VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ridley in Smash  (Read 1563 times)

Tom Badguy

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
  • The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Ridley in Smash
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »

On No Excuses ep 173 there is a debate on how Ridley could or could not be a Smash character. My argument on Ridley not working would be that his gimmick isn't size, that's more of Kraid, but his gimmick and strength is that he can fly. He's not a ground based character, and if I recall, all characters ported to smash start on the ground and have ground moves, etc.

If Ridley is put in an just doesn't fly 100% of the time, I don't know what the purpose would be.
Listen to new episodes of Tales Of Relevant Thought every Sunday at 7PM EST/5PM MST!

Tabaxion

• Baron
    • Indeed Podcast
Re: Ridley in Smash
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »

Well put.   

Granted I think Banjo Kazooie or get the Ghost from Pac Man in there as a team.

-Tab-
Tabaxion

Show Co-Host and all around good guy

Tom Badguy

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:22 AM »

Well put.   

Granted I think Banjo Kazooie or get the Ghost from Pac Man in there as a team.

-Tab-

I think the big rumor going around is it is going to be Ryu and someone named Roy, at least that's what Maximillian says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndmKTF-H6g
Listen to new episodes of Tales Of Relevant Thought every Sunday at 7PM EST/5PM MST!

Fernurion

• Baron
  • Hipster Frog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »

THANK YOU! That was the point I was trying to get across about Ridley. Most of his moves involve long, flying sweeps, covering the entire arena in one swoop or attacking from the background. A modder (Ok, It's a mod for Project M, which is a mod for Brawl. Modception) has actually proven that Ridley can me moddeled for smash, he just needs his wings shrunk a bit but it's his moveset that causes issues.

Aeyup.

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »

I think the big rumor going around is it is going to be Ryu and someone named Roy, at least that's what Maximillian says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndmKTF-H6g
Max is right about his fighting game speculations 9 times out of 10. Given that he has worked with Capcom in the past, and he still has many connections there. I'd say that he's got good reason to say Ryu might be coming.

THANK YOU! That was the point I was trying to get across about Ridley. Most of his moves involve long, flying sweeps, covering the entire arena in one swoop or attacking from the background. A modder (Ok, It's a mod for Project M, which is a mod for Brawl. Modception) has actually proven that Ridley can me moddeled for smash, he just needs his wings shrunk a bit but it's his moveset that causes issues.

That mod is a horrible example. Ridley in that mod is ridiculously overpowered as most custom characters are that are added in Project M by fans. His move set there keeps him moving, and keeps him safe behind his hurtbox from just about anything that doesn't have invincibility frames.

Project M itself is great though, back when there were brawl tournaments it was considered the standard to be run instead of base brawl just because it removes tripping.

I get people wanting more Metriod characters, hell Metroid's my favorite first party Nintendo IP. The problem is there just aren't many good Metroid characters that would fit for Smash. Metroid games are about a feeling of isolation (barring other M). There just aren't any other characters to choose from. The only other named character that I can even think of is Adam, and he only appears in person in Other M. He also appears in (Spoiler for a 12+ year old game, highlight to read.) Metroid Fusion as his personality is implanted into Samus's new ship. Even then he has no moves we could really use in smash. So, unfortunately Ridley is the only thing even close to someone other than Samus that people clammer to.

I just don't see how his moveset could possibly be balanced for his nature as a character. If you implement him you'd have to make him a heavy. Down B for tail spike would be okay, Forward B only makes sense with his spinning charge which would give him way to much recovery in air on top of what we can assume his wings will already provide. Not to mention this would have to be an incredibly safe move because of it's nature. If you do make him an aerial character, his heavy nature would not allow easy up smash KO's due to gravity scaling being higher on him. Remember Smash does not have earth gravity and can be further influenced by holding a direction on the stick after being knocked airborne. Neutral B would most likely be fireballs of some kind. Up B would probably be yet another recovery move on a character that already would most likely have a lot of recovery options. The A's are easy with normal claw and tail swipes. For his final smash just give him a purple landmaster for all it matters, most final smashes don't make sense anyway (luigi). The issue here is you'd have to gimp the range he would have on everything and take a lot of the iconic impact away from the character.

The only problem I have with the issue of size is that it completely undermines the point of the character post classic Metroid on NES. Ridley's moveset as a boss is based on his size from super Metroid onwards. His claw swipes have a lot of impact, sometimes taking as much as 2 tanks of energy. His flight is dangerous because he can fly out of Samus's reach and come crashing in from off screen covering a huge surface area. His tail smash is dangerous because his tail is fast AND huge restricting Samus's movement. This isn't like Bowser where scaling him down is easy, because he's already a different size in every game.

Hell, Bowser sometimes changes size in games (Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario 64). He has plenty of moves to pull from his smaller incarnations. His butt slam comes from Super Mario 3, Fire breath from SMB NES and Paper mario, Claw swipe from Paper Mario, and Turtle spin from various games. The point is Bowser has never had a Consistent official size so it's easy to rescale him. This is not the case for Ridley.
Ridley has remained approximately the same size since Zero Mission retcons his original NES height that people like to point to a lot. The whole point of good ol' Rids is that he's a huge imposing figure Samus was even afraid of for awhile. She eventually gets over her fear by the events of Metroid Prime, and the prevailing fan theory for her shock at seeing Ridley in Other M is due to her having killed the dood 3(4 if you count Robo Ridley in Zero Mission) times already. Dragonz doesn't die when dey is killed in the Metroid universe.

At the end of the day though, I think the reason people want Ridley is because Metroid is under represented due to it's lack of available roster more than they want our favorite purple/grey dragon for himself. I'm perfectly happy with Ridley as a stage boss rather than a character. It suits him better.

Okay let's get to characters that SHOULD be in smash.
First let's talk about one both Fern and I want to see. Shantae, would be an excellent fit. She has a huge potential move set you can take so many different ways. You can give her multiple forms (a la Pokemon trainer) giving each transformation a unique move set and keep her base form based on the items and tools she gets in pirates curse. You can use each transformation as a special, along with her items such as her pistol to fill special slots. You could even save her transformations for her final smash (the best option IMO). Shantae has so many special moves to choose from it would be easy to grab a few. The roster needs more female characters, and what better way to smack the professional victims in the world than putting a strong girl who is very comfortable in how she looks and dresses. She even takes a huge jab at the crazies like Sarkeesian in pirates curse talking to a super macho hero she meets that brags about how his adventure is much better because he's a better role model than her because she has a bad temper and wears an "outlandish" outfit. This of course is despite him wearing a loincloth and being a hyper sexualized version of a male himself.

Second let's talk about Issac from Golden Sun. In favor of giving a Nintendo exclusive character some love, Issac may look like your typical sword wielding hero, but he's anything except normal. His sword would probably only be used for his A attacks. Issac's power lies in his ability to use Earth elemental Psynergy. He's like an earthbender from Avatar on crack. He controls plantlife, can cause earthquakes, and has the ability to move things with a massive white Psynergy hand (see his assist trophy in Brawl). He also has the power to Summon great beings of myth and legend as his ultimate trump card with the use of his Djinn. The character basically writes itself. The only issue I have with Issac is his appearance is kinda generic, and we already have several sword wielding heroes from fire emblem in game.

Wow that turned out much bigger than I thought it would. I'll check it for spelling and grammar later.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:04:26 PM by Aristile »

Tom Badguy

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:37:57 AM »

Did you guys vote on Nintendo's poll of what character you would want in the game? Doubt it would happen for any characters we want, but it was an interesting idea. I voted for Guile...*puts shades on*

Fernurion

• Baron
  • Hipster Frog
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »

Guile would be pretty awesome. I put in nominations for Shantae, Wonder Red and, for my off chance nomination, The Hunter (Monster Hunter)

Aeyup.

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »

Shantae got my vote.

Tom Badguy

• Staff Member
  • Vassal
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

Was Rygar ever in a Smash game? o.O