more than one of the following words: Slavic, Tonedeaf, Karaoke, Musician.
2125 things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed in an RPG

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »

A system for rating posts and their authors based on quality and relevance could be helpful, and would negate any impression that the board titles reward bland quantitative posting (seeing as they are currently based on total post count). This would hopefully cut down on spammy, non-value-added or repetitive posts and make the well-thought-out posters easier to find. This sort of feature already exists on many, many boards, so hopefully it isn't hard to implement, however like on those boards you'd have to hope that the community was mature enough not to start whoring themselves out for positive feedback.

I agree completely. I suggested this aswell near the start of VTW, we do currently see alot of spammy comments that are one worded or just contain a link without any explanation or their thoughts on the topic. This used to exist on the old WCradio forums.

And yes I am aware of the irony of my post count while typing this. But I do post quality messages, and if other people didn't think so I wouldn't be a forum champion ;)

I'd give your post +1 Karma. =)

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »

Also, perhaps in the future we could see some more forum features such as small forum achievements complementing people for being active and helpful, but of course the latter would also require a feature that allowed users to flag posts as helpful.

I know vBulletin has support (or at least the capability of) awards and there are a few forums I go to with reputation systems, so it's possible. I don't know much about Simple Machines, however, so it could be unreasonable for its software depending on how much the staff can/is allowed to modify the code. I do think that reputations is good and awards are neat (I really enjoyed them on Alturas).

Vandal

• Vassal
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »

This could also force people to create topics that are worth talking about. Hell I am all for this though. Punish the spammers, reward the educated.

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »

I like the idea, question is does this forum allow that kind of system and does said webmaster have the knowledge to do so.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 06:19:45 AM »

What area will this improve? Forums
Suggestion Idea: A Sciences Thread

This could contain philosophical, computing, biological etc talks, latest news, discussions, for example one topic could be

"Synthetic Cells"

http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_unveils_synthetic_life.html

=)

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »

What area will this improve? Forums
Suggestion Idea: A Sciences Thread

This could contain philosophical, computing, biological etc talks, latest news, discussions, for example one topic could be

"Synthetic Cells"

http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_unveils_synthetic_life.html

=)

I would enjoy a topic like this but you really have to be careful when you start to bring these kind of topics into a gaming community. I have seen this stuff turn into a "my religion is right" debate, or some stupid political nerdraging flame war.

Again i would love a topic like this mainly because i like to hear were people come from and what their thought processes is.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:24 AM »

Yes I agree Baz, it will need to be heavily moderated. And a science thread doesn't necessarily need to include religion or politics. If we wanted to include these things, a "Serious Stuff" thread would be better suited.

I would also enjoy a board like that, it would be very interesting to keep up to date with the latest developments on vaccines and general science.

Midnight

• Vassal
  • Midnight at the Movies
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 06:53:45 AM »

How about a travel section? Since we cover the planet, it seems like a cool idea to tell each other the ins and outs of our areas. What to see, what to avoid, where the locals eat, etc.

Such as 'Hey Gohex....we want to come to Scotland, so what should we see and avoid?" and yes that is a serious question. LOL
Host of Midnight at the Movies
MidnightAtTheMovies@gmail.com
MidnightVTW on Twitter

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 07:49:35 AM »

Great idea! That would be good. Talk of the best cities, best markets, most photogenic areas =)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45