VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Special No Excuses Show for the weekend of Novemeber 5th  (Read 873 times)

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
Special No Excuses Show for the weekend of Novemeber 5th
« on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »

So with fern gone, we are going to try to do something a bit different this week. Vaulisel and myself are going to attempt to release some kind of special (probably in video format and including WoW in some way). If we can't get this to take off, we'll simply do a 2 man show (podcast only). As it'll take a bit longer than normal to edit if we do, expect it to come out sometime late next week.

Tabaxion

• Baron
    • Indeed Podcast
Re: Special No Excuses Show for the weekend of Novemeber 5th
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »

how did it go?
Tabaxion

Show Co-Host and all around good guy

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

Currently this episode of No Excuses is available ONLY on YouTube.
Episode Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8B_b9eh7c

Doing MMO group content that recommends five or more people with only Vaulisel and myself is an activity that we do for fun every once in awhile (Presumably because we're masochists and/or hate ourselves). Since this is all we could really think to do, we decided on was recording a normal show while simultaneously recording us two-manning WoW's five-man dungeons. How did it go? Well... it wasn't our best show to say the least.

In my opinion, our first foray into doing two things at once did not end well. The episode wasn't bad enough to cut, and certainly isn't anywhere close to our worst show ever, but neither of us were particularly happy with how "No Excuses Episode 254" turned out. We had clearly NOT practiced multitasking over such a long period of time before, and it showed. We dove headfirst into this and found ourselves fumbling around quite a bit. Here are the problems I found, WHILE we were recording it.
(Yes, I am aware that we could have fixed most of these problems if we had shut up during the boring parts and cut them, but we didn't think to do that.)

The Video (WoW Gameplay):
The episode started off rough when we chose to begin the by attempting Heroic Violet Hold. After the first pull we realized it would be impossible with two people, so we decided to switch to Heroic Maw of Souls. After some boring footage of us setting up and flying to the new dungeon we finally got going.

Things were going very well for awhile, but after a long and painful wipe on the second boss, we decided that we needed to lower the dungeon difficulty from Heroic to Normal. However, in order to switch the difficulty level we needed to leave the dungeon. Unfortunately, thanks to Blizzard's wonderful dungeon design, the only way to leave Maw of Souls is with a teleportation item. The closest point we could teleport to was a good 5 minutes away from the dungeon, thus forcing us to waste time by flying back to the dungeon. To further compound the problem, WoW does not save progress across a dungeons different difficulty levels, so we were forced to restart the dungeon from the very beginning. This means that anyone who is watching the episode from start to finish, will first have to suffer through the boring footage of us flying back to the dungeon, and then endure watching Vaulisel and Myself clear a more boring version of the same content they just finished watching.

Thankfully, the rest of the run went fairly smoothly. The second boss that had been to much for before fell over easily on normal, and we managed to get to Helya (the final boss) without any issues. After about 3 or 4 attempts we managed to kill her, thus successfully clearing Normal Maw of Souls with only two people.

The Audio (The Show):
Oh dear... this was a mess. The most glaring issue with the show, was how often it was interrupted by stuff happening to us in the game. We had a very hard time focusing on our talking points during difficult trash pulls or some bosses. This lack of focus lead to a lot of dead air patches from start to finish. The worst examples of dead air include us going "Oh wait we need to focus on (X) for a sec" or interrupting the show's content flow to say "we need to (X)".

The absolute worst thing about this episode though, is how we did not sync up the end of the show with the end of the dungeon. Even stalling for time, we wound up finishing the show right before we started attempting the final boss. We left the boss attempts and our eventual kill tacked on the end of the video, but the actual show ends about 30-45ish minutes before the video does.

Why We Dun Goofed:
We underestimated how difficult it would be to two-man a heroic level five-man dungeon AND do a show at the same time. Normally those number we saw in heroic would not be a big deal. If we had been completely focused only on wow and seriously wanted to, we could have done both heroic dungeons we abandoned. However, do to how much time it would take and our lack of practice multitasking we decided to switch dungeons and difficulty levels.

However! Do not fret. Vaulisel and Myself made a second attempt at this style of video-content a few days ago, and it went MUCH better. We choose to record a special episode about our thoughts on the USA's recent election season, and omehow we managed to make two-manning the WoW dungeons Halls of Valor and Blackrook Hold on normal difficulty look like a joke. We must have learned from the failures of last show, because almost none of them are present in this special. Not only did we clear the dungeons almost flawlessly, but we were simultaneously able to read our show notes (Which, for both of us, were located on a separate screen.), stay on topic, cleanly transition between talking points, and avoid dead air. Hell, the only noticeable instances of downtime during the episode are a brief two minute lag spike early on in halls of valor, and the time it takes us to travel to Black Rook Hold. We did not expect it to go as well as it die.

As a notice about this special, for the moment, it's more of an Ari and Vaul thing than a No Excuses thing. Due to my political alignment being slightly conservative and very Libertarian/Anti-Authoritarian*, and Vaulisel being extremely conservative. We don't want what we're sure will be unpopular views to reflect on our normal show (Even if they do leak in once every once in awhile). The entire reason we did this special was to get politics out of our system so we can just point people somewhere instead of talking about them during the live show. So listen at your own risk.
e haven't finalized how we're gonna label it yet, but it's certainly not considered part of the main show feed (even as a special) and will only ever be available as a YouTube video special.
This special is not finished being edited yet.

* NOT THE POLITICAL PARTY OF THE SAME NAME!

Post script:
I need to stop writing forum posts when my obsession with word choice kicks in. I'm just going to push the post button before it gets worse and this becomes and even bigger essay. The general idea of the post should be in there... somewhere. If i go back and check for sentence structure or grammar errors i'll start obsessing over fixing them. So... good luck.

TLDR: Episode link at the top, episode went pretty bad, second attempt at same episode format during an unreleased political special went way better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:59:43 PM by Aristile »

Docdead

• Owner
  • Baron
    • Show X
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »

Great job branching out into new things! Great to see. Definitely looking forward to more of it.

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »

Political Special Episode Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrpdAhq2Ws&t=7s