VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: VTW Suggestions  (Read 70589 times)

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
VTW Suggestions
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

Hey guys,

This thread is dedicated to you putting forward ideas for the site, the community, the forums, the blogs, the podcasts etc.

Please include which part of the site you are speaking about, in a format like this:

What area will this improve? Main Webpage
Suggestion Idea: A countdown till next show time.

Suggestions Within This Thread Implemented So Far:

P.B.P. Board, moderated by TheWanderingBard

Gamer Identifications Thread

Unique VTW Banners, created by users of the forums / site in general. http://www.vtwproductions.com/about-vtw/

Child board notification badge changed.

Update "About VTW" Tab

Welcome Board - a "Hello" thread has been created.

Child boards for Raiding & Casual side of Casually Hordecore.

Time till next live show in forums and main site.

Alphabetized boards within forums.

Alpha Geek Radio board created.

Fixed signature writing box.

Deleted trolly posts within this thread.

Forum Advertisement - On podcasts, front page, IRC, the forums need to be advertised to encourage participation, which would in turn improve forums for current members, and be enjoyable for new members.

Sciences Board - Science & Academics board created for posters over 100+.

Suggestions Currently Under Consideration

Forum Time - Could be synchronized to a worldwide time such as army time, or all work in GMT etc.

Health & Fitness board.

Website Advertisement - For the podcasts, blogs, website as a whole. Paying for ads is possible (googleads?), but would require more donations. Telling your friends and encouraging them seems cheaper. Please do this guys. Clan tags also helpful, e.g. "VTW" in your name in games, to encourage people to ask. Advert graphics are here: http://www.vtwproductions.com/about-vtw/

Main page - continued the theme with similar dividers between the posts in the main middle part.

Unlikely to be implemented

Spam Board - Post Count would not be recorded, and people could post anything they want. This is basically a no, seems a bit unnecessary, better if people just didn't post pointless stuff.

Starcraft II Board / Game Specific Child Boards - denied, would be too spammy for every currently popular game, and child boards might discourage people to take part. Boards would also get old as the games age.

Forum Member Column Shortened - That bit to the left of the posts, where your name is, should be shortened width wise; it has alot of girth.

EpisodeBot having his own board to post in.

Travel Board, to arrange VTW member meetups and to recommend holidays etc A thread per meetup or a thread per person going on holiday and asking for tips under general might be more appropriate, wouldn't be used often enough. Still under consideration though.

Beta Test Board - For talking about latest games about to be released, such as SCII at the moment. Video game discussion is for BETA and released games.

Front Page Appearances - People who are active and helpful on the site go on the front page as a reward, and to encourage others to help out. Doubtful, people who deserve recognition tend to be given shoutouts on the shows.

Karma system rewards - Was attempted, and failed due to drama llama.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:43:42 PM by GoheX »

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
Re: VTW Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

-Forum page improvment idea-

Starcraft 2 is soon to be a very big deal again(it kinda alrdy is) I think we need a starcraft only page, that way we can post player names as a sticky, post shoutcraft videos, and general Starcraft questions, videos, ect.... It would cut down on the amount of posts you have to scroll threw and further grow out community. 

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »

-Forum page improvment idea-

Starcraft 2 is soon to be a very big deal again(it kinda alrdy is) I think we need a starcraft only page, that way we can post player names as a sticky, post shoutcraft videos, and general Starcraft questions, videos, ect.... It would cut down on the amount of posts you have to scroll threw and further grow out community. 

This isn't really that good of an idea. Then there would need to be a BFBC2 forum and a CS:S forum and a LoL forum and a MW2 forum and...etc.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Baz, but I already put this forward a few weeks ago, but Octale swayed me to his thinking on the subject also:

My only concern is opening a bunch of game specific child boards to video game discussions when talk of the game is hot, that subsequently become ghost towns after release.

EDIT: Feriluce makes a good point. We posted about the same time there Fer :]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:29:14 AM by GoheX »

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »

He brings up a good point, but this is sc we are talking about. I know I will be heavy active on that part of the forms and I'm sure most of the sc player base would as well.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

You have two main points of your argument:

1)

"this is sc we are talking about"

As if we didn't already know that ;) Yes it is popular, which you were implying, but so is WoW. So is Eve. So is Runescape. And not every game that is popular should get a new thread. There would soon be tens of child boards.

2)

"I will be heavy active on that part of the forms and I'm sure most of the sc player base would as well."

Yes there are many threads about SCII just now, and I do think there is a valid argument for the SCII child forum, but it's not about whether it would be active or not, it's about if it would always be active (like most of the topics will be, e.g. video gaming will never die out on these forums) and it's also about the above point I made; that starting something like this would mean all popular games deserve their own boards.

=)

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »

Right, the thing is that I (and I imagine other people) wouldn't visit a child board. I don't much care for SC2 but I do read the threads in here and might contribute if I feel I should. If all the SC2 threads were sectioned off I'd never be inclined to view them. Activity might actually drop down as a result of moving them away. Now I wouldn't mind a "repository" type idea...

Improves: Video Game Discussion
Suggestion: Have a child board with heavily moderated threads that only are repositories of contact info, servers, accounts and whatnot. Sample threads would be like "SC2 Usernames," "TF2 Servers," "XBL Gamertags" etc. The threads would be open, but after the information would be added to the original post, the other post would be deleted.

John

• That -1 Guy.
  • Baron
  • The -1
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »

An Idea would be to put in stickied threads on each of the show boards with information for that show.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »

Nice suggestions, both of you, thanks. Keep 'em coming =)

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »

At the top of the forums page, there is a Versus The World clickable(Likely a well blended banner), and this is all well and good, but perhaps we could get some collaborations with the talented artists of the community and have them create a unique VTW Banner for the forum page.

Also, perhaps in the future we could see some more forum features such as small forum achievements complementing people for being active and helpful, but of course the latter would also require a feature that allowed users to flag posts as helpful. I dunno, it might sound like too much work and a dumb idea, but I'm just throwing it out their.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45