VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87

Author Topic: Video Links and Discussion  (Read 99508 times)

Grebog

• Baron
    • VTW MC
Re: Video Links and Discussion
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »

Since I enjoy watching the musical tesla coils so much, here is a more recent video and was at Makers Faire.
You can go to Make
or it is in youtube as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuV4fL4Yqvw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
The VTW minecraft server has been closed for now. If people become interested in having a VTW minecraft server again, I will gladly help set one up.
Old Maps can be found here(still adding them all): http://vtwmc.com/Files.php

Red Dog Dragon

• Baron
  • Pink Pony is Best Pony
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuV4fL4Yqvw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Epic.

Red Dog Dragon

• Baron
  • Pink Pony is Best Pony
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

(Embedding is disabled. :( )

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:57 AM »

http://blog.3rdeyeview.co.uk/biz/2010/05/28/the-secret-powers-of-time/ <--Secrets of Time.

Not a cool video but a very insightful one. May be slightly offensive to religious people but that's not my intention. This is very interesting for workers, for learners, for people in general.

Enjoy.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »

May be slightly offensive to religious people but that's not my intention.
As a devout Christian I couldn't find anything to be offended about. Although I was enjoying watching the drawing so much I might have missed it.

I can't fault anything the dude said, but nothing he said really struck a chord with me either. I don't know that human beings are really all that easy to pigeonhole by simple metrics like walking speed. After all, when I'm walking somewhere I walk very rapidly; people assume I'm in a great hurry when they see me, but that's my normal pace. However, when I'm not headed from place to place I'm very slothful, and will happily wile away hours on frivolous and unproductive things given half a chance.

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »

Vaulisel: The offensive part was when he stated Catholics may be less productive than Protestants. Once again his opinion, not mine.

I found it interesting. I think all human beings do spend more time wondering what their time could be spent better doing, than actually doing it. It was not inspirational, it did not make me want to leap up and search the world for the greatest achivements laid out on my path of life. It just made me wonder =)

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 11:01:37 AM »

Vaulisel: The offensive part was when he stated Catholics may be less productive than Protestants. Once again his opinion, not mine.
Oh, well, I sort of ignored that since it was a bit of a doctrinally iffy comparison to make, since one of the five core principles that are used to distinguish Protestantism from Catholicism is "Sola gratia", which basically means salvation is by grace independent of works or merit and works are done out of love for one's fellow man, and faithful works are core to salvation in Catholicism. Which is the reverse to what the speaker appeared to be implying.

Red Dog Dragon

• Baron
  • Pink Pony is Best Pony
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »

About the only thing I could complain about in that video is he implies that because of video games or computers kids don't like school or have a hard time getting involved.  Please, kids never liked school and if they're ever given the choice throughout history the majority would skip it.

It's the parents and school jobs to keep that kid going, punishing them when they do something like ditch school.  But now a days schools aren't allowed to effectively punish bad behavior, nor are a lot of parents allowed to (heaven forbid you spank a disobedient child!)

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »

http://blog.3rdeyeview.co.uk/biz/2010/05/28/the-secret-powers-of-time/ <--Secrets of Time.

Not a cool video but a very insightful one. May be slightly offensive to religious people but that's not my intention. This is very interesting for workers, for learners, for people in general.

Enjoy.

Very interesting video. One has to imagine that the part about Protestants and Catholics has some kind of research behind it; perhaps the speaker was wrong in the way he phrased it.

As for the part about video-games and the nature of the traditional classroom, I think the keyword here is "passive". An example; the vast majority of my friends don't watch TV and when it's come up in the past, the reason cite usually seems to be that it's just straight up boring to sit there. Life today is so geared towards interactivity that I think anything that just tries to spoon-feed someone information is going to be ineffective.

There was a recent show (I can't remember the exact details so don't take any of this as 100% solid fact) that demonstrated that the larger part of a persons life they grew up with access to the internet, the more prone they were to frequent multi-tasking. To use an example from my own life; I personally will only watch TV through the on-demand services available online. The reason for this is that while watching (and often just listening to) the show, I can be tabbed over, working in Photoshop, playing games or chatting with friends. The show provided an online test to study the user's comprehension and memory while multi-tasking and I can tell you that I for one scored high. For me, and I imagine a lot of people today, one concept/action/activity at a time is just not enough.

Personally I think it is the school system that needs to change to accommodate the difference in kids today and bring the way children are educated up-to-date with the way they actually think and interact.

I'll try and dig out the links if I can.

Bazeleel

• Novice
  • Welcome to the Internet
    • eSports by Bazeleel
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

He had some good points, I think the one that really stuck out to me was why people seem less and less willing to wait for anything. From a logic stand point that makes perfect logic :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87