- 3 (33.3%)
Teamspeak 3
- 2 (22.2%)
Mumble
- 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: February 17, 2014, 09:05:24 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Voice chat - Ventrilo vs Teamspeak vs Mumble  (Read 7588 times)

Docdead

• Owner
  • Baron
    • Show X
Voice chat - Ventrilo vs Teamspeak vs Mumble
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »

Hey everyone. As I am looking at updating where VtW is hosted and how the bills are paid here, I am looking at whether or not we should change the free server we use from Ventrilo to either Teamspeak or Mumble. I would love to have a good discussion on the benefits of each. I personally don't love the Vent software. I really like Teamspeak's interface, but then the more I read about Mumble, the better it keeps looking. So I am going to include a poll on here for everyone to vote on, I can switch our server with Typefrag any three of those ways, so I turn it over to all of you. I know that one of our groups is trying to start up a serious gaming guild within VtW and they want flexibility in the voice server and low latency. So, I keep that in mind.

Mumble:
http://www.mumble.com/get-mumble.php?OKEY=google_mum-mumble_mumble
Teamspeak:
http://www.teamspeak3.com/
Ventrilo:
http://www.ventrilo.com/

Docdead

• Owner
  • Baron
    • Show X
Re: Voice chat - Ventrilo vs Teamspeak vs Mumble
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Here is one link I found that discusses a comparison between Mumble and Vent - http://www.leetspeak.com.au/mumblevtsvvent.php
Granted they host mumble, so likely biased

Aristile

• Cuttest Kitten
  • Baron
  • VtW's Little Princess
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »

So, I voted to stay with Ventrilo simply because it's never been a problem for me at all in the 7 years I've used it. That said, I do not mind switching to mumble. The pro's and con's of both come down to features. There is virtually no difference in latency or quality between the two as far as your client of choice is concerned. That's 90% on the server you pay for. Mumble may sound ever so slightly better, but I've never noticed it. In some cases it has been worse or better than other vent servers.

Ventrilo rarely updates, so features and plug in's often have to be painfully and manually installed if you plan to use it more than a VOIP server (Like No Excuses used to). However, Vent is fairly user friendly and easy on the eyes.

Mumble updates every few months and is constantly adding features, but is slightly less user friendly in my experience. Some of the menus take awhile to get used to, and even then I find several of them just don't make any sense. I haven't used mumble in months, so it might look cleaner now.

Teamspeak I am adamantly against. I hear they're supposed to be okay now, but from problems with latency and quality in the past I cannot recommend it simply because of their history. I have nothing but bad experiences with all the Teamspeak servers I've used. They all historically have sounded terrible with atrocious lag especially across oceans.

That's all I got to say on the matter, if anyone else has more info to add. More posts are greatly appreciated.

Edit in regards to the article above:

This thing is very mumble biased, it does bring up some okay...ish points, but I want to point out some things they're spinning in a positive light that simply aren't a good thing, are just fluff, or they are simply lying about. Put simply, that "Article" is yellow journalism and should NOT be used as reference for anything.

Noise canceling - Mumble has this automatically and this is a very bad thing. Some microphones will double dip into this with no way to disable it (looking at you razer) causing you to sound like you're underwater. Some high quality Blue mics also have auto canceling, but thankfully my snowball has the option to kill this feature whenever I'm not recording.

Temporary Channels - These are and always will be useless, nobody in the history of ever has ever used these

User Groups - These are available in Ventrilo even though this article claims they aren't.

Administration - You do not need a web client for most of the things they mention you need one for in ventrilo.

Access Control - You have different levels of user groups in vent too that allow distribution of powers.

Volume Attenuation - Vent has volume normalization as a plug in, and if mumble has no way to disable this feature this will be a huge problem for those of us that use our mixer more than standard normalization.

Positional Audio - I find this makes me dizzy when it's a "feature" in games. Thankfully, I know this can be disabled.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:35:06 AM by Aristile »

R0xxi

• Novice
  • She rocks socks!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »

I've used both for years...and am open to either. IF everyone is set up correctly, the quality that comes from Mumble is excellent...AND it does remain a free application.

But, I've had issues where not everyone has the proper set up...and people end up sounding like they're in a fish tank...

Trial and error...

Let's check it out guys!

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »

I used Teamspeak back in my Guild Wars 1 days, so it was a long time ago now, but honestly the service wasn't really up to scratch, laggy and unstable, and when I started playing WoW with a guild who had a Vent server the difference was night and day. I really don't have any objections to continuing to use Ventrilo, as it has served us well in the past. Mumble I have no first hand experience with, but I've heard people claim that it is miles better than Ventrilo and vice-versa. I say go with whichever requires the least effort or will net us the best deal.

Tabaxion

• Baron
    • Indeed Podcast
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »

I am for staying on Vent, but Cost is a driving factor here.  If Mumble is a good source, and inexpensive, I don;t see the problem on moving.   We need to first get the finances in order then expand from there.  (It is a Budget thing) 

-TAB-
Tabaxion

Show Co-Host and all around good guy

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

I talked to a couple friends at work and they said Mumble is great, has an in-game transparent interface too which sounds neat. Other than that I don't have much to say other than I'm flexible.

Docdead

• Owner
  • Baron
    • Show X
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »

I'd say, if you are proactive, feel free to check them each out. I know that R0xxi, Kopii, and I tried Mumble out the other night and it sounded great.... Except that for some reason, Kopii couldn't hear me well at all and couldn't talk... Weird. But as for the sound quality between R0xxi and I and the random lurker that was there, it sounded really good. I'm curious about the in-game features it has and the supposed low latency. I think that TeamSpeak is out as I consistently hear really bad things about it. Again, I will let all of you decide.

Tabaxion

• Baron
    • Indeed Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »

we did a a few games with Mumble, and also got a random Lurker.   (sigh)  who sang to us. (more sigh)
But it wasn't bad.  I need to tweek it a bit.  But so far so good.

-TAB-
Tabaxion

Show Co-Host and all around good guy

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »

Can we administrate it? That is pretty important (as you gathered from the free entertainment).
Pages: [1] 2